Strange Question Olympus 14-42 vs Nikon 16-85

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Tarazed, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Tarazed

Tarazed New to Mu-43

May 10, 2012
    I posted this on another forum but haven't gotten any feedback. So I'll give a try here. I'm considering a PEN and for reference was wondering how the Olympus 14-42 compares to the Nikon 16-85? Any thoughts?

2. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Because this could be open-ended. Putting both on the same m4/3 body? You CAN do that you know.

I am continually amazed by that Oly kit zoom, and I shoot Nikon. If you put the 16-85 on a D7000, and the Oly on an E-P3, and shot jpegs. I'd bet most people would choose the the Oly shots as "better" in a non-scientific way. Of course, pixel peepers will swear there is a fringe here or a soft area there (on both), but your likely audience will like the Oly photos better. So... what makes one lens better over the other to YOU? I make people happy with my photos, some for pay, some for smiles... and I seem to be going for the Olys more and more.
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Well the 16-85 reaches to 24mm equivalent, and is much larger. Other than that, I doubt there's much to divide them. The 14-42 might distort less thanks to digital corrections, though I think Nikon's been incorporating that nowadays?
  4. Tarazed

Tarazed New to Mu-43

May 10, 2012
    Thanks, I have a D7000 and had a 16-85. Right now my shortest Nikon is a 35 1.8. I'm considering a EPM1 with the 14-42 instead of a normal zoom for the D7000. Doing so will give me new and different options.
  5. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    I have a D7000 with the 16-85. I can say that the 14-45 Panasonic / GX1 compares very well with the Nikon lens camera combo, with one significant difference. The D7000 seems to have much higher dynamic range (backed up by dpreview). The Panasonic blows out the clouds way too easy compared to the D7000. I guess the E-M5 has improved in this regard, but you didn't mention that body. I would think you'd see a similar issue (limited dynamic range being more of an issue than lens/camera quality) with the m43 combo you mentioned.