1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Strange or Normal Function

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cfugle, Sep 21, 2013.

1. cfugle

cfugle Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2013
    Quebec
    Christopher
    Being new to m43 hardware I grabbed my Olympus E-PM2 this morning to try and learn more using different settings. I setup Raw + JPEG as my default and noticed that when zooming in to crop a shot, the finished RAW is not zoomed.
    This was a screen snapshot from my Mac Finder with icon view to it's max. My OS level support Oly raw natively for my camera model.
    Any idea why the same shot would produce different zoom/crop levels?
    Thanks in advance...

Attached Files:

2. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    You have digital zoom enabled. Page 64 of the manual for details.

• Like Like x 2
  3. luiztakei

luiztakei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2012
    Luiz
    I dont know if the E-PM series has "digital" zoom but if it does, you probably used it (and not "optical" zoom).

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Basically, digital zoom crops the image in-camera to give the appearance of zooming. The downside is the same as cropping - the more you crop the more visible flaws become. Not really a problem unless you plan to print the photo.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would suggest turning off digital zoom. You bought a system camera with interrchangable lenses for a reason. ;)

PS, use the zoom and focus rings on your lens.

6. fiki2304

fiki2304 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Camera always shoots full senzor size when im raw. When you change aspekt ratio in raw you only see it in camera that way. You have to crop it in post... Jpeg is croped in camera. Hope I helped.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. cfugle

cfugle Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2013
    Quebec
    Christopher
    Thanks

I am not used to having a digital zone/crop done after the shot is taken. My dslr allows for in LCD digital zooming, but you can see it live opposed to guessing afterwards. But as kindly stated, just crop post for the control you need. I'll turn this "feature" off as it really does nothing for me.

Many than all. Great forum for learning and sharing experiences.

8. fiki2304

fiki2304 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I am not sure if you can turn it off. What ever you do, change aspect or turn on 2x digital zoom, you are going to get full sensor picture when in raw.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Mu-43 mobile app