Strap, sling or other carrying system for E-M1 mkII

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by LarsT, Jul 16, 2017.

1. LarsT

LarsT New to Mu-43

Jul 16, 2017
    After 3 months I still use the original strap that comes with the camera. Prior to buying the E-M1 and the 300mm f4 I had the original E-M5 and the 40-150mm f2.8 and was then using a sling.

However the sling I had was not working great with the new setup. I'm now looking to get something new, the original strap isn't the worst but I feel there must be better things out there.

Would appreciate any advice on what to get. 90% of the time I have 300mm f4 on the camera as birds and wildlife is my main genre.

EDIT: I forgot to say that I'm often out shooting for long periods of time.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. kawhona

kawhona Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Phoenix
    Don Thompson
    Im using a peak design sling and for me it works great

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I honestly don't use a strap with my EM1 and 150/2. I just carry it around by the tripod foot and find that works very well. When I am trying to sneak up on a subject straps just get into the way and tend to get caught on every bush as you pass it. I do bring my BlackRapid strap that they make for backpacks with me in case I run into a situation where I need both hands......like working my way along a downed tree in the swamp or something like that. If I am using two bodies and want them both available quickly I will either use my BlackRapid dual strap or use two of the backpack straps, just depends on the situation and what other gear I have with me.

4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I am now a fan of the Peak Design stuff. Because of the quick disconnects you can easily switch from a hand strap to a neck strap to the cross chest "leash" to any other type of strap you want to use for the situation. So putting one strap on a camera and leaving it there full time hoping most of the time it will be good enough is gone. So for shooting with some light primes you might choose no strap at all, a hand strap, or perhaps the leash to wear all day. But then when shooting with a bigger heavier lens like your 300/4 PRO or my ZD 50-200mm you can swap to a wider more padded neck or shoulder strap suitable for heavier loads for longer period of time. They also sell various anchors so you can attach the camera to a backpack strap, belts, or other more rigid mount.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. LarsT

LarsT New to Mu-43

Jul 16, 2017
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I will go to my local store and try them out. I like the idea of having connection points on the camera able to attach different solutions for the occasion.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    I like the BlackRapid products. I feel that with flip out screens like the EM-1 ii they are far superior to regular camera straps. The weight of the lens is on your shoulder and you control the camera almost subconsciously with your right hand,where it is ready to go into action at a moment's notice.I like using it with a big lens,since it is not constricting your neck while carrying it. You can pretty easily carry two cameras. One the regular way with a neck strap and the other on your side. Since one camera is at your side it is practically invisible.The downside is that it can bang against things on your right side. You must maintain awareness. At first the thought of carrying your camera upside down is disconcerting. There is a learning curve to putting the strap on,but you can get out of your equipment pretty fast,if you wan't to sit down or go to lunch. I find the under arm strap useless,and have removed it.
    The Peak Design products torque badly with a big camera and lens,. I have one but never use it. It might be good for a small flat camera. You are supposed to be able to remove it for action,but the mechanism is not intuitive for me.Many people swear by them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Even easier way to carry two cameras is with the dual strap they make, then you have one on each side. Could add a 3rd if you want to use a neck strap on it.

You can use the sliding bumpers they have on the strap to tuck the camera behind you. Even with my big 150/2 on the EM1 I can get the entire setup to ride behind me and out of the way...........not banging on anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    I like PD shoulder clips for up to a kilo total (tops out at an em-1 + 12-40). But for a 300/4 either I'll hand hold the entire time or use a Cotton Carrier chest mount attached at the tripod foot.

Maybe it's just my physique and history of RSI issues but I think its lunacy to have that much weight on your neck for any amount of time.

9. LarsT

LarsT New to Mu-43

Jul 16, 2017
    Hardly ever use a tripod, I'm most often on the move. I agree that it's too much weight on the neck, that is the primary reason that I'm looking into options. 90% of the time I'm holding the camera even though I have the strap around my neck, it's good in case I need to let go of the camera.

10. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    That's the big advantage of the Cotton Carrier, it's secure enough that both your hands are free even with a big lens, and still fast on the release. I did a fair amount of hiking and occasionally scrambling with it in my Nikon days.

11. Powaysteve

Powaysteve Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2017
    Poway, California
    Try a Lowepro Toploader 75 bag. I used one when I shot with DSLRs and it held a gripped DSLR with a 70-200mm lens easily. It should hold an EM1 with a 300/4. It comes with a chest harness that keeps the bag against your body and it is comfortable, no neck strain. I think there are other companies like Mindshift and Clik that also make top loading bags

12. atarijedi

atarijedi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2015
    I bought the GHB Focus F-1 shoulder sling, only cost $18. Works great. I use it to carry my EM1.2 + Pany 100-400 quite often.

13. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I swap between the Peak Designs slide light and the wrist loop, nice and easy with their system, and easy to take off when you use a tripod etc and need nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I use a combination of Black Rapid products (sling, wrist strap or backpack strap) with RRS clamps and L-plates. Here is a blog post I did on it: Link

15. Northland

Northland Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2016
    Searchmont Ontario Canada
    Marko Koskenoja
    I do a lot of hiking and backpacking with my Lumix G85. I use a Joby UltraFit Strap. It's easily adjustable and points the camera and lens downward either at my side or behind my back (out of my way) but allows for fast access. It's works well with all my lenses including my new P100-300mm II. Some might not likely the bottom tripod mount but it helps get the camera out of the way when moving through the forest.

I also use a Peak Design Capture that I have installed on my backpack chest strap. It's OK with a smaller lens like my 12-60 kit lens but the G85 w/P100-300mm with a weight of 1040 grams overwhelms it and me.

16. DustyGeorge

DustyGeorge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2017
    San Antonio, TX
    Loren, I just finished reading your blog on your EM-1ii carrying system. Very good article, well written. I got several good ideas from it.
    Thanks

17. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Thanks for the kind words!

18. joel1952

joel1952 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 16, 2012
    The Black Rapid "Wrist" Strap looks to be of little use other than for simply "hanging" a point and shoot on one's wrist. OTOH, the Black Rapid "Hand" Strap is a substantial tool for support and stabilization of one's hand-held camera.

Could you please add the Hand Strap review to your excellent blog ? :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  19. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Interesting. I'd have to buy one first. :2thumbs:

20. ocabj

ocabj Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 8, 2017
    Riverside, CA, USA
    I have been using straps or slings with RRS clamps as QR/QD for years. It is the most flexible way to go for me since all of my cameras have Arca compatible plates on them.

2015 Camera Strap Setup

33786007371_ae158867b2_c. ECHONiNER Strap

But when I got the RRS L-plate for the E-M1 Mark II, I saw they machined QD cups to the plate, which means I can run slings or straps with QD swivels and not have to use a clamp.

Mini-Review: Really Right Stuff L-Plate for Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

33061595193_9760379e22_c. Really Right Stuff L-Plate Set for Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

33718437702_e288c142df_c. Really Right Stuff L-Plate Set for Olympus E-M1 Mark II

• Like Like x 1