Storage solution...

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by evilnim, Mar 24, 2014.

1. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Hi all,

Looking for some help here.

I'm in the difficult and uncertain position of juggling my camera gear, my horrifically severe GAS that is marginally to not-at-all under control, and my 5 month old boy (not literally).

I currently own a lowepro versapack. It's ok - not a tremendous bag, but also not terrible. Fits my Om-d, 9-18, PL 25, 60 macro, 75mm and O 75-300 for travelling alongside an ipad, other travel stuff and my fl-600r.

It has served me well. We are off on holiday in July, and anticipate a lot of walking around with a then 8 month old. My camera backpack will then be replaced with an infant backpack carrier.

I've invested in the capture pro attachment system so my Om-d can sit on the backpack strap and my kid can't strangle me with a neck strap (again).

I guess I'm looking for a small shoulder sling bag kind of thing that I can wear at the front to hold 2 of my lenses. It will be a challenge for me to pick 2 each time we go out, but I guess it will be good practice to limit my choice and refine my composures, plus I simply can't take them all now.

Everything I've seen looks too big. I like the idea of the kata lightri 312.

Anyone got this? What does it hold? Anyone got any other ideas or suggestions?

Your wealth of knowledge here would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Nim

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Give your camera backpack to the wife? Seems like a fair trade ;)

More seriously, I quite like the LowePro Inverse AW belt pack - sizable enough for quite a lot of gear, very comfortable in lumbar position, and works fine in front. One of the Mountainsmith belt packs may also work.

3. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Thanks - I've tried the 'wife solution'. Turns out my camera bag with gear is heavier than her...nothing...which is what she usually carries. Not sure I'd trust her with my gear anyway after seeing how she treats her iphone/laptop/any technology.

Thanks for the tips - I'm trying to avoid waist packs as the child carrier has a pretty hefty waist support.

The mountain smith stuff looks interesting though, particularly the zoom or focus range.

4. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Perhaps the best solution on vacation with a young one strapped to you much of the time is one of the 14-140s. Just a thought.

5. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Think Tank Skin 50

6. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Thanks all for suggestions. Thinktank skin may be a goer. Ill investigate more later on.

I confess I have thought about a broad zoom such as the 14-140, but I just love my primes wide open. I could only really justify buying the 14-140 by selling something else...and honestly, I use them all a justifiable amount. I guess the one I use least is the 75-300, but it's so useful in particular situations...

7. andix

andix Mu-43 Regular

Jun 16, 2012
    Guess why I bought an X10 and a Black Rapid SNAPR 35.

8. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Camera bags and babies are a difficult problem. I have a 20 month old, and this is still difficult for me. A shoulder bag (I prefer messenger style) does work with a baby carrier, although is probably better with a wrap than a backpack style carrier (and for what it's worth, a good wrap can be much more comportable than a backpack style carrier, but is a bit more work to put on, and you need help from someone with experience to learn, but that's a subject for a different forum). When my wife and I go out for the day, we will often wear our son, and take the stroller anyway, with the diaper bag and camera bag, plus jackets or whatever in the stroller. Putting some of the camera gear in the diaper bag is another possibility, and I have done that sometimes. It's not a way to take everything, but a camera and a couple lenses works. Just pick up some small lens cases and find a little room in the bag for them.

If you come up with anything really good, please do let us know. As I said, this is a difficult thing.

9. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    I've got three girls- two of them twin 15 month olds- and I push them both in the stroller on trips while my wife and 6 year old walk beside me so I can relate to the difficulties of a travel photography hobby while out with the fam. In the past I'd just carry one camera, with a couple of lenses- mostly zooms- in a bag. I specifically use the LowePro Flipside Sport 10L because of its security features and ability to swivel around my waist so I can easily do lens changes as need be. When we went to Paris last year or on our Disney trips, I'd travel with the 12-35 on my camera and the 35-100, 7-14, and the 25 1.4 in the bag. We just took a trip to Washington DC two weekends ago, and I did things a bit differently. Instead of lens changes, I brought three- yes 3- cameras with lenses on them, and two of them were primes. I had the 7-14 attached to the GM1, the 75 on the EM5, and the 25 1.4 on the EM1. The EM1 was on a sling strap, while the other two were in the LowePro bag. Worked really well. No lens changes, different perspectives, and fairly easily to get them out of the bag. Not as easy as the 14-140 DynaSport suggested, but then again the IQ would arguably be significantly better- if that's necessary mind you. I also realize this won't necessarily work for you while you have an infant carrier, but that carrier stage is a brief one and before you know it they're in the stroller.

10. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Thanks for all the responses - it's good to know I'm not the only one thinking I've got an issue here!

Multiple bodies with the lenses is ideal, but I can't afford it.
    Getting the 12-35 and 35-100 would be nice as a high quality travel kit, and needs only room for one lens, but I can't afford it.
    Ditching everything for the 14-140 requires a sale, and I'm not sure I'm yet willing to drop my bokeh-lust and image quality (though I appreciate it's probably negligible for non-pro stuff).

Using a stroller rather than a carrier would be the best option, agreed - I could then just use what I've already got. Unfortunately the trip we are taking doesn't lend itself well to strollers; a lot of walking on uneven surfaces, some climbing of rough hewn steps etc, so the carrier is essential for this trip. There will be some damn fine shots to take too no doubt.

I think my plan is evolving as follows;

Take my lowepro bag with everything as carry on luggage on the plane.
    Get a kata/mountainsmith/think tank small shoulder sling to use with 2-3 selected lenses whilst using the carrier OR get a couple neoprene lens cases and chuck them in the kids bag, and hope that there is no milk/water/nappy incident.

Then when the boy is a bit older, I can train him to carry my stuff for me, like a Sherpa.

Ignore that last bit.

11. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    If you're worried about liquids and/or other messy stuff, a gallon freezer Baggie will protect your lenses.

12. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I'd hold off for a few months. By the time your boy starts walking, you can forget time to change lenses, and he'll be that much heavier when he wants to be carried.

13. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Thanks for all the input. Thought I'd feed back and let you know what I decided. I went with the kata lightri 310 in the end, and I'm pretty glad I did - it's really light, a reasonable size for 2 lenses and the fl-600r, and slings in front or back - perfect for front wearing with easy access for lens changes. Combined with the capture pro system attached to the carrier shoulder strap, I've got a secure fitting for my em-5 with easy access, easy access to lenses, and my kid on my back for when we hit the dirt tracks this summer. A shameless picture of my torso follows to demonstrate my set up.

It's a stop gap I know. But looks like it'll be worth the £25 I dropped on the kata.

ImageUploadedByMu-431396483082.918567.

14. Teddys

Teddys New to Mu-43

Sep 14, 2013
    Try case inserts In large ( we have a Coach) diaper bag. Works great.