1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Stolen camera and lenses - replacement suggestions

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by slappy, Jul 24, 2015.

1. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    hope you don't mind me double posting this from a UK forum...

Hi - I recently had my OMD-EM5 mk1 and second hand Pany 25MM f1/4 and Oly 12mm f2 stolen from a cafe in Vienna. These are the two lenses I swap around with most, mostly for taking pictures of my friends whilst out and about, and buildings / football grounds.

My insurance company has offered the OMD-EM5 mk2, plus the two lenses.

I also still have the Oly 12-50mm kit lens which I use for macro and rainy days, and the Oly 45MM (mostly unused since i got the Pany 25MM), also extension tubes.

Obviously the EM5 Mk2 is a no brainer, but wondering whether I should ask for perhaps the cash alternative of the two prime lenses and go for the 12-40 pro lens?

What should I do, what would you do?

I'd like to take more macro and fish-eye too.

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I shoot 90% primes, so I would get the same lenses, possibly replacing the 12 with PL 15 (only because I prefer 28-35 and its the best in that range. The 12 is excellent as well). Of course, you could probably get the 12, sell it to fund the 15 and have funds left over.

3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I'd recommend buying the 12-40; it's very sharp, contrasty and flare resistant, focuses very close (quasi-macro) and is a good replacement for your existing 12-50. You have the fast, short tele range covered with the 45mm, eliminating most of the 50mm benefits of your kit zoom.
    Even with my new 40-150 Pro in the bag, my 12-40 still gets 40-50% of the shooting workload.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

If they will sub or give you the money for the 12-40mm PRO, I think that is a no-brainer. Since I got that lens, my 12mm f/2 has stayed in the bag and the 25mm f/1.4 is relegated to low-light interiors. The PRO is that good.

5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Another 12-40 vs primes discussion. :hmmm: I have all of those lenes, well the O25 and not the P25, and I use my primes unless it is raining or I am at an event where I do not know what to expect.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Your insurance company's offer (upgrading you from a mk1 to mk2 and replacing both lenses with new) seems more than fair to me. I would expect they'll simply cut a check (based on current retail prices or perhaps MSRPs) and then you can decide what to purchase. I wouldn't think they'll replace the actual items for you, would they?

Regardless, trying to negotiate further concessions or arrangements with the insurer doesn't seem like the moral choice. Just except their offer (before they figure out that the mk1 is still available) and then re-work your kit as you see fit.

7. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Unless you insist on primes, you should consider the 12-40 Pro. As others have said, a superb lens. I have one and take the majority of photos with it when walking about.

8. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    Thanks all.
    The insurance company had sourced the replacements physically but also offered cash which was near enough to the current retail price.
    Anyway, I've decided to take the cash as on a UK forum someone is going back to DSLR and is selling a OMD-EM5 mark2 silver and the 12-40 pro. I think the 12-40 will be a good replacement for the two lenses 12 and 25.
    I found the 25mm takes great individual pictures, but when for instance there are a group around a table, i couldn't get us all in focus. (user error)

This also leaves me enough to buy something else, perhaps either the Oly fish eye or the Oly macro as these are two lenses I'd like to play with.

9. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I'd suggest you try the 12-40 close focus capabilities before buying the 60mm macro (though I lust after one as well). You may find it gives enough magnification and sharpness to let you spend your money on a different lens. The Olympus 8mm fisheye is an incredible lens but you should consider how much use it will get for the money spent. A lot of us on this forum use the Samyang/Bower/Rokinon 7.5mm manually operated fisheye for those less frequent ultrawide shots. The extra funds left over can go to putting some nice prints on your walls.

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Did you find the 12mm a bit pointless, like some have mentioned? You have 12mm in your zoom anyway.
    I think the 25mmF1.4 is still a classic and maybe it would be nice to get them to replace it : how did you like it?
    Any chance they would stump up for a 9-18mm?

11. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

The O60mm f/2.8 macro is a great lens, focusing far closer than any non-macro. It also doubles as a very nice medium-long portrait lens.

12. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    basically i have the option of cash or new on each of the body and two lenses, with body being offered as EM5 mk2. The cash alternatives are very close to retail so I'm not losing out by taking cash and buying nearly new as second hand, (other than the feeling that you are the first person to use the equipment). I also asked for the option of the 12-40pro, which they get a small discount on too.

I did use the 12mm quite a bit but as my photography is generally touristy, eg take a picture of a cathedral, sit down for a coffee and take a picture of my friends, walk around and take a picture of a landscapre, I found i was swapping around quite a bit. I got some really nice pictures with bokeh on the 25mm f1.4, but will see how i get on with the zoom.

• Like Like x 1
  13. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    Just to update, the settlements company were overruled by the insurance company who decided the camera and lenses comprised one piece of kit which I had as a valued item on my policy. So I have enough for the second hand EM5 MK2 and the 12-40 PRO, but not much spare after that.

14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    That's a bummer, considering the 12mm/f2 and 25/f1.4 sell together for nearly twice as much as the 12-40mm.

15. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    This is curious to me. I've never filed a similar insurance claim (knock on wood), but I never would have guessed that the insurance company would even offer to replace the actual items. It seems that providing a cash settlement would be much simpler. I understand that in the end you accepted cash, but I'm surprised you actually had this option.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but does anyone know if this is a common practice in the insurance industry? Is it a UK thing?

16. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

But he had an E-M5 stolen, not a Mk II. So $500 body + $1300 lenses, or $1000 body plus $800 lens, same deal, really.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Take the 12-40mm and buy EM5 Mk I with vertical grip

18. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Have a look at the useful comments in this thread I opened earlier this year. Personally, I use the 12-40 for events and travel, but take it off and use primes to cover that range for day-to-day and general local photography.

• Like Like x 1
  19. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    If the offer of new replacement kit were still an option, I'd take it in a heartbeat. The warranty is not transferable on the used body and you could easily sell off the replacement lenses to source a used 12-40 (maybe even from somewhere like MPB, so that would come with warranty).

20. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    That shouldn't really be used as a justification to swap out for the 12-40....unless of course the lack of focus was down to MFD. :blush: