Stiff "bayonnet" on EM10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by correos.e, Apr 10, 2014.

1. correos.e

correos.e Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Already read some reports. I have a hard time inserting lens on my new EM10, including a used 45mm and a new oly 25mm. I would sand the pieces of metal a bit, but the sensor is right there, so this is a terrible idea. Should I just get used to it?
  2. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    I had the same issue with the exact same lenses (a Oly refurb 45mm and a new 25mm). They were very tight at first but have much gotten better over time (I've had both for about a month). I never had any trouble with the 14-42 EZ and the 40-150mm.
  3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Many have reported that their lenses fit tight. My 45 was very tight on several bodies. I suggest getting used to it, and do not sand any metal. You may be successful and not cause any damage, but then again you may not and possibly regret it.

Good luck,

4. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Depends a lot on the lens. I have the Olympus 17mm/1.8 and that is noticeably harder to get on/off my EM10 than any of my other m4/3 lenses (14-42IIR, 14-42EZ, 40-150II, both Body Cap Lenses, a m4/3 version of Lensbaby Composer) or the adapter I use for older OM lenses. The 17mm does seem to be getting better as I use that combination though.
  5. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Are you coming from DSLRs?

I've noticed when moving from my Canon 5D Mark II to the OM-D that lenses were a tight fit. Either they got looser or I've gotten used to it, but it's not an issue I think about these days. :)
  6. hampshire1

hampshire1 New to Mu-43

Apr 6, 2014
    I started a topic about this and I can report that mine is getting better.
  7. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Perfectly normal. Every m4/3 lens I've bought so far was VERY stiff to mount. After a week you don't even notice it any more. They "break in".
  8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Eat some Wheaties …… :smile:
  9. chargedmr2

chargedmr2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2014
    In some cases the lenses appear to be ridiculously tight. For example my 12-40mm fits pretty tight, but not in a worrisome way as some describe. However, I picked up a 9-18mm the other day and it fits FAR tighter than the 12-40mm. So much so that if I did not grip it at at the very back (toward the rear of the lens), I believe it would be possible to damage the lens. Some users (actually, just one that I came across) have reported breaking lenses in this fashion. That's the bad news.

The good news is that the problem appears to be easily resolved. As recommended by a user elsewhere, simply take your index finger and rub it directly on the side of your nose. Yes, I am being serious. Now rub the natural oil onto the mount where the metals come into contact (it's best if you stop showering for a week before trying this--OK, that's a joke:smile:). Now mount your lens and notice the difference. Apply a little more "oil" if needed. This completely resolved the issue with my 9-18mm. By comparison, it now mounts easily. But, I don't know how long this will last.
  10. bokehtime

bokehtime Mu-43 Rookie

May 2, 2014
    Toronto, Ontario
    I just recently bought the E-M10, 45mm and 25mm. Coming from a Canon shooter, mounting those lens were tighter than what I'm use it. I rather them be tight than loose to be honest.