Stick with E-M5 or switch to GM5 or keep both?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by BigTam, Dec 27, 2014.

1. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I have an E-M5 with 9-18, O25, Sigma 60 lenses. (I have tried many non-kit lenses over the past 2 years, these are the keepers for my style.) Still have an Oly 40-150, nice lens, but rarely used, and would fetch very little by selling. I also have an X100, which I love, with an f2 lens equivalent to a 17mm M43. I bought a Panasonic 12-32 recently (it's still in the post) with a view to having a small and light travel lens, and possibly replacing the 9-18.

Now I've just bid €650 for a GM5 with the slow 35-100 and, to my amazement, I won!

Now what do I do?

I could keep the GM5 with both Panasonic zooms as a travel camera and keep the E-M5 for low light. Downside: financial.

I could sell the E-M5. Downside: no IBIS on the GM5 for the Oly lenses. But I could buy the Panasonic 15 or 20 or 25 and the 42.5 or 45 to replace the O25 and S60.

I could sell the GM5 body. Downside: no real reduction in size or weight. Upside: 35-100 lens for practically nothing, could sell the 40-150, then I'm in the black.

I could sell the 9-18 and the 40-150 and keep the E-M5 as a low-light camera with the O25 and S60, and the GM5 as the outdoor, lightweight kit.

What would you do? Background: I'm a total amateur, mostly travel and family photos. Mostly P- or A-mode with adjustments and/or exposure compensation, hate shooting with rear screen (although I sometimes use touch-to-focus for candid shots), must have an EVF, very rarely use flash. Often low-light no flash in churches or museums.

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If you aren't hurting for cash immediately, I'd try using both of the cameras as you would naturally, in the situations that you think they work best, and see which you prefer. With the way I use my cameras, I wouldn't be happy with a GMx as an only body. But I definitely covet one as a 2nd camera, and I think the GM5 would be a great replacement for my GX1.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Up to now I used the X100 as my second backup body. But I can see me using the GM5 in that role.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sell the X100. The GM5 and E-M5 sound like and awesome camera combo!

• Like Like x 1
  5. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    That's a sensible, rational view, Jonathan. But I would really, really hate to sell my X100. Irrational, emotional attachment :)

6. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    sell most of it. bye the new x100T. keep the em5 with only the 25 1.8. get really restricted 2015. feed the g.a.s with this new and fresh x100t. thats just what I should have done :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If you like the X100, keep it or sell it and buy a newer one. The X100s is only $850 now. If you like the Fuji output, the mu43 cameras won't really replace it. I've read that the new "slow" 35-100 is a very nice lens sharpness wise, so you could get rid of the 9-18 (if 12 is wide enough) and the 40-150. You really won't get all that much for a used EM5 anymore so you might as well keep it. The GM5 will sell for more. The question there is do you really want a small mu43 body? My choice would be to sell the GM5 and keep the nifty little 35-100. This is no surprise since I just sold my GX7 to buy an X100s to go with my EM5. I have an EPM2 as a back up mu43 body.

• Like Like x 1
  8. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keep everything! That's what I do :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  9. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I'd lean to keeping as much as possible, too, mainly because having two bodies widens your possibilities greatly. Put one of the small zooms on the GM5 and one of the primes (or the ultrawide zoom) on the E-M5, and you're set for a day of shooting without needing to swap lenses a lot. So I'd keep both bodies at any rate.

Since the 12-32mm is a great little lens and the 35-100 appears to be another compact wonder, and both come with O.I.S., they'll probably make the 9-18mm and 40-150mm stay at home even more (you didn't say a lot about how much you use the 9-18mm, though). I for one don't think you'll use those older zooms a lot as long as the two compact ones stick around. The 40-150 is an okay lens, but I find it rather unsatisfying to handle compared to the much more compact, yet heftier Panasonic lenses, and while big, it lacks stabilisation, so it won't be of much use on the GM5. Do you really need the ultrawide portion? Provided the ultrawide won't be overly missed, I'd sell the 9-18mm and the 40-150mm, or at least the latter. I personally would actually keep the 9-18mm, but that's me ...

Since you mentioned finances, selling something and buying new, while enticing, doesn't seem the way to go at the moment - so keep the X100, it's a milestone camera that's still capable of amazing images - the lens/sensor match is very convincing (I own the same sensor in my Nikon D90 - still a good performer after all these years, great for people photography). So if you find working with it satisfying, why switch?

M.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Good considerations, MoonMind. I like wide, and use the 9-18 a lot, especially in small churches. I'll analyse the photos taken with it to see how many were wider than 12mm. Since the subjects for ultrawide are mostly static, I could also just take a 3 shot panorama, held vertically. That's what I did when the X100 was my only camera.

I'm leaning to selling the 9-18 and the 40-150, getting around €450. Which leaves me out €200, but with the GM5 and two compact zooms.

11. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Upon a little more reflection, I'd consider very seriously selling either the GM5 and keeping that 35-100, or sell the 40-150 and the 9-18. The 9-18 is a great lens, but You would need the IOS if you keep the GM5... Kind of a conundrum...

12. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    In the meantime, I've sold the 40-150 and put the 9-18 up for sale. Just 7% of my shots were taken between 9 and 12mm, most of them static, so I could have taken a panorama. And I've just bought an almost new GX7 and will put my E-M5 on the market. So I'll end up with GX7 + GM5, 12-32, 25 1.8, Sigma 60 and 35-100 f4.

Outdoors I can do the lightweight thing with GM5 and 12-32 + 35-100. Low light the 25 and the 60 for portraits. Sounds good to me ...

13. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I find having at least two m4/3 bodies is important for times when I want to have maximum versatility of lenses to use and don't want to be juggling lenses on and off one body. Tourist situations come to mind. Having to swap lenses is slow, increases opportunities for dust to enter the body, increases chances of dropping a lens during lens changes, increases chances to miss "the moment" etc. When you need to move and want a great range of photographic capability with minimal fuss... two bodies works great. Especially when they're are small and light as what we're talking about here.

My solution to this which you might want to consider (yours may vary or be similar in some way) is having a GX7 and a GM5. Depending on what I was doing I might have the 9-18 on the GM5 and the 12-35 on the GX7 and then just select the camera I need, moment to moment. Or the 12-32 on the GM5 and the 7-14 on the GX7. Generally, the smaller lens on the GM5 and the larger lens on the GX7.

• Like Like x 1
  14. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I've gone through the M43s' Olympus cameras starting with the EPL2, to EPL5, to EM5, and finally found the EP5 to suit my needs more than any of the others (don't like OVF or EVF, just a sharp LCD). Christmas came with a new Panasonic GM1 camera with a fantastic Pan/L 15mm f1.7! I still love my EP5 but now when I open my camera case I see 2 options, a regular full featured camera with great glass and a small easy carry camera with great glass. Keep your regular sized and small compact cameras plus in a pinch you can swap the great glass to suit your needs. It's like having the best of both!

• Like Like x 1