Strange random problem with GH2 images

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by meyerweb, Jun 17, 2012.

1. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'm going through and reviewing, deleting (some) and post-processing the roughly 3000 images I shot on a recent European vacation.

A small number of them have what look like a defective row of pixels running horizontally across the image. There doesn't seem to be any consistency between those images in which it occurs. In some cases I did bracketed shots, and it'll show up in only 1 of the bracketed shots. Sometimes it's in the over exposed shot, but sometimes in the under or normally exposed shot. And it's not always in the same part of the frame.

I've never noticed this prior to this vacation.

Here are a couple of examples of bracketed shots where the problem occurred on only one of the 3 captures. (None of these have had any post processing done other than converting to jpeg.) The line is about 1/3 of the frame from the bottom:

10933_12-05-19_Venice%2520from%2520Water%2520Taxi-2.

Here's another image. This time it's about 1/3 from the top:

10940_12-05-19_Venice%2520from%2520Water%2520Taxi-2.

And here's one with 2 lines:

10965_12-05-19_Venice%2520from%2520Water%2520Taxi-1.

Anyone seen something like this before? Any ideas?

2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Ooohhh errr, it looks like a job for Panasonic.

3. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Possibly a memory card issue? If this is all on the same memory card, I'd try a different one before sending the camera in.

4. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    I used a number of memory cards, and I'm not sure I can isolate which images were on which memory cards, but I'll look at those on the last set and see if I notice any pattern.

But someone on another forum suggested a software issue, and I think they may be right. Using another image with 2 lines, I've discovered that the lines appear when I open the raw in LR 4.1 and LR 3.6, but not when I open it in Silkypix or Windows Photo Viewer, nor when I look at the corresponding jpeg (these were shot as raw+jpeg). Time to contact Adobe, I think.

5. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    "...shot on a recent European vacation."
    Did you use a 220 to 115-volt adapter to charge your batteries?

6. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    No to the adapter question. The OEM Panasonic chargers support 100 to 220 volt inputs.

7. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Well, stranger and stranger. I reimported the original image (well, the original copy) into LR, and the lines are gone. So it appears it was a copy glitch, but it's still odd that it only shows up in LR. Looks like I'm going to have to reimport all the files, which isn't too bad, but I'm sure not looking forward to reapplying all the keywords.

Sigh.