Still trying to pick out first prime

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by olympus5000, Nov 12, 2012.

1. olympus5000

olympus5000 New to Mu-43

Sep 22, 2012
    Recently I was picking between the 25mm and the 45mm. Recently i've realized that I may need a different lineup. The 75mm is on my list of lenses to have but at that price point I may need to settle on a cheaper lens for tele prime purposes such as the 45mm or 60mm. In the meantime I am looking at the 20mm lens and the 30mm Sigma lens to get me started on the wider range. I only have a kit lens so far. Not a newbie to photos or mirror less cameras. I had owned NEX in the past. I want two primes but I am not sure where to start. I keep on coming back to the 45mm. What are your suggestions for someone who can't afford the 75mm for a while? I also don't want to end up with too many lenses. One zoom and two primes for the near future is all I want.
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    What's your budget first? There are lots of options! You can also adapt a cheap 50mm and spend that money on a fast standard like the 25 or 20.
  3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    I got the Panny 20mm and the Oly45mm, on top of the lenses that came with my camera.

Great combo, and should cover a lot of my shooting.
  4. olympus5000

olympus5000 New to Mu-43

Sep 22, 2012
    My budget is to start off with 1-2 lenses. I need 1 prime that's at least 1.8. I really I don't want too many lenses. 2 primes and 1 telephoto zoom. My price range per lens is about $500 which limits me to the 45mm and the others i've mentioned. I do not want to go the manual focus route. I have lenses I can adapt already such as minolta, hexagon, etc. I am looking for autofocus lenses only.
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Just do it.
  6. olympus5000

olympus5000 New to Mu-43

Sep 22, 2012
    I may just do that since so far that's the only one I may really need at this point.
  7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    What focal length do you find yourself gravitating to with the kit lens? Pick your primes based on the focal lengths you use most. There aren't any bad native primes in the M43 lineup so simply choose based on what you're going to find most useful.

And if what you're going to find most useful is the 75, just save a bit longer before getting it. It may cost more than you want to spend but you're far better off spending money on lenses that are going to get a lot of use because they meet your needs than buying lenses for any other reason. You get your money's worth out of lenses that you use because they meet your needs. You don't get your money's worth out of lenses you buy simply to have a great lens, or because the "price was right" when it's not a lens that meets a real need.

If you "don't want to end up with too many lenses", then you need to make sure that your purchases meet genuine needs, not wants.
  8. olympus5000

olympus5000 New to Mu-43

Sep 22, 2012
    I find that I prefer the focal length of 25mm and the 75mm. It's going to be a long wait for the 75mm. Quite honestly I don't feel like spending that much on a lens so I may have to go with the 20mm 1.7 and the 45mm 1.8.
  9. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    There isn't a big difference in focal length, or in speed, between the 20 and the 25. It's relatively easy to use either of those lenses for similar sort of work.

There is a big difference in focal length and field of view between the 45mm and the 75mm, and that translates into a big difference in what you use them for/how you use them. I know because I have both. My feeling with them is that you will have a strong preference for one or the other. If you can only afford one of them and you buy the wrong one you'll find yourself wanting to get the other down the track and spending even more money in order to get it. In my case I have a strong preference for the 75mm. Both are wonderful lenses but if you want something longer than the 45mm and you don't want to end up with too many lenses or end up spending more than you have to, then my advice is to pass on the 45mm, save a little longer, and buy the 75mm.

It may be a longer wait but it will be a shorter wait than you'll have if you buy the 45mm, find it doesn't really meet your needs, and then have to start saving again for the 75mm.
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would pick up the 20mm or 30mm like you're planning, then add a legacy Fast-Fifty in the f/1.4 or f/1.8 range to meet your longer needs until you can afford the m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8. There are so many wonderful but inexpensive fast-fifty options out there, that they should easily tide you over until you can afford to go all-native again. Your 20mm or 30mm will be able to stay with you through the entire journey, and being a useful companion to a legacy 50mm as well as a native 75mm. Plus when you get your 75mm, you'll still have the fast-fifty to "fill the gap" in between, and it won't put you back financially.