Strange operation on an E-PL5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by slothead, Feb 6, 2013.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I think it happens every time (but I'm not sure) which leads me to believe I am doing something wrong... What it does is shut itself off after the first shutter release. And there is no saved image either, nor does it display the image for review. After that first shot everything works perfectly fine. Am I doing something wrong?

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That is strange. My E-PL5 doesn't do that and I'm not sure what combination of settings would cause that to happen. The only setting I can think of that would turn the camera "off" is the sleep setting but the shortest time is one minute.

3. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    Mine doesn't do that either. How long have you had your E-PL5? Can you exchange it for a new one?

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You may have a defective one. Odd self shut-offs with small-bodied Pens seem to be a rare but real problem, and sometimes it happens on a unit which had been in use and working fine for a long time prior (as I experienced on a Pen Mini). I would exchange it if possible or talk to your Olympus Regional Repair Center for advice or a warranty repair.

5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Not long at all, and I am seriously considering it.

6. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    The obvious and stupid suggestion is: Are you hitting the shutter button or the 'off' button?

I ask only because when using the camera blind (erm, not looking at it) I found myself accidentally turning it off for the first few days. My previous camera had the shutter release button where the E-PL5 has its on/off button.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I can't remember which model... I think it was the E-PL1, where I would ALWAYS hit the power button instead of the shutter button because of its ridiculous placement. lol.

8. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I'm 99% sure that isn't my problem, but I will reexamine to make sure. And by the way, I have already requested and received an RMA and label from B&H for exchange. If I see that I have been doing the amazingly ridiculous, I'll call them back and cancel (but I seriously doubt that I'll be doing that).

Thanks for the consideration anyway,

9. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Early this morning (after the camera had time to sit overnight), I tested it again, and sure enough it does exactly what I said. I took special care not to touch the power button when I actuated the shutter release. And of course as previously described, the camera shut off instead of capturing an image.

So I finished packing the camera up and took it to the UPS depot for shipment back to B&H. When I got back home I emailed B&H and asked them how long it would take to process the return and get me anew camera. Their answer: about two weeks. That sort of ticks me off. It's not a big deal, but just the idea of me having to go 2 weeks without a backup Mu43 camera... I'll get over it. :)

10. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    Frustrating, but hopefully the replacement will work great for you.

Today I did the opposite: Went to switch off the camera and took a photo instead.

Anybody know where I can buy some competence?

11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've done the complementary mistake, i.e., went to take a picture and turned off the camera. Followed by many potent words of magic, of course.