1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Stills from video

Discussion in 'Video Post-Production' started by salvatore64, Jul 22, 2013.

1. salvatore64

salvatore64 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    So I screwed up. I took a video with my OMD wich I love. The prob is my wife's response was" you only did video, no pictures?" Does any one have experience with any inexpensive programs that at the same time a beginner like my self will be able to use to extract photos from a video? Thanks in advance.

Sal

2. salvatore64

salvatore64 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    If it matters I have a 6 year old Mac laptop

3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Some versions of iMovie will allow you to export a still from video. Funny thing is the newer versions are the ones that don't.

Another option is to use grab. Simply run the movie in quicktime player or other video player and stop where you want a still and then do a screen capture using grab. Grab is an app built into OSX under utilities.

If you do progess forward and get final cut, it makes exporting stills super easy.

5. Jesse_S

Jesse_S Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    VLC (https://videolan.org/vlc/) which is a free and fine video player to have anyway, will let you save a screen shot from any video. It's called "Snapshot" and is under the Video menu.

6. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    VLC is great. Better player than the Windows player.

7. speedandstyle

EVERY player is better than Windows player!

8. speedandstyle

I hadn't heard of this one before. I will check it out. This does remind me thought that MPEG Streamclip will export a still frame. It is also a free download. I use it all the time to convert various video formats.

9. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Ain't THAT the truth, lol.

10. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Check your camera, all of my GH's and the GF3 let me save a frame when playing back a video. Your's might too.

11. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    I seriously thought that every single person in the world switched to vlc years ago. It is the only player that I've encountered that actually works, every time, flawlessly, and can play anything.

12. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    On a mac to do a screen grab press

Command+Shift+4

this will normally allow you then to drag to define an area of the screen to grab.

but if instead you then press the spacebar it will automatically select the window under the pointer.

the file is save as a PNG file to your desktop

K

13. salvatore64

salvatore64 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    Thank you everyone for your knowledge , you may have saved me this time.

14. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Lightroom does this too. I think it's called Capture Frame. It allows you to save a frame as a jpg.