Strap question

kschles

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ken
I use a Wapiti Spike strap for my GX7. I like the Domke gripper type strap, but find the Wapiti much more comfortable. The Spike is made specifically for mirrorless cameras, and is adjustable to 50". I've used these straps for several years. Just ordered another and wanted it a little bit longer than the standard length (60"). No extra charge for special orders.
http://www.wapitistraps.com

NoTan2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Paul
I also use the PD Leash, but I do find the connector tighter than it needs to be - certainly tighter than in the demo videos I watched before I bought it. I wonder if I have another mismatch. How did you determine that your connectors were off-spec? I'm also in Oz, so maybe I need to use a file on mine too.

Hi Adam,

On the Leash, I needed both thumbs to disengage the anchor from the connector - one to push the anchor down against the very tight spring and the other to push the anchor out. When it let go, one thumb would hit the sharp edges on the connector (painfully). As I explained to the support rep, the spring on the Cuff had quite a lot of movement, whereas the spring on the Leash hardly flexed at all. She agreed that, based on my description, and after trying a few in her office, it was probably a bit too tight.

She did suggest that it should loosen up after a couple of weeks use, so I put on some gloves and worked it back and forth about 50 times with no noticeable effect.

Anyway, I relieved just a tiny bit of the material on the inside of the connector with a very fine file. Now it's a single thumb, painless operation.

If you're going to "improve" your connectors, you might like to proceed very slowly and incrementally. It took very little filing to make a big difference to the ease of operation.

LeeOsenton

Mu-43 Button Clicker
Real Name
Lee Osenton
Cam-in cotton strap $12-25 on fleabay. I ordered a 95mm that was perfect... for an elf. Finally got a 105mm and it is better. They are soft and I like the non-adjustable version because there is nothing to scratch your screen or body. I wrap my camera in like a ball of twine.

Lee

biomed

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike
I use Gordy's wrist straps on my cameras. They get better with age. Nylon or neoprene wrist straps made my wrist sweat and felt uncomfortable. The leather Wrist straps from Gordy are a bit stiff at first but soften up with use. I also loop the wrist strap around my tripod head below the arca-swiss type mount before mounting the camera on the tripod. It provides an extra bit of security when carrying the tripod/camera around.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
I use Gordy's wrist straps on my cameras. They get better with age. Nylon or neoprene wrist straps made my wrist sweat and felt uncomfortable. The leather Wrist straps from Gordy are a bit stiff at first but soften up with use. I also loop the wrist strap around my tripod head below the arca-swiss type mount before mounting the camera on the tripod. It provides an extra bit of security when carrying the tripod/camera around.

I was thinking about Tyson Robichaud's strap. You can see it here:
http://tysonrobichaudphotography.wordpress.com/tt-camera-straps/

I borrowed a GX7 with a Gordy and the strap gave me an odd allergic rash. Even my anti-histamines couldn't hold back the odd rash it produced. Tyson's aren't made with leather (or pleather) so they may be better for someone who has a vexatious reaction to them.

mcrosa

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mike Crosa
Count me in for the Peak Design. I use the sling and love it. The material is strong, supple and soft. When I put it into the camera bag it goes in without a hassle. Can't say that for my Black Rapid I use to use with my E-3

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
Like many others I've been through a lot of straps, slings and camera clips. What I've ended up consistently reaching for are two Black Rapid Metro Slings as I often shoot with two cameras. And when I didn't need a strap/sling just removed it and shot without a wrist strap which I would prefer. So I looked this thread hoping to see something new and check out Peak Designs web site. Low and behold I think they have something coming out that will be extraordinary, the Clutch and the Slide!

Real Name
Walter
OpTech has a sling strap and wrist strap that use the same connector. I have the connector on my m43 and P&S cams and switch between the wrist and sling as needed. Very well priced and worthwhile.

----
I do something similar. I attached the Op-Tech sling strap connector to the left strap loop because I feel it works better that way, and attach their wrist strap to the right strap loop, more or less permanently. Then when I need to use the camera off the sling, I've got the wrist strap on to keep tabs on it. I also bought extra Op-Tech straps and loop connectors and add short leashes to my sling bags so that I don't even need to bring the utility sling if I've got the sling bag on. Love the Op-Tech system - modular, highly adaptable, and reliable. Plus, the neoprene stretchy pads on the straps are very comfortable.

Terrier

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Andy
I know I'm late to the party here but I've really come to appreciate the flexibility of the DSPTCH setup. I can switch pretty much instantly between a braided wrist strap, a really nice sling or no strap at all when using a tripod.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Made My Own

I bought some 1/2" clips online, paid $2 for a new obsolete strap at my local camera shop, bought an 8"x10" sheet of black leather from a craft store, dug in my plastic scrap bin and voila! I have the original triangular rings on the body with strap loops soldering gun welded into place. The piece of leather on the right loop is so I can feed it between my index and 2nd finger without irritation. Clips on the original neck strap and wrist strap let me change from one to the other in seconds. I built a prototype from vinyl and figured out what changes were needed. Total time was about 4 hours plus picking up materials in our travels around town.
Total cost was about $26 and I still have 3/4 of the leather and 5-1/2 clips left.
IMG_1553.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
IMG_1551.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
----
I do something similar. I attached the Op-Tech sling strap connector to the left strap loop because I feel it works better that way, and attach their wrist strap to the right strap loop, more or less permanently. Then when I need to use the camera off the sling, I've got the wrist strap on to keep tabs on it. I also bought extra Op-Tech straps and loop connectors and add short leashes to my sling bags so that I don't even need to bring the utility sling if I've got the sling bag on. Love the Op-Tech system - modular, highly adaptable, and reliable. Plus, the neoprene stretchy pads on the straps are very comfortable.

... and inexpensive ...

MuBear

Mu-43 Regular
I'm definitely looking for a sling strap since I am tired of the camera dangling while walking around. The neck strap and wrist strap works well with rangefinder like cameras with small lenses like the X100s but once you attach a zoom lens, it becomes very uncomfortable. I have an omd-em5 and I need the lens pointing down and right next to my hip so I have been looking for cross body straps like the black rapid sport.

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/sport

At the same time I don't really like the design, it look too "jocky", too padded. I guess you will need that padding if your carrying a D800 but mine is not the case. What I need is only the ConnectR and the Fastenr but I don't think they sell it separately. Anyone here knows of a similar strap?

MuBear

Mu-43 Regular
I'm definitely looking for a sling strap since I am tired of the camera dangling while walking around. The neck strap and wrist strap works well with rangefinder like cameras with small lenses like the X100s but once you attach a zoom lens, it becomes very uncomfortable. I have an omd-em5 and I need the lens pointing down and right next to my hip so I have been looking for cross body straps like the black rapid sport.

http://www.blackrapid.com/products/sport

At the same time I don't really like the design, it look too "jocky", too padded. I guess you will need that padding if your carrying a D800 but mine is not the case. What I need is only the ConnectR and the Fastenr but I don't think they sell it separately. Anyone here knows of a similar strap?

Welp, I take back what I said previously. You can find the carabiner hook and the tripod screw in other places in the market. In fact it's pretty popular.

http://www.amazon.com/FotoTech-Release-Carabiner-Panasonic-Fujifilm/dp/B00HCMK0GS

hillwalkinggirl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Did you find the Optech compact sling safe please?

OpTech has a sling strap and wrist strap that use the same connector. I have the connector on my m43 and P&S cams and switch between the wrist and sling as needed. Very well priced and worthwhile.

Just bought an Optech QD sling compact strap and an Optech QD wrist strap so that I can interchange them with my GX7 and my G6. I'm feeling a bit paranoid as to how secure the quick connectors are on both of these and wondering whether you have had any problems. I've been trying to think of some way to ensure that the connectors don't come apart accidentaly. On my D7000 with the Optech Utility sling I have used velcro connectors over the Quick release connectors but I can't see any way to do the same with the compact ones. Did you find away to do this or did you find the connectors to be safe enough?

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
Never had any problem with any of thevOpTech connectors. I use them in my D7000, and a good friend on his D300.

hillwalkinggirl

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Never had any problem with any of thevOpTech connectors. I use them in my D7000, and a good friend on his D300.

Is it the compact sling you are using with the mini connectors or the utility sling with the larger connectors?

Ted

Mu-43 Regular
I refuse to use anything but leather straps on my guitars, so I applied the same logic to my camera and got a Figosa one from Italy. It's a neck strap, which is how I use it if I'm out bushwalking or something, but for street photography and general use I just wrap the strap around my arm a few times. Takes two seconds and if I drop it, it catches.

Latest threads

Top Bottom