1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Still problems with my epl-2..

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Exposed, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    I've been working with my epl-2 and the 14-42 II lens and still am seeing problems I just never had with either my Nikon d70s or d300. I emailed Olympus and they told me to use the "gradition" filter. I have been playing with it but still end up with the "foggy" look. See the attached photos and the part I am talking about is the sky, how it bleads into the photos, like there is haze on the lens. Any thoughts?

Randy

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Those pics are pretty down-resed, but that still doesn't look very normal to me. Do you have another lens to try? Did you buy the camera used or new? Swapping for a new one might be in order, if it's still within the first couple of weeks. That bleeding is pretty severe, IMO. I do shots like that all the time, and haven't see that before.

here are two similar examples: EPL2 w/kit lens (though one is using the FCON attachment).

20110930-P9300201.
    20111008-PA080536.

3. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    I have had it since about April of this year. As long as I do not shoot towards the sun or cloudy, foggy areas, all is great. I only have the kit lens. Thank you for the comments.

Randy

4. DIS Ottawa

DIS Ottawa Guest

It looks like an exposure problem. Are you using evaluative mode in the light meter? Raw or jpeg? Can you tell us what settings you're using as that may point to the issue.

Of course, it's always possible that there is something wrong with the camera.

5. This effect reminds me of light fungus or haze on an internal lens element, but nothing you'd expect to find in such a new lens.

I also remember getting a similar effect on an SLR from changing lenses after ascending 2000m and (presumably) getting condensation inside the camera but once again, not a likely cause here if the problem has persisted for so long.

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    That is weird. Could need a lens hood on a few of those shots though. I've found that the mkii kit lens is prone to glare more than the mki.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Could you upload / make available better resolution images of these sample shots? It's tough to tell if it's fog, or something else.

8. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    That is definitely not normal. I would first try to determine if the problem is with the camera or the lens. If you have no other lenses, can you borrow one? If not, visit your local camera store and try shooting with a different lens.

You might also want to make sure that the lens and sensor are clean. But since you only have this one lens, unless you take it off for some reason, I can't imagine the sensor or the back end of the lens getting dirty.

9. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yeah I think it also looks like the metering/exposure is off. Best if you can upload a version with EXIF data for us to examine...

10. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    When uploading it tells me the file cannot be bigger than 1mb. How can I upload a larger file?

11. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Just something bigger than what you uploaded the first time, which was really tiny. 1200 or 800 pixels on the long side should work.

12. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Here is one, how is it? These are right out of the camera, no post work.