Strange squares that look like PD-AF in the image?

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
I was catching up on images for the last 2 years when I come across this just a few minutes ago:
1634933000165.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

They are in the unedited RAW file (split image on the left side) and I did not notice it the first time, after pushing the file a bit it seems to have enhanced their presents to quite a noticable state. I'm wondering if it's the Phase Detect sensors on the sensor reflecting withing the lens elements and back into the image. The sun was a few degrees to the right side of the frame which may be the reason why the reflections can show up. I don't know if it's the only reason for this or the lens itself could be part of the "problem" because I don't know to what extent does Panasonic test their lenses with Olympus bodies when designing their lenses ... reminds me of the issues Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm f 4 ASPH had only Olympus bodies (among some other lenses).
I have not noticed anything like this on Panasonic Lumix G 20mm f 1.7 ASPH Mark II, Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm f 1.7 ASPH P.OIS, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 50-200mm f 2.8-4 ASPH P.OIS, Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm f 4-5.6 ASPH M.OIS (these are the only lenses I have used with Olympus bodies).

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
A closer zoom into that area:
1634933622370.png

They look to symetrical to be an optical effect.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You don't say which camera. It is an image of the sensor as you say. Don't worry about it, it is very rare that you will see this issue. I think it can happen with all digital cameras under exactly the wrong conditions.

In extreme cases of lighting and boosting contrast all kinds of amazing things turn up on all the cameras.
Here is a plain ceiling taken with an E-M1 and 12-40 lens, correctly exposed, nothing special:
EM1ceiling.jpg

And this is the SAME photo after boosting the contrast to extremes:
EM1weird.jpg

Another one from an E-M1:
EM1weirder.jpg

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
You don't say which camera. It is an image of the sensor as you say. Don't worry about it, it is very rare that you will see this issue. I think it can happen with all digital cameras under exactly the wrong conditions.

In extreme cases of lighting and boosting contrast all kinds of amazing things turn up on all the cameras.
Here is a plain ceiling taken with an E-M1 and 12-40 lens, correctly exposed, nothing special:
View attachment 913844

And this is the SAME photo after boosting the contrast to extremes:
View attachment 913845

Another one from an E-M1:
View attachment 913846
Sorry I forgot to mention, it's the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III. On your last image I have seen that pattern more often that I am comfortable with, I've seen it with Panasonic GX-7, Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 Mark I and Mark III.
It's quite distracting and I never found a way to get rid of it in image nor what condition can replicate it.
I guess it was a stumble on the most unlikeliest of angles for the perspective and point light source to get the reflection of the sensor structure AND to have it record itself (so kind of like sensor selfie? Or sensor self bombing selfie?).

I wasn't trying to be dramatic :p

This is not the first time I have seen this and people saying it is from the PDAF on the EM1. It is not from the PDAF sensor. On my way to work but when I get home will try to find this thread about it. Can't remember if I read here or DPR.

But it is not from the PDAF array as it will happen with any camera regardless of type of focusing or whether it is a mirrorless or DSLR. I don't remember what the final conclusion was about it.

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I had something similar a few weeks ago with my EM1.2 and 40-150 Pro. I also had an instance a few years ago but I can't remember if that was with a Panasonic Lumix G or Canon DSLR.

fadeslayer

Mu-43 Regular
No worries, I had many with Sony A9, especially when exposure conditions were extreme, or when I pushed too far with shadow recovery.

I fear it's something related to mirrorless, I never noticed it in my DSLR days, though it was many many years ago, I wasn't particularly skilled in PP back then (not that I am that now 😂).

Don't go as far with PP if you see that. I haven't found a solution (except pulling back edits or painting them out if available tools), I don't exclude there are some, though.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Fairly sure it's a reflection of the sensor/Bayer filter from the back of the lens. It only occurs under very occasional situations where you get light bouncing back and forth at specific angles. I've noticed it a few times on various Oly bodies. My Em5iii has done it every now and then.

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Here's a cropped section from mine from a few weeks ago. Different pattern, but still a clearly defined grid in the background foliage.

EM120204.jpg

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The only way to be sure of avoiding these - fortunately rare - problems is to go back to film.

Last edited:

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For me this has (noticeably) happened twice in over 2 decades of digital. I'm not too concerned.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom