1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Store advice?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by manzoid, Apr 5, 2012.

1. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Hi All

Not sure if this is the best place to post, so please let me know if this belongs elsewhere...

I am planning a road trip from Niagara Falls, Ontario to Washington DC, and hoping to take advantage of better prices on lenses while I'm there.

Can anyone recommend a shop not horribly out of the way to buy the Samyang 7.5mm and/or the Olympus 45mm?

I realize one of the cheapest places to buy is BHphotovideo, but that seems like a long way to drive out of the way if it only saves me $50 or less....

Thanks for any advice.

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
  3. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Thanks for the advice, however from what I've seen online, they don't appear to have much m43, nor do they have either lens I am looking for.

Would they have more in store?

Anyone else have suggestions?

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I got my rokinon fisheye off eBay and price was $265 delivered to Canada. I haven't seen it in a store for less than $300.

5. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    How long are you going to be in Washington?

I have a US work visa and am in the US an awful lot, but I've found most hotels will accept packages on your behalf. You can order from B&H and have it shipped to the hotel if you can't find anything along the way that can really get you a better price.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Most things you'll save more buying through eBay than getting from a regular store in the US.

Penn/Calumet is the best option in the DC area. Regarding B&H, note that they'll be closed through April 16. Also take into account sales tax if you're comparing pricing and buying from a shop.

DH

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Which route will you be taking from Ontario to DC? Which cities will you pass through?

8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Besides those two stores? Well, if you don't want to buy a camera locally at those places, I suppose your other options are Best Buy, Wal-Mart, or Radio Shack.:rofl: I really suggest you get in touch with someone at those shops and see if they can accomodate you. If you're willing to go a little out of the way, try Ace Camera in Ashburn, VA, but I wouldn't suspect them to have any better equipment for you.

9. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Amin, here's a map from Niagara Falls to DC.
    Niagara Falls, NY to Washington, DC - Google Maps

The only way to go through any major cities is to go out of the way. Baltimore's the only close one, but it isn't going to have any better selection than DC.

• Like Like x 1
  10. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    I think the reason you're getting so few responses is that Mom & Pop camera shops in any U.S. city aren't known for their price or selection.

I live in the Virginia suburbs of DC, and I've never bought anything from any of the local camera shops. I haven't been in any of the few remaining Penn Camera shops since they were taken over by Calumet, but the old Penn Camera wasn't great shakes.

There are still a few Mom & Pop locations: Embassy Camera with a location on Conn. Ave. north of Dupont Circle and another in suburban Burke, Va. Dominion Camera in Falls Church, Va. I've wandered through them all but have never bought anything. They mostly sell Canikon gear plus darkroom supplies and some sort of trade in second-hand equipment. They'll all have a few m43 camera bodies and kits if you're willing to pay MSRP. I doubt any of them stocks the Olympus 45mm lens. I'd be shocked an amazed if any of them has the Samyang fisheye.

If you're visiting U.S.-based friends on the trip, you're much better off buying mail-order and having it shipped to them.

But if you want to try calling ahead to see if they sell the lenses you seek: Penn Camera in Chinatown (202-347-6292); Embassy in DC (202-483-0090); Embassy in Burke (703-425-5555); Dominion in Falls Church (703-532-6700)

• Like Like x 1
  11. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    You can buy stuff online and send it to a store and pick it up there. Walmart, Best Buy, Sears will let you do that. M43 selection is slim though.

Other option is to order from online and have it shipped to a FedEx or UPS store.

12. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Was that a lucky used buy?

Anyway thanks for all the advice.

As someone mentioned, the only real city that looks to be of substantial size and is not very out of the way is Baltimore.

Anyway it sounds like I may be better of buying off ebay and dealing with the tax and shipping.

Oh well, it was worth a shot...

13. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Overstock is selling the 7.5 silver for 265. I ordered one yesterday. They might ship to Canada. Still cheaper than B&H.

14. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    They do ship to Canada, but the cost is $350.55 Canadian due to their "International Service Fee". Taxes, shipping, and duties might still be extra. :doh: