1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

stiff focus ring on a Jupiter-8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by rhoydotp, Aug 29, 2012.

1. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    I'm guessing it needs to be cleaned or re-lubed. Anybody here have done it by themselves? Any tip will help at this point :smile:

2. the.growler

the.growler Mu-43 Regular

The factory lubricants in FSU lenses are notorious for drying out and solidifying over time. Fortunately, the Jupiter-8 is very easy to service. Kim Coxon's site has guides to servicing both Jupiter-3s and Jupiter-8s (they are the same fundamental design) - between the two guides, you will probably find instructions for whichever version of Jupiter-8 you have.

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/repairs/j3service.pdf

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/repairs/j8service.pdf

The biggest challenge is fitting the 3 parts of the focus helix back together to give the lens block enough rearward travel to reach infinity focus. Each helix has multiple possible starting points - meshing the 3 parts together means multiple permutations, only one of which is correct. Make sure you photograph every step of the dis-assembly thoroughly, be prepared for a lot of trial and error and, if you get frustrated, put the lens aside for a day rather than trying to force something to fit. Remember, these lenses were originally assembled by hand without the benefit of any automation or specialized tools - you can do the same with enough patience.

I find that electrical contact cleaner is an excellent de-greaser, btw. It leaves no residue and dries very quickly.

Have fun!

• Like Like x 1
  3. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    I heard it was because whale oil was used any way to confirm that or does anybody know for sure

4. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    thanks for the link! it looks easy enough, but patience is not something that comes naturally to me :rofl:

i'll update this thread once I muster enough courage to start doing this :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.