1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Stop Lightroom from changing Panasonic filters upon import

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bozer, Apr 4, 2013.

1. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    I really like the B&W filter that the G2 has. But when I import photos taken using that filter into Lightroom, within a few seconds Lightroom converts the photos to color. Is there any way to stop this? I shoot in raw.

Thanks

ps. Great forum. New member.

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I believe when shooting RAW, the in-camera filter doesn't apply to the RAW file and only works in JPG mode. I think what you're seeing in LR is the JPG preview embedded in the RAW file (reflecting the in-camera JPG settings), which is then being replaced by LightRoom's own preview generated from the RAW after import.

Don't own a G2 so I can't confirm but I think that's how it works on most cameras shooting RAW.

3. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    Interesting. So I guess the answer is to shoot in RAW and JPEG in the case where I'd like to use the filters.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That's one option. There's also a way to force Lightroom to show both RAW and JPEG versions, but I don't recall what that setting is offs the top of my head and I'm not at my computer.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Kind of. You'll still need to shoot in raw + jpeg. LR can't read Panasonic's b&w settings. Raw ply jpeg is the only way. Plus you'll need to set LR to read the jpegs as separate files to the raws, which is what I think you mean.

Gordon

6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

LRDup.

Check or uncheck (to import both raw &jpeg) as desired ... come up with a workflow to convert to BW then save it as a preset.

7. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Actually, there is another setting you may need to change if it is not already set, or the JPG will only be imported as a sidecar file to the RAW file, and all edits will take place on the RAW file only. (If you enable the Overlay info with Ctrl+J, and choose Filename as one of the options, you will see it shows you [Filename.raw+JPG], where raw is the actual extension of your RAW files, e.g for Olympus it is .orf., I don't know what Panasonic is).

So, to get them imported SEPARATELY in LR, you need to go to :-

Edit | Preferences | General Tab
    Check the checkbox next to "Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photos".

The next time you import into Lightroom it will do both and show them separately, you can then choose to edit either. It won't go back and show all your previously imported images separately :frown:

8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I had not tried that ... I shoot RAW+jpeg and the checkbox in the upper right of the import dialog "Duplicates" when checked does not show the jpeg but only the RAW.

Not that this is what the OP wanted.

Seems a tough job to reverse engineer from a jpeg to RAW exactly what the adjustments were and then replicate those as a LR preset (which is what the OP wants - maybe).

9. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    On Olympus bodies the moment a filter is selected RAW + JPEG is chosen, if the user was previously in RAW only. If you follow the directions in this thread and import both RAW and JPEG as separate files, you should get both files in Lightroom's library.

10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I have a G2, and yes you have to shoot JPEG + Raw, then enable separate downloads in LR as shown above.

11. bozer

bozer Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013
    Thanks everybody. Good to know. For whatever reason, possibly placebo effect, I like Panasonics B&W filter better then anything I can come up with in LR

12. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    When you shoot raw you can apply a basic black and white present when importing the files. I won't actually change the raw information but will give a basic black and white development when you import. You raw files will show as black and white, but can be toggled back and forth between color and monochrome. It's quite useful when you know you don't even want to consider color, and saves you from having to check each file for bw conversion.