1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Strap Suggestions

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by zpierce, Apr 22, 2012.

1. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
    I have a strap that is pretty comfortable right now, but I've longed for a strap that detaches at the camera easily so I could quickly detach it when I don't want to deal with it, or if I want to quick change for a wrist strap. When I'm out walking around shooting regularly, I'm happy to wear my camera with the neck strap. But if it's a trip where it's in and out of the bag periodically, I'd much prefer to quick change to a wrist strap. Does anyone have any suggestions for such a beast? Most of the straps I've seen, like mine, detach 4-6" from the camera. I don't want dangling strap parts.

Thanks,
    Zach

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I have just the strap you're looking for on one of my cameras, which attaches on the camera via two little leather lugs. Unfortunately, it was from an old SLR kit made way back in the film days (one of the interchangeable neck straps even has film canister holders) so I couldn't tell you where to get one anymore. I know I ain't ever getting rid of mine... ;)

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I have a similar question, I'm not sure if it's exactly the same as what you're looking for... I want a setup which allows me to quickly switch between a wrist strap and a neck strap. I'm finding that neither one is what I want all the time. I know OP/TECH has a quick release system but I'm not sure if it's standard across everything or what.

4. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    I just bought a Black Rapids sling strap, which I'm happy with. The strap is a loop with a pad for your shoulder. It passes through a loop which is attached via a swivel to a stud that threads into the tripod mount. There is a sort of a mini threaded shackle which attaches the loop to the stud part.

Maybe it will make more sense if I just post the link:

RS-4 R-Strap » BlackRapid.com

It is a bit pricey, but seems to work really well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Attached one of these to each end of the camera strap. Attach a split ring at the strap connect points on the camera body.

6. Monza76

Monza76 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2012
    The Black Rapid straps are "different" in that they hang the camera upside down at your hip but they certainly fit the bill since you can attach a wrist strap to the camera as well. This allows you to sling the camera yet quickly disconnect it and use the wrist strap. The only problem is that the Black Rapid connector uses the tripod mount so the camera no longer sits level on a table top and can't use a quick release tripod mount (unless it allows for both). Worth checking out but it isn't for everyone.

7. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
  8. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    I use the Optech Cam Strap - QD for a wrist strap which I leave on most of the time. I also got the Bin/Op Strap - QD for a longer 2 point strap but it's only long enough to go around my neck. Both of these use a coupler that's only as long as my GX1 is tall. When I walk I like to loop the camera under my arm and slightly behind my back. The Bin/Op Strap is not long enough to do this so I'm still trying to think of a longer option, or I may try to see if they make custom lengths.

9. Rover

Rover Mu-43 Regular

Apr 5, 2012
  10. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    You might want to check this Artisan & Artist Silk Cord Strap.
    It is a neck strap but you can wrap it around easily in your arms to make it function like a hand strap. And because it's a cord construction, you can easily wrap it in your arms unlike the flat neck strap.

Artisan & Artist Silk Cord Strap

• Like Like x 1
  11. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

Straps

I currently have 2 straps on mine and have been toying with a over the neck strap, wrist strap, and the palm strap (holds camera firmly in hand).

Problem with the palm strap is that since most of the straps were made for Standard size SLR's, you really cant grip it nicely to take shots, its great for holding the camera snug, but meh or so-so for taking pictures.

The over the neck one i have is an old sandisk one that lets me unclip the camera while i use the wrist strap.

Camera Grip Hand Strap
    Amazon.com: Camera Grip / Hand Strap (simulated leather) for SLR camera Nikon / Canon / Minolta / Fuji: Camera & Photo

Wrist Strap
    Amazon.com: OP/TECH USA 1802021 Cam Strap QD- for Compact Cameras and Binoculars -Neoprene (Red): Camera & Photo

I would actually love a hand strap specifically made for the GF3

12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yup. Very handy. I have two sling/glide straps, a conventional neck strap, and a couple of wrist straps, all with quick disconnect fittings. The key is using a pushbutton release rifle swivel: UNCLE MIKE'S QD 100 SLING SWIVEL - Brownells Not my idea; I stole it from Lu.ma's old sling design.

P1000825. [​IMG]

These are easy to make, requiring no more than an ordinary sewing machine or, with leather, a few simple tools. You could even hand-sew the nylon webbing if you don't have access to a sewing machine. If you make your own straps, you get exactly what you want, too.

If you decide you want to try making your own, PM for some more details and materials sources.

13. jsphoto

jsphoto New to Mu-43

Aug 13, 2012
    Ottawa, Canada
    J
    I got the uncle mikes connectors, what did you use to keep the wire inside the lug?

14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    It's a little fiddly. I made a sort of S-shaped anchor from 0.041" stainless aircraft safety wire. It's ubiquitous in aircraft shops but not easy to find elsewhere. I'm sure any flight school's mechanics would be happy to give you a foot or two, but any good, stiff, steel wire will do. I would check local hardware stores to see if they have spring steel wire in about that diameter.

Here's a photo:

P1020466_1.

The barrel is designed to be attached to a rifle stock with a flat-head (countersunk) screw. There is not a lot of clearance inside between the end of a seated pushbutton swivel and where the top of that screw would be. I actually cheated with mine and used a 3/8" end mill to flatten the countersunk area and give me a little more space. But that takes an end mill and a drill press. :smile: Since I forgot to mention that little wrinkle, if you find you need that done you can send me the barrels and I'll cut 'em for you. PM me for an address.

15. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I just made a few more barrel connectors tonight using a different design that eliminates the ugly knot. I took a few photos during the process, including showing how easy it is to make those little "S" anchors..

If anyone is actually interesting in making these, let me know and I will upload and show the photos.

16. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Interested! I have a BR strap on my d300s. I detest their carabiner and connector.
    DaveL
    Toronto

17. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    OK. I didn't know if anyone was listening! :) And yes, the BR hardware is heavy and ugly IMHO too.

Just to review, this is a quick-release system using pushbutton rifle sling swivels. They are available from various vendors with 1" or 1 1/4" loops. The 1" loops work fine for 1" and 3/4" straps, nylon, polyester, or leather. One excellent source is Brownell's. The one I use is UNCLE MIKE'S QD 100 SLING SWIVEL Lu.ma originated this great idea, but have unfortunately withdrawn from the business.

The "barrel" that the swivel plugs into is designed to be anchored in the rifle stock using a flat-head screw. There is not a lot of clearance between the top of the countersunk screw hole and the bottom of the swivel. So, some hassle: What I have done is to flatten the bottom of the barrels with a 3/8" end mill (sort of a flat-ended drill) chucked in a drill press. It may be possible to get enough clearance using an ordinary drill bit. I don't know and it depends on what you want to put into the barrel (anchor, knot, etc.). My first attempts with cord (see photos of red cord above) used 1.5mm accessory cord and the knot had to be external.

Here you can see some barrels with the bottoms flattened:
    barrels.

I recently found a nifty 0.9mm cord: Handy Hundred Cord This cord is nylon or polyester (they don't say), so it cuts and seals nicely with a hot knife blade. Shipping charges are high, though, so you may want to hunt up something else locally.

As I said above, the "S" anchors are made from 0.041 stainless steel aircraft safety wire but you can probably hunt up some stiff steel wire locally even if you can't find that. Making them is easy.

1: Grab a piece of wire with a needle-nose pliers and bend the 90 degree angles. Use another pair of pliers to squeeze the wire, making the bends sharp.

mandrel1.

2: Trim the wire to suit the curve and bend it into place using another pair of pliers.

mandrel2.

The anchors don't have to be perfect or beautiful, as you can see from mine in the first photo. They just have to fit into the barrels.

Now lay out the cord, making two loops. This is so that if one cord wears or breaks, you have another holding your camera. I made my loops about 2 1/4" long. This results in all the strap hardware hanging below the camera body and out of the way. You might want to choose another length.

cord1.

Wrap the two ends into an overhand knot around the loops and tighten it, taking care to keep the two loops as close to the same length as possible. Make two overhand knots. After tying, I soaked my knots with super glue.

cord2.

Finally, pull the loops through the barrel ends and snug the anchor in place. I then used a little epoxy glue inside and outside the barrel to immobilize the cord. The edges of the hole in the barrel might be sharp enough to wear/cut the cords and I don't want to take a chance.

finished.

That's it! I made a bunch because I had a pair of binoculars I wanted to use with my camera straps plus a newly-purchased Canon G12 that needed barrels. Here are the binos:

binos.

Lots of opportunity for creativity here. If you figure out new and better ways to do this, please post them for the rest of us.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Hand of the master!

I stopped using my BR Sling for some time. Another poster at POTN had his carabiner fail. It's a cheap one that has been remanufactured, with a pin welded to it, with a wire loop welded to that. His failed at the gate. It broke at the notch, so it was free to swivel. My concern was that the weld might be bad, or might fail.

I appreciate you offering this solution. I was too slow to pick up the kit that Luma Loop offered for a while. q

DaveL

19. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    I use a Black-Rapid RS-7 strap for all my cameras. It attaches to a special lug or tripod adapter, so I only had to buy one strap. Yes, they are expensive, but don't even think about buying a cheaper brand. This is a high quality product. BTW, I would only carry a bridge camera or an M43 by the tripod socket, never a regular DSLR.

20. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Any market that crushes its boxes and bales the cardboard will have a stock of baling wire and would probably give you an end cut. Remember, this wire is designed to tie bales created under thousands of pounds of pressure; although easily bent to shape, but with a high tensile strength.