1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Strange eBay glitch ...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jeffryscott, Feb 22, 2015.

1. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    I literally watched an auction end, then a minute later there were seven hours left! I'm peeved.

So this morning I got an alert an item I was watching was ending in 15 minutes. By the time I saw it there were seven minutes left and there were no bidders. I waited and watched the timer count down to under one minute, I put my bid in at that point. I was the only, and the high bidder, as the timer ticked down to zero. Instead of getting congratulations, you won. It transitioned to you missed out on this item. It showed I was the only bidder still. Then, it added seven hours to the auction, but still had my bid in.

I contacted the seller and he had no idea what I was talking about. So I'm sure the seller thinks I'm trying to scam him, or am crazy. I then contacted eBay to let them know, and to try to find out what happened. Ebay, of course, was less than helpful and tried telling me I was looking at an item I bid on last week, then tried telling me the auction had six hours left. Yes, I said, that is the problem, I watched the auction end, then it added time.

This was the strangest thing I've seen on eBay, has anybody else ever experienced such a glitch? It is quite disappointing, especially if I miss out on the lens.

2. jssaraiva

jssaraiva Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2013
    Porto, Portugal
    José Saraiva
    Hi,

I cannot say I've had a similar experience. However, been having a hard time using ebay over the last, say, 6 months. Usually I use ebay.de, but starter getting a lot of small errors (pages not well formatted, not able to push buttons, no access to "my ebay", etc, etc) to a point where I just started using ebay.co.uk where all that was fine (but seeing GBP prices is not the best for me). Now I'm also starting to get some problems on ebay.co.uk...

Are they cutting costs on site's maintenance? :rolleyes:

3. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    Not shure if this is what happend to you but i do think the seller has the option to set a minimum sale price for the item. If the item does not reach this minimum the auction might add some time or be relisted/removed

4. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    No reserve price and seller knew nothing about auction ending, it was a very strange thing.

5. londonfire

londonfire Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Western NC
    The strangest part of this story for me is that you actually contacted ebay. It's easier to get a branch of the federal government...

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Odd thought, but is your computer's time off?

7. jeffryscott

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    No, it was on my iPad. It was without a doubt at ebay's end. As I said, I literally watched the timer tick down to zero and it said I didn't win the auction, even though I was the lone bidder. Then it added seven hours to the auction time. As I said, I have never seen anything like it and it was extremely bizarre.

That said, it all worked out and cost me $41 more than my original bid. I have a 50-200 SWD coming my way. Hopefully with the new firmware 3.0 it will be that much better than the non-SWD version I just sold.