1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Strange manual focus bug with 45mm 1.8... Anyone else with this problem?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Sumo, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Sumo

Sumo Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 4, 2013
    Here's the problem:

I was recently able to get ahold of the 45mm 1.8 for my E-PM1. After focusing to the minimum focusing distance (via either AF or MF), it becomes unable to manually focus to infinity. Basically, the lens gets stuck with an approximately 1-5ft. focal range. I can replicate the issue anytime I want, but it does go away after powering off the camera (with lens reset enabled) or autofocusing to infinity.

Other tidbits of info:
    - It happens in all P/A/S/M modes, though I haven't tried it in auto, Art, or video.
    - This issue is not replicable on the 14-42 kit zoom.

Any thoughts on what this might be? I'm not too well-versed on m43, so I'm willing to admit I might just be ignorant of some feature or another (some setting I've missed, like an auto-detect macro mode or something like that). Pretty sure this isn't normal behavior though.

In any case, thanks in advance, and if there's a better place for this kind of thread, let me know.

Cheers.

2. keko

keko Mu-43 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    Spain
    Did a quick test on my E-M5 / 45mm 1.8 and found no issues.

Are you running the latest firmware for the camera?

3. Sumo

Sumo Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 4, 2013
    Yep, I actually updated my E-PM1 from 1.2 to 1.3 when I noticed the lens problem yesterday, with no effect. There don't seem to be any updates for the lens yet, but I wonder if I could reinstall the original lens firmware... Sounds like I should be considering a return or repair though. Thanks for the reply.

4. keko

keko Mu-43 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    Spain
    I don't think you can downgrade the firmware to the previous version easily, at least not via the provided Oly software.

Sounds like you should get in touch with Olympus on this one. Sorry to hear you got a dud, it's my favorite lens for m43. Don't give up on it!