1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Strange G5 color cast behavior.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DeoreDX, Jun 26, 2013.

1. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    So I'm on a conference call and it's pretty boring so I bust out the G5 and 55 Micro Nikkor and start taking some pictures of various things on my desk. I took a picture of this white car sitting on my desk and after snapping the picture noticed some very strange behavior. It's like half the frame's white balance was thrown completely off.

P1060010.JPG

I tried different distances to the subject, different apertures, etc and even though the location of the band of off-white balance wasn't consistently placed in the frame it was always there. My desk is shaped like an L, and if I move the car to the other part of my desk the strange color band disappears.

P1060024.JPG

This behavior happens with the 55 Micro Nikkor and the 14-42OIS. Only thing I could think of is the two fluorescent lights above the desk with their respective light diffusers is somehow throwing off the G5 in some way I've never seen before. Doesn't happen with the old fuji F10, my iPhone, or my Note II's cameras. I don't have an SLR with me so I can't try one of my Nikons. Move the setup anywhere else in the office and it doesn't do it. But something about being underneath the two fluorescent lights is really throwing the G5 off.

2. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    I am no expert on lighting but I do notice flourescent lights flicker,(something to do with alternating current) maybe your shutter caught in between the cycles

3. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Do you have Electronic Shutter enabled?

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  5. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
  6. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida

Funny you should mention it, I noticed the same thing with my G5. Recently I had a tough time trying to get indoor shots on a cruise ship. I tried adjusting the WB but kept getting the same results. I couldn't get one decent shot of the inside of my cabin! Same with mixed available lights at the buffet near a window.