Straps

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Bullfrog, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

One of the joys of :43: is that we've got a lot more freedom in how we carry our gear around. I love that I can feel safe and comfortable carrying my GF1 on a wriststrap.

I got a couple of wriststraps here: http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/ and just wanted to share the site here. If you're hunting for a decent wriststrap these are, i.m.o., top rate.

• Like Like x 3
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Very helpful and they're nice looking, too. Glad to get a firsthand recommendation.:cool:

3. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I have been using a leather strap from China. Hand made and reasonable quality. The cost was USD 18.50 including shipping anywhere in the world. That price includes the stap bumper.

4261715630_837e8d073d.

The guy seems to make these in batches of 10 and at the moment only tan and light tan are available.

Mr Zhou

I have actully since returned to a full stap and am using a Lowepro Speedster. Surprisingly cheap and just the right size for the E-P1. The only downside is the quick release catches are a little on the large size.

[​IMG]

The rubberised woven back is very good and makes for a secure grip over the shoulder and the strap can be adjusted suffictly for most people to cater for around the neck use or diagonally.

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Nice suggestion Bullfrog, I have been wondering about picking up a Wii remote wrist strap for a similar purpose?

Also, there are some threads running on dpreview at the moment about strap lugs falling out of the GH1/G1 - I don't know how much load the GF1 lugs have been designed to take?

Cheers

Brian

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
  6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Get a Luigi's. You deserve the best and so does the Pen.
    Shooter

7. BBW

Luigi's?

8. Bullfrog

9. BBW

Very nice looking - thanks Bullfrog. Perhaps he'll have the Olympus ones ready by the time I finally buy the camera.:smile:

10. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Still waiting for Luigi to do a case for the Olympus Pen :clapping:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bullfrog

12. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks Bullfrog - I love the shape of the camera 'naked' so to speak, so I'm not sure about a full leather case. I've already got the Olympus half leather case, but rarely use it. The soft leather neck strap is really nice though!

Cheers

Brian

13. BBW

Thanks Bullfrog - I was wondering about 1/2 leather case, etc., as well.

14. robperks

robperks Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2009
    Ventura, Ca
    I have been using those for about 3 months now on my GF1 and my Canon XTi. I keep the cameras in a top load zoom type bag, over the shoulder diagonally, then use the wrist strap when I am take pictures, in challanging situateions, i.e. rolling on the bike or hanging over the edge of something etc.

I like the functionality, and the lightness. The downside is they do not look nearly as classy as the ones in the first post

15. Roni G

Roni G Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2010
    Israel
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason

Thanks! I think I will get one then. I'm looking for functional, not form, LOL. I don't care much for leather either because it generally has higher maintanance.

Dj

17. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason

That Y strap looks interesting. I have a strap that I use from an old camera bag similar to how he is using his Y strap. The problem is, and I think similar to his strap, is that to keep the camera tight against my body, the strap doesn't have enough give in it to hold the camera out with an LCD. This solution would be perfect for those using an OVF/EVF though. If I allow for enough give to take a picture with my PEN where the camera is out and away from my body, then the camera is no longer tight against me, but flopping around on my side a little.

Dj

18. BBW

The Y Strap looks good, especially now that he's making it in black for those who want to be less obtrusive...and I like the fact that it can be adjusted for such things as a down jacket, and can be worn underneath a jacket, as well. I've always hated carrying anything around my neck that hangs down - including binoculars.

It does appear to be easily and quickly adjustable which if so would make it useful for the LCD view two, I'd think.

Thanks Roni G.

19. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I use binoculars for astronomical purposes, and the binos hanging around my neck drives me nuts!

Dj

20. Bullfrog

I'm having a serious drool over Luigi's stuff! I love bits and pieces like that.

Shooter - damn you, you've prompted my "have to have" response:wink::smile: