Strap broke and gf1 and 20mm went for a swim

abucci

Mu-43 Rookie
While on a photoshoot on the Colorado river today, the strap holding the gfi decided to break and let my gf1 take a dip.

I retrieved the body and lens, separated them and left them in a safe place on the boat to air dry.

I'm resigned to the gf1 now being a paperweight, but the 20mm, while being immersed for about five minutes and with water drops on the inside lens elements, actually powered up when I mounted it on a gx1.

Has anyone had any success repairing a wet 20mm, or know where it could be done?

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
First off, major bummer! :-(

I don't have any experience reviving a camera or lens after a full dunk, but I HAVE gotten water splashed on my E-PL1 to the point where it refused to turn on. I put it in a Ziploc bag with some uncooked rice for 12 hours or so, and ever since its worked just fine. The rice acts as a desiccant and absorbs the moisture. I've been surprised in the past by what some electronics can survive if the moisture is dealt with effectively.

What part of the strap failed? What sort off strap were you using?

rnagoda

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Robert
Follow the advice about the rice - or definitely just let the things dry out in some fashion - with one added bit of advice: DO NOT turn them on again, or try to, until you're sure they are completely dry.

I've had good luck with this method as well ... including with phones, laptops and a tablet, but never with a camera - I can't imagine it wouldn't work just the same, but of course you never know...

Latest threads

Top Bottom