1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Stills and Video Concurrently

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Feb 6, 2015.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    While it's possible to take video and still with the likes of the E-M1, more or less at the same time, there are times when out in the bush when I want to take wide angle video but narrower FOV stills. So when I received my crash cam the other day and tested it out, I found that the video quality is pretty much on par with a GoPro (1080p Full HD), has a very good lens, and produces great video with a wide dynamic range. So I thought this would be an ideal combination for what I sometimes want, as the camera is very light, can run for well over half an hour with the built-in battery and the 16GB card seems to go for hours of video recording with H.264 compression. There are in fact crash cams that provide 2K and now 4K quality at prices that are better often than a GoPro.

Anyway, this is what I ended up doing (from bits and pieces I had lying around) and it works very well indeed. I initially located the camera onto the hot shoe, but it showed too much of the lens, so mounting it on an extended arm has it showing only what's in front of the lens. It weight stuff all, so it's not an impediment to hold whatsoever. If I wanted to use it with a longer lens, I'd just attach the holder to the foot of the lens.

em-1video2.

em-1video1.

• Like Like x 3
  2. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Now you just need to produce a video using the combination. Do you have a YouTube channel going?

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I have Vimeo, but I'll need to wait until something meaningful comes about, as just shooting video for the sake if it isn't going to achieve very much. This combo could have been really useful last year when I did some work out of a helicopter, I could have fired off more video than I did and been able to provide what the video shooter couldn't.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I downloaded a short video onto Vimeo to show how the dash cam performs, but Vimeo completely trashed the quality when it converted the file to 720p, so I deleted it. I have a feeling they are pushing for people to sign up so that they can upload and retain high quality video. I simply don't shoot enough video to have a yearly account and if I just pay for a monthly account, if I stop, I understand all 1080p videos get downgraded to 720p.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I tried again, but this time converting to 720p before uploading. I'm not sure what's going on with Vimeo, as it keeps saying that it's still converting from SD to HD. it's never taken so long before, but anyway, here's what it looks likes in the bastardised Vimeo version:

https://vimeo.com/118977262

Oh, and this was taken with the camera attached to my monopod and I just moved about while watching the screen at the end (more or less).