Strapping up

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by everythingsablur, Aug 26, 2010.

1. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Curious to know how people keep their cameras attached to themselves (if at all). Neck strap? Hand strap? Nothing?

If you use something other than the OEM strap, would love to know what it is, where you got it, and what you like/don't like about it.

I think the OEM Panny strap looks fine, but don't find it really all that comfortable. At the same time, I don't think I want a huge bulky but comfy strap for a camera that's already pretty small... Dilemma dilemma...
  2. back alley

back alley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2010
    hand strap = wrist strap?
  3. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Depends -

On which camera. I have a hand/wrist strap on the E-P1 that attaches with a mini-carabiner looking clip to one of the split rings, that I can detach and replace with a shoulder strap that has similar attachments.

But the GF1, G1 and Nikon all have shoulder straps. Mainly because I haven't figured out a way on the GF1 to attach the wrist and shoulder straps where they can be easily swapped out, due to the strap attachment slot on the GF1, and I think the G1 and D300 are too big for me to use a hand/wrist strap comfortably.
  4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I'm spoiled. Yep and I admit to being a Luigi addict.
    I have the LeHooks on my neck straps and wrist straps.
    Everything is interchangeable.
    It's like a high end strap system.
  5. back alley

back alley Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2010
    i use a mr. zhou wrist strap on my g1, fits nice, is a bit bigger for bigger hands or when wearing gloves.
  6. jbart

jbart Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    wrist strap

I really missed the wrist strap on my little point and shoot (which we have dropped several times while not using the strap!) I have an E-PL1 and found the neck strap is in the way at times although handy for shoulder carrying. I found a nice simple wrist strap that is very simple and comfortable. I think the brand is "Matin". I think if I had a QR for my neck strap I would still use it occasionally.
    I find the epl1 very small and light and easy to carry on my wrist. Otherwise I put it in a small camera bag/pouch.
    Matin Digital Wool Wrist Strap Straps M-7231 - Vistek Canada Product Detail
    Since my P&S died recently :frown: I cant take photos of my camera or lenses anymore
  7. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    I have been using a leather wrist stap on my E-P1 and I wouldn't use anything else on a camera of that size.
  8. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    Based on all the recommendations here, I got a Gordy's wrist strap. It arrived a few days ago and I'm very pleased with the quality.
  9. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    I'm not a fan of wrist straps. I prefer a neck strap and keep it slung on my shoulder.
  10. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I often use the straps that come with the cameras - I am using the Panny one now. However I have some older straps I used to use with my medium format equipment, including one that has a tie-dye pattern whenever I want to look like a complete idiot. They are so wide the GF1 looks like a toy when I tried one out.
  11. John Jarosz

John Jarosz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2010
    Chicago Area
    Currently I have a hand strap. But I may go to a neck strap. I've gotten addicted to the 1" wide Hasselblad straps. 'Course you have to cut off the Hasselblad latch that hooks onto their buttons on the camera. After that it's a breeze, just feed the ends onto the triangular (or round) split rings mounted on the cameras. The triangular ones on the E-P1 are perfect.

12. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    i have G1 and I'm currently using the OEM strap. I have not had time to try anything else yet. I prefer something longer than the OEM one. I like the Domke Gripper series. I have them on my Leica M3 and Bessa R. I might try one on my G1 too.
  13. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
  14. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    No experience but thanks for the link - they look very nice.

One thing I often do is increase the strap length and put my arm through it and over the head so the camera hangs closer to my side. To balance it I can put the camera bag or another camera the same way on the other side (I put the bag on first to give the camera maximum freedom).

Before zooms this was also a handy way to have 3 cameras ready with 3 different lenses or films. Nice for news or sports shooting.
  15. BruPri

BruPri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2010

Hand strap on the Canon S-90
    Neck strap on the E-P1
  16. StephenL

StephenL Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2010
    Y Strap on my E-P2, and a Black Rapid on my G2. That's when I use a strap at all. If I'm carrying kit in my Billingham Hadley I just pick the camera out of the bag and drop it back in when I'm done.
  17. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    I'm one of the two (currently) who likes to live dangerously! With hand held close up photography, such as following flighty insects a strap is nothing more than a nuisance, for landscape work off a tripod its superfluous, as indeed it is for pictorial work again off a tripod. Whilst I don't do any street photography at the moment, but who knows I might attempt some soon, I prefer the Cartier-Bresson approach with the camera held down to ones side, raising it for the shot, then basically hiding it again.

18. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

Optech wrist straps on my EP-1 and E-PL1. Very comfortable (neoprene) and have quick releases. The camera is always in one of my three bags (depending on how many lenses etc I'm carrying) and is simply pulled out when required.
  19. Oopsydaisy74

Oopsydaisy74 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
    When I replace my 7D with the GH1/2, I intend to use my Crumpler Industry Disgrace :biggrin:
  20. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    I almost exclusivley use a wrist strap on the e-p1, straight through the lug, with the d-rings removed.

I've also made a sling out of the supplied neck strap (by sewing the ends together) which I thought I might use if I wanted my hands free - in practice I hardly pick it up.