1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Still OK to buy an EPL-1 ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Fred S, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    I am looking for something I can almost throw in my pocket.
    Which can take good Pictures.
    I do not need 27 AF points. I generally shoot SAF
    I do not need a complex menu. Just adjustable A, S or M priority
    I do not need a Telephoto lense 14-42 is good enough

Good IQ is important

Will the EPL-1 fit my needs ?

Thanks in advance

2. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia

SAF, A-S/M Mode and kit 14-42 will be great perform by EP-L1 if thats only what you need

3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Where, when and what are you planning on shooting?
    Is available light a concern?
    Portraits, groups, landscapes, etc...
    IQ quality is a concern, what is application or what do you consider as per quality

You'll need to offer a little more info, this camera may fulfill your needs, but the lens may not, or possibly you'll require a light source beyond the on board flash.

Oh and my bad, welcome I'm sure you'll find a supportive, positive community here.

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    You may find the E-PL2 will do what you need and for a comparable price. Just after the Pen 3 series bodies were announced the consensus still seemed pretty positive about the E-PL2 being a bit of a bargain in terms features, functionality and cost. I think they also introduced the 14-42mkII kit with the E-PL2 and its much faster and quieter than the mkI.

On the Panasonic side the GF-2 would be a suitable equivalent but you may favour the manual controls of the Oly over the touch-screen on the Pany.

5. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    E-PL1 with kit lens delivers sharp, detailed images outdoors in bright light - many reviewers say a tad sharper than any other Pen camera. Thus for that use the E-PL1 is an incredible bargain at current prices.

If you need to manually focus the low resolution screen of the E-PL1 will make that task difficult unless you also buy the $200 VF-2 electronic viewfinder. Or buy the E-PL2 that has a screen with twice as many dots.

If you need to shoot video, the kit lens of the E-PL1 makes noise when focusing. If you want silent focus you need to either get an E-PL2 or buy the kit lens for the E-PL2 or E-PM1 or E-PL3. The E-PM1 shoot noticably superior video than either the E-PL1 or E-PL2.

If you need to shoot in low light without a flash the E-PL1 focuses slower than the E-PL2 and especially compared to the E-PM1 and E-PL3.

6. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Curious about the noise, will it be reduce on epl2?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using EP-L1

7. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Personally, I'd get the EPM-1 (mini) over the EP1. If you want a dialed PASM or don't like the look of the mini then the EPL-2. The EPM-1 kit zoom is significantly better then the one that comes with the EP-1 that is prone to wobble.

8. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    Thank you for all the reply's.

My main interest is Nature photography but my E520 with 70-300 ( 140-600 )
    takes care of that.
    I need something easy to carry
    90 % of my shooting will be outdoors
    I will be shooting mainly landscapes, scenery occasional people and buildings
    I doubt If I will ever shoot videos.

Locally An EPL1 sells for $ 300.00 New in Box
    A silver EPL-2 sells for $ 500.00 only silver, one left at that price
    The EPl-3 sell for $ 579.00
    My concern is in a few month will I be saying " Wish I spend $ 200.00 more on the EPL-2 "

IMO I consider this is good IQ
    from my E-520 14-54 MK 1 lens

Attached Files:

9. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    In Canada, one can get an EPL1 for $299 CDN or the EPM1 for $399 CDN from Henrys? I don't know your taxes or shipping costs. That extra $100 gets you an AF illumination which will help you focus in dark places. You also get a slightly more compact lens and a smaller body. Finally, the focus speed of the lens and body is much faster. Worth a thought. That's only $6/month extra if you get to thinking of a new camera 18 months from now. Fits in pocket better too.

I don't think there are many other cameras for $300 new that can come close to the EPL1 for IQ. Certainly no compacts. If you find some entry level DSLR's on clearance, they have better IQ. By the way, all the PEN's have the same basic sensor attributes, so the $399 EPM1 and $899 EP3 are similar to the EPL1 for IQ.

As far as the lens, the EPL1 lens is decent and typical for this price class. Hey, it's a $100 lens. People that switch and upgrade are going to be spending $200, $300 or more for a lens.

EDIT:
    Since I see you have an E520, many users, including me, think the EPL1 IQ is better, especially above ISO 800. I have the E510. I think the 14-42 from the E510 is slightly better than the EPL1's version. My Zuiko 70-300 and Zuiko 40-150 MKII work OK on my EPL1 with the $115 Panasonic DMW-MA1 adapter. They take about 2 and 1 second to focus respectively. The 14-54 is slower from what I hear. Probably OK for landscapes.

10. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    E-PL2

This is what I did. No regrets at all. I gave my E-PL1 to my daughter and bought the E-PL2. The differences that mattered to me: larger and higher resolution screen and the faster maximum shutter speed. The hidden surprise was the 14-42mm II lens that comes with the E-PL2; it focuses much faster and is a great improvement over the original. If you are going to keep the kit lens; get the 14-42mm II (or the newer restyled "R" that comes with newer bodies).

If you want a real pocket shooter; skip the kit lens and choose the Panasonic 14mm, Olympus 17mm, or the favored Panasonic 20mm (used prices in order: $200, $175, $300+).

Lee

11. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    It will have to be a big pocket - the E-PL1 is quite a bit chunkier than the most recent models (E-PL3/E-PM1). :smile:

12. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    since I'm just entering the realm of the micro 4/3s world, I can say that for the price, I don't think you can go wrong with the E-PL1.... images from a small body are quite good... in once you start using some manual focus legacy lenses, you'll be hooked....
    this one is from the kit 14-42mm lens fo my E-PL1

13. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    When comparing the various cameras on dpr, I think it's noticeable that the EPL1 is the sharpest camera I've seen them test in the sub-dslr category- even rivaling many dslrs......check dpr and in the "comparison" screen select other cameras and compare the sharpness the EPL1 attains compared to any other camera- you'll be impressed.

I own a GH2, G2, GX1, NEX3, Pentax Q and now Samsung NX11 (and various DSLR's and compacts) and the EPL1 is the sharpest I've compared (online)......I did buy one from a member here online in the classifieds section and will finally add an EPL1 to my collection....no regrets. (it's on it's way via mail)

I highly recommend the EPL1!

14. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Olympus E-PL1 Review: Digital Photography Review

Comapred to the Nikon D3000, the old EPL1 is VASTLY superior in terms of resolution as well as other aspects....its a genuine stellar camera with a lesser form factor- other than that, it's a winner.

15. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I also say that it is a really good buy. You can't go wrong.

16. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Then the E-PL1 with it's kit lens would be ideal for you and it should take slightly sharper and more detailed photos than your E-520 because it has a weaker anti-aliasing filter.

17. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S

You are right. What do you expect from a $ 100.00 lens
    Spending $ 300.00 on an EPL-1 and adding a faster lens would make sense . like a Panasonic 14mm, Olympus 17mm. This is another alternative

18. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I think you may be better off with an e-pm1, and it's available at Saneal for $399. I'd go to the main store on 11 ave and 14st sw ask for William. If you want a 17 I've got one I'll let go if your interested.

19. Lili

Lili Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 24, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    My E-PL1 lives with the Oly 17mm Attached. I use my E-PL2 with adapted MF lenses and my several zooms.

20. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    Thanks Grinch
    I tried both at London drugs
    I held an e-pm1. It is a little small for my hands.
    the E-PL1 was the right size for my hands

London drugs has the e-pm1 for $ 379.99