1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Strategies for Conserving Battery in Panasonic G3

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by hunyuan7, May 18, 2012.

1. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Do you know of settings in the Panasonic G3 that will save its battery from being used up so quickly?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Crn3371

Crn3371 Mu-43 Rookie

May 14, 2012
    I don't have anything specific to the G3. In general terms you want to limit the use of the LCD, and in the case of the G3, also he EVF. If you're prone to chimping try to cut back. Turn off image review, or at least dial down the display time.

3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    how quick is it being used up? Are you looking at all day use or a few hours?

4. AnttiV

AnttiV Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2012
    Finland
    I'm getting WAY more battery life with my G3 than was advertised. I Regularly get 300-400+ (couple of times even 500+) shots with one recharge. I don't know if I'm using it any differently than others, but here goes:

* Kit 14-42 lens, OIS enabled, shooting RAW + jpeg.

* I use EVF 99% of the time, LCD is almost always in the "closed" position. (I usually even use menus via EVF). Blame my DSLR-background, I never got used to shooting via the screen.

* I have it sleep on 30s to 1min delay, depending on day. BUT, I usually manually shut it off while I'm walking around. The thing wakes up faster than me, so turning it on is of no consequence to me, it's ready to shoot way before I'm done framing the shot.

* I shoot maybe around 50-150 shots per day, very very rarely more. Some days go by with only a couple dozens shots. Maybe the battery drains faster if one shoots many shots in a row.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    I always carry a spare battery, even for a couple of hours of use. When I shoot, I get trigger happy. I do use the LCD to shoot photos. And, I do video record a lot. Now, I am about to go on a trip and access to an electrical outlet may not be convenient to find.

6. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    EU
    All in all, what is better for battery life in G3 - turning camera on and off or camera sleep mode? My DSLR is far more efficient in terms of battery life if I don't swich it off too often (starting camera drains more energy than sleep mode). I would like how does it work on EVIL cameras :)

7. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Avoid making calls, playing games, and texting :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Don't use the LCD, turn off the EVF when not needed, don't worry about checking your shots, and turn the camera off frequently. I forgot to take a charger on a trip once -- my G2 lasted the entire week, for god knows how many shots.

• Like Like x 1
  9. micz87

micz87 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    EU
    Beside avoiding calls, texting, playing etc ( ;) ) I will try this advice :) Now I am making not more then 200 shots on full battery.

10. AnttiV

AnttiV Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2012
    Finland
    Just put my battery to the charger after the G3 beeped me. Exactly 400 shots on the card since last recharge.

11. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    If power points are not going to be readily available, I would also consider getting more batteries instead of just having 1 spare.

3rd party batteries off ebay are pretty cheap and work fine, with power indicator too. I got mine from dstebattery. Just do a search.

12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Does this actually help? I recall someone tested this to find little difference.

13. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    I bought a Wasabi battery off Amazon for $18-19 including shipping.
    Power indicator works fine.