Strange Issue

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chinorider, Jul 5, 2013.

1. chinorider

chinorider Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 12, 2013
    I have a relatively new OM-D E-M5 and yesterday I was at a parade taking photo's. After about 100 shots, the camera quit working to a point. I had the image on the OLED and in the EVF but no other function of the camera would work. MENU - no, ON/OFF-no, INFO-no. Nothing worked. I was able to get things back to 'normal' by removing the battery for a few seconds. Has anyone else experienced the problem ? What could be the cause ?

BTW Firmware Version = 1.7

Thanks

2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    This has happened to me on earlier firmware. But only that the camera would not come out of sleep/standby mode without a "battery pull".

3. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yes I had experienced it all in one day... I was not sure why it happened but it did a couple of times with the kit lens.

The one thing I notice is that it seems like the IBIS is stuck or something as I can hear it running but can't turn off the camera even if I turn the switch off. I had to remove the battery.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    What lens? IIRC there have been occasional problems with camera lockups using Panasonic's 20/1.7 and 25/1.4.

Also make sure you're not accidentally activating the touch-screen - that can sometimes get the camera stuck in an odd state.

5. chinorider

chinorider Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 12, 2013
    I was using the Pan 25/1.4 I am glad I am not alone and maybe Olympus will have an answer.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd double-check with your other lens(es) to verify that there's nothing wrong with the camera.

7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Digital cameras are computers, and computers crash!

And it's not just Olympus only, it happens to EVERY brand of camera.

But it's good to know what lens AND what memory card you were shooting with at the time of the crash to see if one of those tems cause the issue. For instance some people have bought name brand memory cards on eBay only to end up with a counterfeit that didn't pass the original manufacturer's tests for reliability.

8. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Grrr...the same thing keeps happening to me!!! Did the new firmware fix things for you? What version firmware are you running?

Yes, it happens to every camera, but the OM-D seems to be far more susceptible to this than other cameras...I love my Olympus, but it's pissing me off. It's crashed at least 3-4 times now, where I've had to pull the battery to reset things and I've only owned it for a month. I shot Canon DSLRs for 7 years, both for fun and professionally from the lowly Rebel to the mighty 1D and 5D series and not ONCE did I have a body crash on me. Ever.

9. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yes exactly... the only time my D700 hanged up was due to a loose battery grip, other than that I never encountered a crash of any sort at all.

In fairness I have only encountered this problem with the kit lens so far

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Maybe it's the memory you're using...in over a year it hasn't happened to either of my E-M5s, and that includes a shoot with 1600 shots over a few hours!

11. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    My Canons and Panasonics have never missed a beat.

12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've had two crashes on my e-m5. Once was just a simple hang - battery out and restart. No big deal (so long as it happens only infrequently). However the second time, the camera went into a mode where it was making the most awful noise. Much louder than the normal IBIS noise. It sounded like either the shutter was in some manic open/close mode or the IBIS had gone into fierce oscillation. Thankfully, once I pulled the battery and restarted it resumed normal operation, but I must say, it's spooked me a bit as to the longevity of the camera.

13. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    It's happening with my 9-18. :(

I doubt it's the memory...the cards I'm using have been used in several cameras, never any issue anywhere...