1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Strange flare coming up, need help/advice

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Ramsey, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    So we had a conference, a closing event of some sort, my boss asked me to take a few pictures a few days prior to the event. Not paid, i just happen to have a camera, and like taking photos so why not. I borrowed P45-175 from a friend and have my P20 with me on the E-PL5. The lovely (also borrowed) FL36R was on camera.

I noticed a strange flare coming up on a lot of pics. It happened on both lenses, regardless of FL on the zoom. Flash was on at all times in shown examples. AT first i thought it was the lamp, or the window light but I've also uploaded pics that had flare that featured none of those things. Also, i have examples that included lamp/window that show no flare.

Examples below...

P45-175, huge flare, minimal inclusion of the lamp

TW-48 by Iramljak, on Flickr

P20, lamps/window, flare present on the center left

TW-37 by Iramljak, on Flickr

P45-175, no lamps/window, flare present on the upper left part

TW-13 by Iramljak, on Flickr

P45-175, no lamps/window, flare present on the center upper part, less visible

TW-81 by Iramljak, on Flickr

P45-175, no (immediately visible) flare (if you can, ignore the red eye, i know i can't).

TW-10 by Iramljak, on Flickr

P20, almost the same as pic #2, no (immediately visible) flare

TW-66 by Iramljak, on Flickr

I took some photos on the same day with the P20, with kit flash, and i saw no flare of that kind. Took some photos today with P20, without flash, indoors, directly at a strong light, no flare.

Has anyone had these kind of things happen? Do you know why does it happen? Is it the lens, the premises or my bad technique?

Disclaimer: I'm still learning about photography, especially about flash. From this session, I had pics coming out great (for my capabilities), i had awful ones. These are OOC jpegs; exposure, cropping and color PP was made afterwards but i put up oly jpegs for you to see the extent of the effect. I'm aware of my aesthetic and (some of my) technical flaws, and considering all above, please, no bad words about my exposure and composition :redface:

Thanks

Ramsey

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's really weird... the first one is pretty big, it almost looks like an external reflection actually. Internal flare is usually tinted due to the lens coatings, these are white. Maybe the flash was reflecting off something?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I'm prone to thinking it was the flash bouncing off one of the glass lamps. I'll try to find if there are examples of the flare without flash...

sent from my Xperia Z

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I think they are all just reflections from some of the gear at the desk, maybe even the upside down wine glass/glasses..

• Like Like x 1
  5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    It's a ghost... that room is haunted.
    (there is no other plausible explanation)

6. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Never thought of that. How would one in a similar situation aim the flash in order to avoid that specific flare, removing each flare individually in PP would be (and has been) a nuisance. All of the pics were either straight flash or bounced at around 45 degrees.

I like this theory, as it would bring me a lot of money, i can see ghosts photography as a lucrative deal. Probably not so likely though, but one can hope :)

7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I agree with OzRay, reflections. From something shiny and flattish. Maybe those gold colored metal vents on the ceiling.

Fred

• Like Like x 1