Stiff Panasonic 14-42mm lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by RaZZ3R, Mar 23, 2012.

1. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    My lens seems to stiff to do video work and it's annoying even shooting stills. The zoom rings works good if a rotate it at high speed but when i trie to do it slowly it because so stiff that it jurks from one position to another and it's really anoying this sudden jumps betwen focal range and it's more wors for focus ring because i can not focus manual withou shacking the camera even the slightest bit and it makes it useless to shoot video with slow manual focus even on a tripod. Maybe I got a bad copy but it wasn't so annoying until I started shooting some videos. Please tell is it my lens, a this model lens type or my technic of rotating the rings slowlie on triepod thing ?

2. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Mine is similar to yours. Can't shoot video with it.

3. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    btw Panasonic sells a zoom ring that has a lever for smooth zooming.

4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I have owned two 14-42mm's and one 14-45mm (which I will always keep.) The 14-45mm always has and likely always will zoom more smoothly than either 14-42mm. However, with one of the 14-42mm's, I actually sat there and zoomed in and out for 10 minutes each day (while watching TV or something like that.) Eventually, the plastic-on-plastic did smooth out quite a bit. It still isn't perfect, but much better, and could probably be used for video without a problem.

5. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    Now that's one hell of a way to overlyuse your lens to get what should have been from the start a "smoother use of youre kit lens" (pun intended :p).I'm starting to think I shoul put a little "something" in the lens to get a better result, but since it's an all digiral mount and electronics, and micro-motor, that wouldn't be a good ideea.

6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Just sold mine, but the 14-42 that came with my G2 was pretty stiff/rough as well. Video zooms were always jerky.

7. Smooth 14-45mm. Stiff 100-300mm. Good news is with use the 100-300mm is "loosening" up a bit. Noticed that pointing the lens up it zooms in & pointing it down it zooms out nice and smooth. Don't shoot video. But even for still shots it's a bit of a drag. Guess it beats a lens that self zooms due to gravity.

8. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    It's called zoom creep and it's not really good to happen that to youre lens because if you trie to shoot something downword (like macro shots) you might squash youre subject :rofl: and if you trie to shoot upwords, say like a bird, a plane, maybe superman, then you might not be able to zoom as much as you want since you have to keep youre hand on the lens to get youre focal range you want.

I just might get pissed off enough to keep zoming in and out for couple of hours to fix the damn issue, since I'm to poor to get a PZ lens and to scared to give my lens a lotion massage :rofl:

9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I've had one Panasonic kit lens, a 14-42 that I got with a G3 that I only kept less than a week. I stuck the kit lens on once just to check it out and it was terrible. I was actually amazed that a lens that came with such a nice camera could feel so horribly built. Turning the zoom ring was just the worst feeling I could imagine, really tight, not consistent through the range, very herky jerky to try to zoom it through the range. I don't even shoot video so I didn't have any real practical reason to care, but it was even difficult to get it to stop at some of the intermediate points. I've had plenty of lenses that were less than perfect, but this was just bad, nasty, terrible. If I'd kept the camera I'd have returned the lens for an exchange.

I've had other Pany lenses with minor friction (or lack thereof) issues, but they were all manageable. I had a 45-200 that had way too little friction and the zoom creep was astonishing - I'd hang the camera by the strap and the lens would immediately zoom all the way out, and fast enough that you'd hear a bit of a thunk when it hit bottom. I've had two 14-140s - one was notably tight (but still smooth enough to operate easily - still mildly distracting) and one that was just about perfect. And a 100-300 that felt just about perfect. It might have had a slightly bit of zoom creep, but it wasn't enough to be a problem.

But that 14-42 Pany kit lens was in a league of its own in terms of bad...

-Ray

10. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    Is the old kit lens 14-45mm as same as bad, I would like get one of that instead, or should I just get the new PZ 14-42mm lens thinking, OK hopping then, that would be much better ?

11. Mandoo

Mandoo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Essex, UK
    I changed from the 14-42 to the 14-45 and the latter is noticeably better. Smoother movement, better quality optics and the ability to switch off the IS make it worth the upgrade, in my opinion.

12. littlehaste

littlehaste New to Mu-43

Jan 4, 2013
    I just bought a lightly used G3 which had been "upgraded" to the 14-45 mm lens. I got it on eBay. It looks little used and is in excellent condition. Nevertheless, the lens zoom ring binds and it looks as if the lens will be essentially useless for zooming during video. That's a bummer.

Has anyone had such a lens problem repaired and if so what did it cost?

13. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    I think it's a design problem not an QC one. Never thought about repairing it since I don't use it so much ( damn you prime lenses :wink: ). I think it would be better to upgrade to something better (Olympus 12-50mm, Pannasonic 12-35mm or the 14-140mm/14-150mm lenses if you need better reach. I just don't find the range useful anymore, unless I get the 10/10.5 time zoom lenses for general use ^_^

14. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I also have a 100 - 300 which is stiff to zoom and a bit jerky but the stiffness does stop lens creep
    This has been an issue reported on other sites so although not common is not entirely unusual
    Rob

15. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    I really hope for a second generation 100-300 and 14-42 (not counting the X one) with better build quality. I really like the 200-600mm idea ^_^