Stir Crazy

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by angloasturian, Aug 9, 2010.

1. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

After almost a month of relentless bad weather (overcast skies, drizzle) we decided we had to get out for a drive that was not just to somewhere where we could get out of the rain. So we set out with packed ham sandwiches and a thermos of coffee and went to a little village called Lower Peover (pronounced ‘Peever’) where there is an old church. After eating our lunch in the car I ventured out with my E-P1 + kitlens zoom and a large golf umbrella – it was drizzling heavily but you can’t appreciate it in the photos. The church is St.Oswald’s and has been on this site since 1269. It’s one of the oldest timber framed churches in Europe.

This gravestone is in front of the door and you have to walk over it to get in the church (hence its worn appearance). Check out the date.

I rather liked the effect of this beautifully polished plaque near the altar with the stained – glass windows reflected in it. Again, check the date.

And now, as the Monty Pythons would say, for something completely different. On the way back we called in at ‘Willowpool’, a great favourite of ours. It’s a garden centre – but one like you’ve never seen before. Six acres of what looks like complete chaos where everything (EVERYTHING) is for sale. I read somewhere that they had a topiary hedge of a man playing a piano and that was sold! Anyway, here are (some of) the photos. Willowpool_2.JPG [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

These were part of Blackpool Illuminations.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

An old tuba anyone?[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The exterior tea rooms are Victorian fairground stalls.
    Willowpool_4.JPG [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Tea room itself is – well, you can see for yourselves.
    Willowpool_17.JPG Willowpool_18.JPG
    • Like Like x 2
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

What a fascinating place that garden centre is. Most interesting - thanks for sharing.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Colin, rain makes for such lush colors doesn't it? Good for you for being able to shoot one handed, though if it were me I'd have had to wedge the umbrella's handle under my armpit, I think.:wink:

I agree with you about that last interior church shot - very lovely.

I always enjoy your photo stories!

That garden center reminds me a bit of a place we have around these parts, but minus the gardens, unfortunately for us. What a fun place to wonder around...for photos and wonder. My husband would probably bring a picnic and spend the day...or the weekend.:biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hey Colin, thanks for showing us these great pics. I especially like the shots of the church, they are top.
    • Like Like x 1