Straps

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Bullfrog....your dead on...
I have, well to many...my favorite is the braided neck strap...it's very easy to wrap around the wrist to use it as a wrist strap....
then I also have a few wrist straps....they may cost more but there is nothing that even comes close to the quality and feeling.
New, it feels like an old soft friend.....

ahhhhh geeeze...look at my tired old a**....
all excited about straps.......

it's the hobbyist coming to the surface....oh my........
breathe shooter....time to process a few images.....

shooter

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Well, I'm convinced... I've got to have a Luigi wrist strap and neck strap... they look very, very comfortable! :cloud-9-039:

Cheers

Brian

Alan Wolf

Mu-43 Regular
2 more strap makers

Here's links to my two favorite straps:

http://www.kameraleder.com/strap.htm

This is a black leather strap, really well made, with a nice cut and good (non padded) pad area. I wanted to use one on my GF1, but the lugs are not quite deep enough, and I like not using rings in the flat style lugs.

http://www.upstrap-pro.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PLST

Currently using these on my GF1 (RF model) and 5D (SG Kevlar). The thing about these straps is that THEY JUST DON'T SLIP. It's amazing how much looser my shoulders stay when I just don't think about how my camera might be slipping off.

matmcdermott

Mu-43 Regular
It is indeed amazing how well the Upstrap stays on your shoulder. My only gripe about them is that the pad is too stiff to use with the strap wrapped around your wrist. Perhaps the two are mutually exclusive...

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Mat,
Right again.It worked well on the 5d but that's it. It's a shoulder strap only.
Forget about the wrist...

I got 2 if anyone needs one.....Freebie not sale...
Shooter

hohoho

Mu-43 Regular
I have a wrist-strap on my Hexar and on my (recent, 35mm) Bessa.

First I had a wide, super-tough-looking affair. (I forget the brand name.) It was rather inflexible: I could of course bend it but it didn't automatically bend itself. And its edge chafed slightly against my hand.

So after a few days of irritation I went back to the store and bought the cheapest, slimmest, simplest strap there was. It's excellent: very comfortable, very secure. No, it doesn't have a quick-release option, but (i) this means there's no QR doodad to come unstuck; (ii) it doesn't need one; it just loops around itself so you remove it by unlooping it; (iii) it's so light and small that I never want to remove it.

Get something cheap and use the money left over for film. Oh, right, no film. Well, on beer or something.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
hohoho,

I'm using a wii strap at the moment - works really well, but as soon as Luigi gives me an answer, my order is going in. :biggrin:

Cheers

Brian

hohoho

Mu-43 Regular
I'm using a wii strap at the moment - works really well, but as soon as Luigi gives me an answer, my order is going in.
I'm sure it will be well made and I expect that you'll enjoy it.

Meanwhile, I'm going to get a beer.

Oh, my own G1 (freshly returned from the factory) has a neckstrap that says "Nikon F5" in big letters. Now that this incredibly professional and great strap (which I bought used for next to nothing) is on my G1, I'm confident that I'll be able to take photos like a true professional. All I need is one of those funny waistcoats with lots of little pockets, and a brick of Tri-X.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
After a couple of weeks using my Lowepro Speedster strap, I have gone back to my Mr Zhou leather wrist strap. While a conventional strap is good for carrying the camera around your neck and, if long enough, across the body - both of which are fine when on holiday, I like the quickness of having the camera in my hand and being able to fire off a shot single handed.

Alan Wolf

Mu-43 Regular
I'm sure it will be well made and I expect that you'll enjoy it.

Meanwhile, I'm going to get a beer.

Oh, my own G1 (freshly returned from the factory) has a neckstrap that says "Nikon F5" in big letters. Now that this incredibly professional and great strap (which I bought used for next to nothing) is on my G1, I'm confident that I'll be able to take photos like a true professional. All I need is one of those funny waistcoats with lots of little pockets, and a brick of Tri-X.
I’ve found that if you use a brick of Panatomic X under your camera you won’t need as much sharpening:wink:

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I've got a Y Strap... used it quite a bit for the E-620 with a moderate sized lens (14-150, or 12-60) - the camera lies against your body quite nicely.

Unfortunately, the G1 shape tends to bounce around a bit due to the shape - at least with the 14-45 fitted it seems 'cube' like.

The Pen shape works pretty well on a simple, soft leather neck strap... I'm pretty sure it will also work well on a wrist strap.

Keep an eye on those G1 strap lugs if you're going to use the Y-Strap - it connects to just one point on your cam.

Cheers

Brian

oris642

Mu-43 Regular
That Y strap looks interesting. I have a strap that I use from an old camera bag similar to how he is using his Y strap. The problem is, and I think similar to his strap, is that to keep the camera tight against my body, the strap doesn't have enough give in it to hold the camera out with an LCD. This solution would be perfect for those using an OVF/EVF though. If I allow for enough give to take a picture with my PEN where the camera is out and away from my body, then the camera is no longer tight against me, but flopping around on my side a little.

Dj
+1 for the Y-Strap. I find it easy to hold onto the lens with my left hand if I'm walking through a narrow passage. Discreet without a camera right in front of you. Also, hanging a strap around your neck cuts off blood circulation.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I have a couple of Black Rapid 'R' straps... the shoulder pads are a bit bulky for my liking (for a small camer) - but the carabiner style fixing is good.

Cheers

Brian

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Second on Roni's post

The Y-strap (original or homemade) is a great invention. Just as 'handy' as a wrist strap, but leaves the camera in a more protected place under your arm. With the right length of strap, it also is useful for steadying the camera. YMMV. Apologize in advance for being a bit off topic!

I have a light wrist strap, but rarely use it. :smile:

BartonFlyer

Mu-43 Regular
The Y-strap (original or homemade) is a great invention. Just as 'handy' as a wrist strap, but leaves the camera in a more protected place under your arm. With the right length of strap, it also is useful for steadying the camera. ........
Tom - I've just ordered a Y strap as I like the idea - How do you find it with a "larger" lens on the camera - I have an E-P2 and have also just got the Panasonic 45-200 lens & wonder about carrying that on the Y strap?
Cheers
Ian

Jolliger

Mu-43 Rookie
I made my own strap a few weeks back, similar to the Y strap. Got the idea from a single loop shoulder strap I had purchase for my strimmer, had some 25mm webbing, slide buckles and trigger swivel hook. got a hand grip strap with tripod fitting off Ebay, fitted my webbing in place of the hand grip strap

Lots more comfortable and convenient than the neck strap.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom