1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Still problems with focus on G5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Triggertrevor, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Triggertrevor

Triggertrevor Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2013
    Hi all I'm interested in anyone who shoots sports using a G5.

The problem I'm having is trying to nail the focus wile shoots kids football uk type lol

I have tried continuous af but the frame rate was too slow so I went back to af single.

I first tried a medium focus box but found I was having back focusing issues so I tried the small focus box and was advised to set my focus point I little lower to the ground which I tried and by looking at my shoots this improved the back focus issue to a degree.

But today seems to have been my worst day with a lot of shots being out of focus and this is starting to anoy me.

The lenes I've been using today are 35-100 2.8 pan shot at 2.8-3.2 and the 45-175 4-5.6. Shot at around 5.6 at the long end

I am not really sure were to go from here So ny advise would be great.

Cheers kev

2. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I do not shoot sports but sometimes when I'm facing tricky scenes (like back focusing, or the camera trying to focus on something in front of the main subject) I use Pinpoint focus mode.
    I set the pinpoint timing to "Long".

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I am in a similar-ish situation. Convinced my father to come over to m4/3 cameras from a Nikon D80, and he has a G5. He wants to track running dogs, and I can tell you from experience with cameras as early as the G2 to even the G5 and my brief time with the GH3, you aren't going to get motion tracking with these cameras. Your best bet is just to pre-focus in an area that you know the players are going to run to.

If you really needs sports shooting capability, your best bet is to supplement your micro 4/3 system with an introductory level DSLR. Anything from Sony, Nikon, Canon, or Olympus, even if it is bottom-end and/or last generation, will work great for you. For about the price of the 35-100mm lens, you can get yourself both a camera body and something like the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 HSM, which while larger, will track motion like nobody's business. Also, the buffer on our mid-range Panasonic cameras is pretty frustrating, coming from SLRs. Look at the buffer clearing times of a G5 vs a D3100, for example: a last-generation bottom-end D3100 will clear the buffer in 5 seconds after 16 raw files, while the G5 takes 12 seconds after only 9 photos shot in raw.
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D3100/D3100A6.HTM
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-g5/panasonic-g5A6.HTM
    At a certain point, it just makes sense on many levels to get the right tool for the job. Currently for sports, micro 4/3 just isn't there.

4. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    I shoot a lot of running dogs with my G5, and i use most of the times Olympus 45mm 1.8 lens or Panny 45-200

Settings i have found very useful are, set focus mode to AFF, use single focus point size medium and set fastest burst mode on. Then just follow your subject and shoot :) Works for me everytime.

Few examples:

10509866476_7c20524998_c.

10510065673_7d0f418541_c.

9375346925_a075a1da0a_c.

9590374469_de44e1ff7a_c.

At this weekend it tried E-M5 and it just did not work out photos like this. I was really disappointed, but its possible that i just didn't found correct settings to shoot photos like these.

Only real issue for me with G5 is the fact that raw buffer is too small and camera write files too slowly to FAST (95mb/s) SD card. EM-5 was 100x times better with these (on the other hand I did not get any photos in focus with E-M5 :D )

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  5. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Superb shots Lightning, can you tell us what lens was used for them and settings? love the water shot!

• Like Like x 1
  6. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    1,2, and 4 used the 45/1.8. #3 used the 45-200.

May I suggest that you install a browser plugin to read the EXIF elements of images? In Chrome, I use EXIF Viewer. For images that include the data you can read all sorts of interesting things - exposure settings, ISO, flash info., serial numbers :), etc.

• Like Like x 1
  7. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    Thanks a lot!

Lens is Oly 45mm except "water photo" is taken with Panny 45-200mm =)

Here are the links for these photos on Flickr, where you can see exif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/graphiksi/10510065673/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/graphiksi/10509866476/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/graphiksi/9590374469/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/graphiksi/9375346925/

My flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/graphiksi

8. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Sorry not a computer expert :smile: thats damn good for the 45-200, mine was never that sharp. 1 & 2 are very sharp, I have G5 with the 45 and been playing around with slightly higher F as my wide open still shots can sometimes be a little soft. What settings in the cam? Are you doing much processing of the images?

9. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    "Settings i have found very useful are, set focus mode to AFF, use single focus point size medium and set fastest burst mode on. Then just follow your subject and shoot" :)

S priority and shutter speed around 1/1000-1/2000. And always use RAW format!

I just do basic processing in Lightroom 5: white balance, colors, highlights and shadows, contrast, sharpening, noise reduction, crop etc, nothing special.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    We must have different experiences, 'cos I've found every single "introductory level DSLR" to be completely useless at tracking.
    I say get at minimum a nikon D7000, something with a proven C-AF-tracking track record, excuse the pun.

I do however agree with you on the shallow and slow buffers in these Panasonics.
    My G3's buffer is no better than the original G1.

11. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Don't forget about Nikon One. I just picked up a J1 because I was having the same issues. It might be faster than my D7000. Even keeps tracking if the subject leaves and re enters the frame. I'm actually on the fence about dumping my M43 stuff now.

12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    At the risk of being semi-off topic, I have had exactly the same experience, even with exactly the same cards.

13. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    + one here.
    One of my main complaints about the G5 is the buffer issue.

14. Triggertrevor

Triggertrevor Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2013
    Cheers everybody for your hints and tips but apart from trying raw as I shoot jpg I've tried all the things everybodys advised???
    Sorry I haven't tried AFF as yet but shooting say a single object like say the dog in the previous images isn't a problem for me it's when you've 5 and 6 objects in the frame i.e football players this is when I have problems getting things sharp even when using my 35-100 2.8.

Cheers kev

15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    It's really my only actual complaint about the G5, which I otherwise find a capable if sort of uninspiring camera. :)

16. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    Perhaps you can try to set 23- af area mode on and hope that automatic choose focus points correctly and keep every other settings as i advised earlier (AFF etc).

17. Mathom33

Mathom33 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2013

18. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I found the "Long" setting to be the better option because it gives you enough time to check if you've nailed the focus on the subject before the magnified image returns to normal view.
    Just try it for yoursef and see if it fits to you.

19. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    Looks like G6 is a lot better with this when using fast 95mb/s sd card. Buffer clearing time 3 seconds after 7 RAW files vs G5 12 seconds after 9 RAW files.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-g6/panasonic-g6A6.HTM

G6 also have faster focus, and a lot of other features over G5. It is just shame that there is no improvement in the IQ.

20. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Try shooting with a Samsung body and you'll feel like the G5 is a pro sports camera. I'm still trying to figure out how a flash memory (maybe The flash memory) manufacturer shorts it's own products.