Strap Suggestions for G5?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by snegron, Jul 23, 2013.

1. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    I still carry my G5 with the strap that came in the box when I purchased it. I would like to get a more comfortable strap. While I have several aftermarket straps I purchased for my DSLR's, they are either too wide or too bulky for my G5. Any suggestions?

2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I'm using an Artisan and Artist 103n for my GH3, a bit on the pricey end though.

3. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I'm using the Peak design leash and cuff.

Barely wide and thick enough to keep it comfortable but lovely inside the bag.
    Super quick attach, detach, and interchange with the wrist strap makes it quite convenient.

https://peakdesignltd.com/leash-cuff/

4. dechoder

dechoder Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    Just got myself a Joby Ultrafit sling.. haven't tested it out yet though..

5. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.

[

T2XXSsXgVbXXXXXXXX_!!16787049.

I have one on my G5 and one on my EM5. Very, VERY nice quality. Price circa $11.00 on eBay. Look at the above photos, pick your color, then search on eBay for the "Cam18nn" where "nn" equals the correct number for your color. Perfect scale/fit for Mu4/3.

FWIW, the loops that attache to the camera are extremely strong. One of these days I'll put up a video showing how the strap holds my weight by the loops. If you do not like/trust those, remove the quick release from both ends of the strap and use it as a traditional strap in conjunction with the D-Rings that come with it.

woof!

6. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    I've been deciding on the Leash & Cuff and Joby sling,I'm also still using the same one as the OP.

7. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
    Woof,
    Is there anything on the underside of the cam-in strap that is tachy/rubbery/non-slippish?

8. nymytemaus

nymytemaus Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2013
    NYC
    Jane
    strap for the G5

I've been using the Joby sling strap myself and kind of like it. I like to go hiking sometimes and what I like about the Joby is that it can be locked into place and the camera kept close to my body so it doesn't swing about. Also, if I bend down I'm less worried that the camera will swing forward and hit something. I also like using a wrist strap and hand holding the camera, but the neoprene Optech strap I've been using can get sticky and sweaty in extreme heat so am considering switching to a different hand/wrist strap, I don't know which one yet though.

Hope this helps!

9. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I've started to use a DSPTCH one (see banner on top of this page) a few days ago, and so far I'm happy with it.
    It does not have a rubbery non slip on the underside, but so far I found it very comfortable, it is enough articulated (because of the 2 plastic rings) and have quick release system.

10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I also use the Peak Design and find it very comfortable even with the P100-300.

The main advantage is it flexibility which allows you to set the leash according to your liking.

11. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    This one is so awesome!!! :D I can remove the cuff or leash in seconds. :2thumbs:

12. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Unfortunately no. I know what you mean. The narrow Pentax straps from back in the PZ1-P days had this. Not present. FWIW, I do carry casually at times over one shoulder with lens in small of back, and these have never slipped on me. But I would not carry this way where moving fast or over uneven terrain.

woof!

13. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
  14. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    I use the OpTech Compact Sling. Much better proportioned for M43 sized cameras. I could understand how some people might not feel comfortable with the thin string like camera attachment. First thing I did when I got mine was hook the loop to a hook screwed into a stud in my garage and try to break it. I probably could have broken it if I wanted too but I pulled hard enough to realize that something on my camera would probably break before the strap does.

Amazon.com: OP/TECH USA 3401002 Compact Sling for Cameras (Black): Camera & Photo

15. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Just an aside- if you want a really 'sticky' grippy strap, check out the Think Tank straps. I personally felt this strap was too grippy for me, and went with the Tamrac above - but might be what you are looking for.

16. db96

db96 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Central Indiana
  17. blotto

blotto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston, TX
    What kind of strap are you looking for? Shoulder, neck, wrist? I myself have the Gordy wrist strap and love it.

9320147727_a026ec2e39_b.
    Olympus E-M5 by Z.Jaime, on Flickr

18. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida

I'm open to suggestions, but I'm used to using shoulder straps. I was hoping for a more comfortable strap, one that doesn't slip as much as the one that came with the G5.

19. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
  20. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    The original Panasonic strap that came with the G5 have a rubberized face to avoid slip, that is good.
    The only problem I see on the recent Panasonic straps is the narrow width. I wish they could be like the old G1 strap.
    Panasonic designers began to exaggerate the miniaturization, in my opinion.