Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Hi all
I have a 12-100 which I bought New a while back
It appeared to be brand new and unused and is still unused
The other day I noticed some strange marks around the edge of the front element
I don’t think this is fungus although others may disagree.
The marks run all the way around the underside of the front element and don’t spread inwards towards the centre of the element but are restricted to the periphery
I was thinking of sending it in to Olympus as I got the original receipt with the lens and there is a chance of a Warranty repair if it’s a manufacturing issue
The marks are actually quite feint and very fine and not obvious unless you inspect very closely
I am shining a torch on them for these pictures which exaggerate their appearance considerably - they are much finer than they look here and quite uniformly positioned around the circumference of the lens
71117950-3B07-46BC-B5EB-4FD1D3224BD8.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
79992B61-8554-4134-BB63-841D0DA98968.jpeg
6FB6D1E1-2008-424C-8700-920D2A43B131.jpeg

Last edited:

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It does resemble a fungus. I think your thinking about sending it to Olympus to see what they think is a good thought, I think.

In the meantime you may want to have it quarantine itself, use a quality lens cleaner and above all else, wear a lens cap.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Thanks for the comments and opinions
Im pretty sure that this is not fungus - it is too uniform in location all the way around the periphery of the lens element
I agree with @retiredfromlife and @stevedo as I had thought it was a construction issue
I have raised a Warranty claim and will be posting the lens off during the week
I will update here when I have some response from ‘ Olympus’ OMDigitalsolutions 👍

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Ref the Warranty Claim and Repair
Lens was posted 13/03/21
As there seemed to be no way of tracking the progress of the repair on MyOlympus I sent a request for info
was advised that the lens had arrived at their ‘hub’ and was awaiting transit to the repair centre in Portugal

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
According to the ‘tracking’ on MyOlympus my lens has still not yet reached the repair facility (11 days on from Despatch)
Anyone from the U.K. considering sending a lens for Warranty or repair should consider whether they need it back promptly / urgently as this will clearly not be the case according to my experience here
Im not actually bothered how long it takes (within reason) but others may be ?

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Chased up the progress on my Warranty / Repair case today on the 12-100 f4.0 and received the following update
015BDB3F-FDE2-40F2-928C-870CF33953B9.jpeg

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
They may have sat on it until they had enough pieces of equipment to fill a box.

International economy overland shipping contract rates from mainstream courier companies (Parcelforce/GLS/UPS/DPD) are usually fixed at a per parcel rate. It would cost them the same amount to ship 15 lenses as it would one.

Failing that, if they shipped it by Tracked Airmail, times can vary wildly between 3 and 14 days at the moment.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just wanted to add: keep us up to date with the progress of this repair. I am following the thread with interest on how they handle the lens.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
My lens still hasn’t arrived at the repair centre
Apparently still at a courier’s warehouse
Just as well I wasn’t going to need it back quickly
Now 18 days since I posted it
Not an issue for me personally but OMD Solutions aren’t going to do themselves any favours if this is typical for Warranty / Repairs
Whatever issues there are around Brexit I would have thought the service would be a little better ?

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
There are no justifiable excuses for that. I'd be interested to know which courier company they use so I can avoid them.
Tracking on the OMDS site is for the initial Royal Mail delivery to the first stop which is some sort of hub / reception centre. They delivered on 16/03/21 so 3 days after postage
I don’t know which courier is responsible for the onward journey to Portugal ?

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Just had notification that the 12-100 has now reached the repair centre and that it is to be given priority for repair

18BC6AE5-57DA-46A3-B573-87A964D8C57D.jpeg

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
UPDATE : Warranty Repair Completed : Lens Returned and Received (with 1 minor niggle)

So yesterday I logged on to ‘MyOlympus‘ to check on progress on my Warranty Repair on the 12-100 only to find that the repair had disappeared from my details
I sent a message to ask for an update which I only got this afternoon
In the meantime this morning I received notification of a delivery to my house by DHL which stated it had emanated from Portugal (obviously my lens)
The package was delivered whilst I was at work and I’ve now opened it
I’m pleased to say that the repair centre have replaced my front lens element under warranty.
I’m very pleased with the repair 👍 (I’ve not tested the lens yet)

However one ’minor’ but slightly annoying thing to add was that one of the internal packing pieces were missing from the box with the lens being wrapped in some reused bubble wrap.
I am meticulous with keeping all packaging etc for my items in case they are sold in due course
This was/is a brand new unused lens with brand new full packaging.
I had removed the lens hood, and cardboard section containing the storage bag and instructions etc from the box when it was posted off but I had inserted the lens within the two polystyrene packing pieces (one each end) and had added supplementary packing to take up the slack in the box from the cardboard containing the storage bag
Only one of the polystyrene packing pieces were in the box when it came back
I am a little disappointed with this and will contact the repair centre tomorrow to see if they have the missing piece or can arrange to send me a replacement
Contact and updates could have been slightly better - ie notification of completion and dispatch back to me would have been nice and quicker turnaround would be better but that didn’t actually bother me. In any case the actual repair was turned around very promptly - the repair centre having received the lens on Monday - it was back with me today (Thursday) so it was only the courier services apparently complicated by ‘Brexit’ issues causing the overall slow turnaround. I’m pretty sure that these issues will be sorted and overal turnaround time for U.K. repairs reduced in due course
When I requested updates by email they were returned the next day on each occasion
So overall a very good repair experience and thankful to OMD Solutions / Olympus for carrying it out 👏👏👏

Last edited:
Real Name
Brian
Like you Rob, I'm a bit obsessive in keeping all bits of original packing etc. and I understand why you are a bit miffed as I would be.
When you buy something new and worth a fair bit of money, you should expect it to be treated with respect, especially from a manufacturer's official repairer.
I'm always amazed that people chuck even the original boxes away when they buy something new. :shakehead:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom