Strap or Harness for cameras and binoculars

SLLm43

Mu-43 Rookie
Advice sought! On a forthcoming trip to a cold, rainy land where I will wear a parka, I'd like to have at hand both my Lumix GX8 with the Lumix 100-400 and my binoculars. I don't want to look like a camera tree and I don't want to look as though I am wearing a police or military tactical vest. I'll be hiking and be getting in and out of small boats.

Black Rapid, Cotton Carrier, Peak Design, and OP/TECH all make straps and harnesses to hold one or two cameras and a binoculars.

As there are no camera stores within 100 miles of my home, I welcome your advice. Thank you!

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter
I've been using the OpTech stuff for years and can vouch for them. Well made, durable, and relatively inexpensive. I like their sling straps to wear cross body. Hate neck straps. I use their Lens Loop with big lenses. Takes the strain off the strap lugs, leaves the tripod foot free. Their stuff is modular, so you can probably rig up a combo camera/binocular strap system fairly easily. Here are some photos of the long lens setup with a Utility Sling Duo. You could probably rig up the second sling to carry your binoculars. I found that putting on the sling first, then putting my backpack or camera bag over it, allows the bag to slide around the side for access and not interfere with the sling.

Here's the Lens Loop with the Utility Sling Duo. I use the second slider for a safety strap which screws into the tripod socket. I use the second sling when I'm carrying two bodies. Since their stuff is so modular, you could unclip the second sling and substitute a strap made for a binoculars. Sorry about the lousy lighting. It's overcast and I just heard some thunder. :-O
IMG_3351.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A closer look. I use the connector on the body's left strap lug when carrying smaller lenses. There's a wrist stap attached to the right lug.
IMG_3353.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
Would two modest straps, set at different heights work for you?
I use two A&A slider straps. One set long for my camera, and one set much shorter for my binocs, both worn cross-chested. They are not quick-release, just regular straps.

Here's the one I have, although I have mine in black - the red one is easier to see the mechanism in photos.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...came25rred_acam_25er_esasy_slider_series.html

It's a rather old-fashioned way of doing things, but since you'll have a big bulky jacket on, a waist-latch-carrier device might not work very well.

SLLm43

Mu-43 Rookie
I've been using the OpTech stuff for years and can vouch for them. Well made, durable, and relatively inexpensive. I like their sling straps to wear cross body. Hate neck straps. I use their Lens Loop with big lenses. Takes the strain off the strap lugs, leaves the tripod foot free. Their stuff is modular, so you can probably rig up a combo camera/binocular strap system fairly easily. Here are some photos of the long lens setup with a Utility Sling Duo. You could probably rig up the second sling to carry your binoculars. I found that putting on the sling first, then putting my backpack or camera bag over it, allows the bag to slide around the side for access and not interfere with the sling.

Here's the Lens Loop with the Utility Sling Duo. I use the second slider for a safety strap which screws into the tripod socket. I use the second sling when I'm carrying two bodies. Since their stuff is so modular, you could unclip the second sling and substitute a strap made for a binoculars. Sorry about the lousy lighting. It's overcast and I just heard some thunder. :-O
View attachment 882692

A closer look. I use the connector on the body's left strap lug when carrying smaller lenses. There's a wrist stap attached to the right lug.
View attachment 882693

Thank you!

SLLm43

Mu-43 Rookie
I use two A&A slider straps. One set long for my camera, and one set much shorter for my binocs, both worn cross-chested. They are not quick-release, just regular straps.

Here's the one I have, although I have mine in black - the red one is easier to see the mechanism in photos.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...came25rred_acam_25er_esasy_slider_series.html

It's a rather old-fashioned way of doing things, but since you'll have a big bulky jacket on, a waist-latch-carrier device might not work very well.

Thank you!

SLLm43

Mu-43 Rookie

Thank you!

mfturner

Mu-43 Veteran
I also use common non-detatchable straps, I adjust them to be long enough to wear cross body and to reach my eye with the strap still around me. With a large heavy lens I will wear the strap backwards at that the mirror box is against my hip and the lens tucks in behind my leg, although I will get occasional photos of the ground as my hip sometimes trips the shutter.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

View attachment 882692

View attachment 882693

I have to see if I can't rig a "lens loop" on my PD strap.
I never liked to carry a camera with a long/heavy lens (that weighed more than the camera) relying only on the body strap.

Real Name
Walter
I have to see if I can't rig a "lens loop" on my PD strap.
I never liked to carry a camera with a long/heavy lens (that weighed more than the camera) relying only on the body strap.

You can use one of their Lens Loops with a Uni-Loop connector to attach to one side of your PD strap. I suppose you could attach the other end of your PD strap to the right strap lug.
https://www.optechusa.com/lens-loops.html
https://www.optechusa.com/uni-loop.html

I think I'd prefer to have it set up like the sling in my post so there would be no tension across the camera body and strap lugs. You could attach two PD anchors to the Uni-loop, but I think adding a safety strap to the body's tripod socket would make me feel better.

Real Name
Karen
I bird every day with my binoculars around my neck and the Gx85 with a Gordy's thumb strap (or wrist strap) and p100-300II on a capture clip at my waist. I find I have my camera in my hands most of the time ready to shoot. When I want a break or I am on the move I put it in the clip. When I want to check something with my binoculars I let the camera hang from my writ and use both hands on the binoculars. I tried two straps around my neck but found it too difficult. I have also learned to use my binoculars one handed for a quick check before I aim my camera.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
I’ll second the optech stuff. Been using it for years. On my smaller m43 stuff (em1 + 35-100 for example) I use the smaller clip system for mirrorless/compact cameras. On larger things like the G9 and 100-400 I use the standard size clips/sling. I also use their neoprene camera cases and lens pouches.

I like how discreet it all is as well. Peak design is nice but those red attachment points call too much attention IMO.

I use a PD strap cross body for the camera. On the binocular front, depends on how big they are. Small ones, like 10x20, are OK on a neck strap, or just in a large pocket. Bigger ones like 8x42 for birding are going to be too heavy on a neck strap for a long time(and too much bouncing). A second cross body strap might be more useful.

Real Name
Walter
I like it.
I've used two PD straps at once, in the cross-body position, and the bottom strap is always restricted by the top strap.

Yes, that's why the sling solution with the sliding clips works better. The clips slide, not the strap. That's why I could wear a backpack or sling bag over the camera sling.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
Another recommendation for OpTech.
All of my gear has it. It's so versatile and durable, and a great value. Great customer support, too.

I also use lens loops to support my Olympus 100-400. The loops stay on the lens, and it's so easy to disconnect the straps from the camera body and reattach to the lens loops when I put that lens on the body.

I also bird and carry binocs and my camera. I actually prefer having separate straps for each. I carry my binocs in hand but not the camera.

I don't recommend attaching a strap to a tripod socket. It's called a tripod socket for a reason.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I also use lens loops to support my Olympus 100-400. The loops stay on the lens, and it's so easy to disconnect the straps from the camera body and reattach to the lens loops when I put that lens on the body.
I agree that OpTech stuff is great. I use those Uni-loop connectors all over the place (secure a small tripod to my camera bag, etc). I do have a question about the lens loops, however. I like the look of the way they work, and you say that "the loop stays on the lens," but to me it looks as though as soon as you take the lens off the camera body, the loop would fall off the rear of the lens. I mean, I see nothing holding the loop onto the lens, and since the camera is gone, wouldn't the loop just fall off the rear of the lens? I see that it has a rubberized loop, but it doesn't appear to be enough to secure it to the lens (there's no cinch, for example), although maybe it does? Anyway, I'll probably get a few just to try them out (another good thing about OpTech - relatively cheap and come in handy for stuff you'd never think of!).

Real Name
Walter
I agree that OpTech stuff is great. I use those Uni-loop connectors all over the place (secure a small tripod to my camera bag, etc). I do have a question about the lens loops, however. I like the look of the way they work, and you say that "the loop stays on the lens," but to me it looks as though as soon as you take the lens off the camera body, the loop would fall off the rear of the lens. I mean, I see nothing holding the loop onto the lens, and since the camera is gone, wouldn't the loop just fall off the rear of the lens? I see that it has a rubberized loop, but it doesn't appear to be enough to secure it to the lens (there's no cinch, for example), although maybe it does? Anyway, I'll probably get a few just to try them out (another good thing about OpTech - relatively cheap and come in handy for stuff you'd never think of!).

Hi Rich, I can try to answer your questions. Correct, there is nothing that "holds" the loop on the lens. It just fits loose between the lens and the body, but the body keeps it from falling off. If you have the lens in your bag, you have to remember to put the loop on when attaching the lens. I suppose if you got ambitious you could stick a self-adhesive Velcro patch on the lens barrel near the mount and put another on the Loop to keep it in place when not in use. I don't bother, but I do sometimes forget to pack the loop when packing up the lens for a shoot. Hmm... maybe I'll look for some Velcro patches to try.

Note that each Lens Loop set comes with two loops, each with a different gender of Uni-Loop connector. So, if you want two Loops with the same gender, you either have to buy two sets, or get a gender changer (which they have). I standardized with the male connectors on the gear and female connectors on the straps or sling. But, as you noted, their stuff is cheap, so no worries about getting more.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom