Stock photography - how does it work?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by BBW, Jun 19, 2010.

1. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Recently, I've noticed something new on Flickr, it's called Getty Images Flickr: Help: Getty Images and here is their direct link: Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

I haven't had the time to read very deeply into this but thought I'd bring it up for discussion to see what some of our more seasoned members might have to say, not necessarily limited to this particular company.

• Like Like x 4
  2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Interesting subject, I'm eagerly waiting for the answers too

:bump:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    BB, It's an online Stock House.
    Say an ad agency needs an image for a campaign, they see your image and then contact the stock agency. They in turn contact you and you try to make a deal. The stock agency gets a fee more like a percentage of the sale/license.

You have to have a full understanding of the rules the stock agency implies.
    Getty has been around a long time......longer than the web....

This is a big business.......that's the basics, their guidelines are pretty clear and upfront.....

5. BBW

Right, I did understand the theory of stock photography. Good to know Getty has been around a long time. I will have to investigate more deeply, when I get around to it. I am guessing that they contact just about everyone on Flickr to make their "invitations". All of a sudden today I have been contacted and was wondering about it... I saw one of my contacts, who is a member here, has gotten involved with them, so perhaps I will contact him, too.

Thanks Don and if anyone else has any experience with this group, I'd be interested to hear from them, as well.:smile:

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

There are less scrupulous companies that 'farm' sites like Flickr for images. To be approached by a stock agency is OK. One of my images was used in a travel site for Perth - I had no problem giving permission as I was approached in an 'up front' manner.

• Like Like x 2
  7. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Getty Images is the biggest stock photo agency in the states if not the world. Many other stock agencies have folded under or folded into them. I know they have been inviting certain flickr photographers to submit preselected images for at least a year. They also own istock photo.

• Like Like x 4
  8. BBW

Thank you Bill and Lisa. I'm going to take it as a positive for Getty from everyone's posts. Appreciate everyone's comments, thus far.

9. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    getty owns istockphoto? i didn't know that - that's interesting.