Strap question

pdxkale

New to Mu-43
I'm looking at migrating to the m4/3 world from Nikon, and one thing that came to mind is the idea of how you folks carry your cameras. I use a black rapid strap for comfort, but I was wondering what people commonly use because of the relatively small and light weight size of your platform of choice. I'm working on getting my hands on one of the OM-D line and will typically be wandering around with either the 25mm olympus or 20mm panasonic for street photography. I'm coming from using a D5100 with the Nikon 50mm 1.8 or Sigma 17-50mm F2.8.

So, what are your thoughts? Wrist strap, neck strap, "sling" style? I'm just curious what the community uses.

tkc9789

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I use the OP/TECH USA Cam Strap for my GX7 with 12-35mm mounted most of the thime.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
OpTech has a sling strap and wrist strap that use the same connector. I have the connector on my m43 and P&S cams and switch between the wrist and sling as needed. Very well priced and worthwhile.

BigTam

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
I used to use slings and neck straps on my Nikons, but prefer either wrist straps or nothing on my E-M5 or X100. Currently have nothing on my M5, and a Gordy's on my X100 (which I mostly leave dangling in thin air ...).

ThereAndBackAgain

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
David
I use a JJC neoprene wrist strap on my E-PL5 and a home-made paracord neckstrap on the E-M5. This leaves both available for instant use without compromising the other. Well, that's the idea, anyway..:wink:

Kai

Mu-43 Rookie
I use either a wrist strap or a longer strap across-the-body style, depensing on gear with me and the situation. I use paracord straps. Love being able to make them just right for me.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
I have an E-M1... still small but not the smallest OM-D... I use an A&A ACAM Slider strap.
They're over-priced, but I really like it and I had a gift-card to spend on Ebay so I bought it there.

I got black:
http://www.artisan-n-artist.com/products_details.php?id=189

I prefer a strap that doesn't have any grippy material on it like the Domkes and others which profess to stay on your shoulder. On those, when you bring the camera up to your eye to take a photo, your shirt tends to slide around. I ripped a shirt with a Domke strap once.

NoTan2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Paul
I got off to a shakey start with the Peak Design Leash and Cuff. The connector on the Cuff worked perfectly but those on the Leash were so tight they were bruising my thumb.
After a few emails to a helpful lady in customer support, it transpires that they changed the design to improve security and I obviously got the old design on the Cuff and the new design on the Leash.
She agreed that my connectors seemed to be out of spec and offered to replace them but postage from Australia made that impractical.

So I performed some careful surgery with a contact file and they now work much better.

I used them all day and every day for five weeks in Europe and found that an E-M5 with a 12-40 was too heavy for comfort using the Cuff for more than 5-10 minutes or so. The Leash in a sling configuration proved to be ideal. I've never used a sling before and found it a big improvement over a neck strap where the camera is always getting in the way. The sling kept the E-M5 out of the way on my left hip and I could rest my hand on the camera for security and some protection from the sun. The strap material slides over clothing easily when you want to take a photo but the edge of the strap can be slightly uncomfortable against your neck when wearing a t-shirt until you get used to it.

The Cuff was perfect for my E-P5 with a small prime.

Both straps are easy to adjust and scrunch up quite small to pack in your bag or pocket.

I've never tried them on my D7000 with a big zoom so I can't comment on their suitability with heavier kit.

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
I used to use a Gordy's wrist strap but switched to a thin black nylon neck strap - mostly I use it wrapped around my wrist but when necessary I can throw it around my neck to free up both hands.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I used to use a Gordy's wrist strap but switched to a thin black nylon neck strap - mostly I use it wrapped around my wrist but when necessary I can throw it around my neck to free up both hands.

I have both, as the Gordys was a gift from a friend who did not like it. It is a great wrist strap, but as I am so used to the thin black nylon straps (and my old Leica strap), I went to the local outdoor fabric store and bought some nylon and made a few straps for my other bodies. At a cost of about $3/strap (including buckles), it was hard to say no. Nonetheless, I do enjoy using the Gordys strap when I shoot with that body.

--Ken

0dBm

Mu-43 Top Veteran
On my GX1 and GH2, I made a shoulder strap from 9mm nylon round climbing rope purchased from a local sporting goods store. For a wrist strap, I use a short, flat nylon climbing loop. I tried several leather versions of each of these straps; however, I did not find any of them to my satisfaction.

aks6674

Mu-43 Veteran
Here's another vote for Leash and Cuff, though I did also back the kickstarter for Slide and Clutch. Won't have those until October, but the leash is my favorite for all day carry, cuff for short trips to the park.

Atom Ant

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Adam
I got off to a shakey start with the Peak Design Leash and Cuff. The connector on the Cuff worked perfectly but those on the Leash were so tight they were bruising my thumb.
After a few emails to a helpful lady in customer support, it transpires that they changed the design to improve security and I obviously got the old design on the Cuff and the new design on the Leash.
She agreed that my connectors seemed to be out of spec and offered to replace them but postage from Australia made that impractical.

So I performed some careful surgery with a contact file and they now work much better.
I also use the PD Leash, but I do find the connector tighter than it needs to be - certainly tighter than in the demo videos I watched before I bought it. I wonder if I have another mismatch. How did you determine that your connectors were off-spec? I'm also in Oz, so maybe I need to use a file on mine too.

Other than that issue, I find that the Leash works well with my E-M1 and E-M5 bodies with any of my m43 lenses. I like that they don't grab my shirt or jacket.:cool:

My E-M1 also has a braided paracord wrist strap, so I can unclip the Leash and wander camera in hand when that suits better. My E-P3 has also has a braided paracord wrist strap and no sling or neck strap.:thumbup:

Viktor1135

Mu-43 Rookie
I use an OP Tech "Envy" strap plus a set of Mini QD adaptors with my GM1 + 14-140mm combo.

Lightweight, very comfortable and adaptable.

fritsk

Mu-43 Regular
I'm using the Peak Design wrist wrap 90% of the time. The other 10% the Peak Design leash. Great design and they work perfectly together....

adamsmt2013

Mu-43 Regular
+1 for the Peak Design Leash and Cuff. I mostly use the Capture on my belt with the Cuff. I got tired of hitting my 3yr old daughter in the head/chest with my camera when I was picking her up.

dohearne

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave Hearne
+1 also to Peak Design cuff/leash plus Capture on belt. I normally use the wrist strap with the Capture but if I will be shooting a lot I'll switch to the leash as a neck strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

D

Deleted member 20897

I continue to use my Black Rapid system. If it is not broken, I'm not going to fix it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom