Stolen Panasonic GF1 and 14-42 - kind of - but how to upgrade!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dangermouse1968, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011
    Ok, so my girlfriend's Nikon compact broke so I made the silly mistake of lending her my GF-1 with the 14-42 it came with (I do own the 20 and Oly 45 so I am a lucky boy!).

Problem is, she likes it, I mean she really likes it. Last night she sent me a text that said "I love you and I love your camera too"!!!!!!

I guess I'm not going to get it back :-( BUT she is a very happy covert to u4/3 and I think she might love me a little more ;-)

But how do I go forward without it? I'd love a gx1 but they are still expensive so I was planning just to complete my lens set with the Panny 14 mm (I like my pancakes and I can't afford the Oly 12 even though I think I'd prefer that focal length and certainly can't afford the wide zoom!!).

Options seem to be:-

CHEAP: buy a secondhand GF1 for about £220. I can afford this!

EXPENSIVE: buy the GX1 body (I'd need to think about where I would get the rest of the cash ormighht have to wait and save)

OR buy the GX1 body with the new 14-42X but does the 14-42X work on the gf1 as I'd probably give it to my girlfriend as she woud prefer a smaller camera in her bag (she does n't like the limitations of primes!).

2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You know what i'm gonna say "get the GX1" but what is relevant in your situation is to decide whether waiting for finances is going to impede missing out on a picture when you don't have a camera with you. I bought the GX1 and Oly 45 for A $730 shipped. So if we take off 30 for shipping and that leaves $700 and we say the oly lens is $320 that makes the GX1 $380 which makes a GF1 for 220 GBP look pretty bad.

I wouldn't say you did a silly mistake in lending her your camera. If it puts a smile on her dial i'd say it's worth it. Make sure you get a picture of that smile though:smile:

The X lenses aren't that much chop but don't tell your girlfriend that.
  3. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    I had the same problem, my son took a likeing to my GF1, and was too much hassle trying to prise it back, so I went out and bought the GX1.

My local photo store was selling the body for more then the body with kit lens, so bought the kit and sold the lens on ebay.

On ebay GF1 body's go for about £160-£170

If I was not in the fortunate position to buy a GX1 ( I got a tax rebate from the inland revenue) I would have no qualms about going back to a GF1
  4. ozyboyross

ozyboyross New to Mu-43

Apr 3, 2012
    I just bought a brand new gf3 kit with 14mm lens for £249 from srs Microsystems which is also eligible for the £50 cashback offer that's on which makes it £199 + 7 postage after cashback!

Too good for me to leave!

Another option for ya!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Just tell her that your GF1 is like a pretty dove...

...and if she really loves it she should set it free...but if it comes back, then it was meant to be !!

(I think we all know it's her camera now) :wink:
  6. Dangermouse1968

Dangermouse1968 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2011

I thought about that too but I understand the GF3 is very different to GF1 and I'm not sure if she would like it or not. Maybe I should get her into a shop to handle one.

.... but then I loose my half excuse to get a gx1 :-(
  7. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    How about getting a second hand G2? Basically the same as a GF1 with a more compact SLR shape and integrated EVF. Pretty much the same sensor, interface, and even uses the same battery, but with a flip out and twist touch LCD. Should be pretty cheap.
  8. ozyboyross

ozyboyross New to Mu-43

Apr 3, 2012
    I have a g2 as well so I liked the fact the gf3 is small!

It's a cheaper option than a gf1!
  9. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    If she shoots exclusively in iAuto mode, my guess is she would be very pleased with a GF3 -- and she may even prefer its compact size and touch-screen interface. And, at least here in the U.S., you could get her a GF3 with the 14-42X lens for $200 less than the cost of a GX1 body only. You get your GF1 back; she get's a camera that's astoundingly compact yet still take gorgeous pictures.

If she's learning how to use the manual settings, she might have a hard time losing the GF1's far superior external controls.