1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Strange blur/effect on pictures

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Krigskoen, May 1, 2016.

1. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    Yesterday I was taking some pictures with my 12-40 mm Pro and noticed some strange blurry effect as visible on the pictures below.
    On the first picture you can see it in the bottom left side. And the second picture is a crop from a left side of a picture.

They were both taken at f/2.8, ISO 200 and 1/500 and 1/640. It kinda looks like bokeh, but on the first picture, the bokeh on the right side looks a lot different. Is this caused by a decentered lens perhaps?

I took several other pictures and didn't notice anything similar again and this is also the first time I've seen this since owning the lens for about 10 months now.

P4305313.JPG P4305316.

2. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    That subject makes it hard to see what's happening. Do you have a brick wall nearby?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I can't imagine what would cause such a localized blurring effect. But if it isn't happening repeatedly, I don't think it's the lens.

4. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    Yeah, never noticed it before but haven't been shooting brick walls either. It was quite windy so perhaps it's just blurry because of movement of the leaves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I think what you are seeing may be just a transition in the OOF between branches that are different distances from the focal plane

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I second this : photograph a brick wall but take two photos so you've got the wall infront and behind the plane of focus.
    Problem solving!

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The mount on my 12-40 cracked after a fall and it wasn't obvious it was broken.

The symptom was similar.

See if the lens wiggles while applying a little pressure.

8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    +1

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Krigskoen

Krigskoen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2015
    I took some test shots with back and front focus, also at different apertures and didn't see anything weird. I think the lens is okay, since I use it 95% of the time and would have noticed it by now.

That sounds nasty. It fits on there pretty solid though, no wiggling :)

Yeah, that's probably the most likely explanation. It just looked quite strange :p

10. Nawty

Nawty Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    This was my first thought too - just not a particularly pretty transition.

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nothing in the corners is in focus. How can you tell that your blur is not sharp enough?