1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Stop me or push me !

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marcr1230, Mar 14, 2014.

1. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    My E-M1 is stuck in Olympus repair awaiting parts.

I'm scheduled to go on vacation next Wednesday and was planning on bringing the E-M1.

I certainly have other tools - notably a D800 and an X100s - although the E-M1 trumps them both as a travel camera (size/weight vs the D800, lens choice vs the X100s)

I could live without taking any photos on the trip - but It is a passion

so - do I go with my D800 or X100s , or buy a second E-M1 in the meantime, which if I do certainly means selling the X100s which has seen little use since I got the Oly

2 E-M1's would be nice for more extended trips/event where It's not convenient or timely to change lenses while shooting.

This is certainly a luxury of choice situation , I do have the means, but it is completely crazy ?

I also thought about getting the E-M10 as a stop-gap

thoughts ?

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Don't buy another body, use the x100s and see whether it appeals enough to you to keep it.

•••••••••••••Panasonic GX1 + Olympus 17mm f/2.8, Panasonic GF3, Konica FS-1 + Hexanon lenses, Konica C35v ••••••••••••••••

• Like Like x 1
  3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Get an E-M10. That'll make a nice companion camera to the E-M1 when it returns. Similar functionality in a smaller package.

4. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Consider an E-P5, it's more than adequate, plus a free VF-4, depending where you live.

5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Another vote for the E-M10, the only other camera with the TruPic VII processor. I also loathe clip on viewfinders.

6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    How about a used E-M5? If you decide it is not needed after the E-M1 returns, you won't lose much selling it off.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    STOP!
    Hammertime.

Take the X100S and a cheap travel zoom, maybe a Panasonic TZ or a Canon for less than $100

8. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    without doubt on important/expensive trips you want two bodies. You never know when one might die or disappear. Also two bodies at hand means two different lenses available for the scene at hand. Personally I want two of the same bodies programed the same. That way I know the only difference is the lens, not body capabilities or programming.

I just took all my Canon stuff to the camera store consignment table today. I also picked my EM-1 at the UPS store. I can definitely see having a second one before the next big trip.

9. stw

stw Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    Years ago, I went to lunch with a couple of friends. One of them said to both of us, "I want your advice about an expensive tech purchase I am thinking about."

Without hesitation, the other friend said, "buy two" and I said, "don't do it".

Buying two is much more fun. :)

10. Baimei

Baimei Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2011
    I have an E M1. I tried my brother's E M10, and I would get that as the second body.

11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Depends. Where is the trip going? If not super exotic and no wildlife I would be tempted to just take the x100s (I've travelled with just a fast 35 before). Wildlife, exotic location, remote, I'd buy the second E-M1 in a heartbeat if I wanted redundancy. Mostly because I'd want a telephoto backup body plan. The A7R takes care if wide angle.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I dare you to take only the x100s.

• Like Like x 1
  13. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    The trip is to Rome - wanted to do some HDR on a tripod with the E-M1 among other things.
    Might just take the X100s - probably will procrastinate myself into not buying a new camera

14. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Ive never used an x100, but after seeing how people described it in the comments in the linked thread, not only do I want one, but I recommend you take that one. Those who own it seem to think its quite a special camera.

http://theonlinephotographer.typepa...her/2014/03/your-favorite-digital-camera.html

Edit: In 1999 I left my Nikon kit at home and did a 3 month Asia trip with Just a Yaschica T4 Super. Great small camera with a fixed Zeiss 35mm Tessar. I had no regrets.

15. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    I would just take the Fuji too. Leave the bulky Nikon at home. I think it would be crazy to spend $1400 (or whatever it costs these days) on another E-M1.

I have no compunction about only taking one camera with me when I travel, but I am not a pro who is making money off my trips. My E-M1 did fine around Asia for a few weeks as my only camera. Same same with my E-M5 in Germany last summer. If something goes wrong I figure I can always buy a camera on the road if need be. Unless you're going to be in the jungle for an extended period of time.

16. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
  17. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    yep - decision has been made, it is going to be the X100s and , OMG, a film camera!

18. winsor

winsor Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2012
    little red dot - city of SIN
    arthur koh
    X100s is nice, it make you think for the shot. calm down and take good pictures

19. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I would look at a secondhand EM5 if you can manage to pick one up. It uses the same battery as the EM1 which is pretty important when travelling otherwise you have to have even more backup batteries and another charger to take with you. Make sure it has the current 2.0 firmware which give you the small focus point and low ISO. It's a little bit different to use but not by much. Image quality is the same.