STF-8 Macro Flash owners......adapted to fit 12-100mm Pro.

Dave in Wales

Mu-43 All-Pro
The filter thread of the 12-100mm is 72mm.
The adapter for the 12-40mm that comes with the flash is 62mm.
Question....Would a simple step-down ring work....72mm to 62mm.

I get the feeling that the answer is 'no' and that additional ring of some description would be required to bring the 62mm flash adapter away from the step-down ring.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
Not sure if the adapter rim would protrude far enough from the step-down ring for the flashes to still clip onto, but in any case I’d also be worried that configuration might cause vignetting. I’m traveling currently and cannot check any of this out for you. If you can wait a few days, I can see if I can try it out, assuming I have the right step-down ring.

If Oly ever comes out with a larger macro lens, I expect they’ll also sell a larger adapter ring for the STF-8. Not that that would help you now...

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Edit: re-measured

Hi,

I don't have a step down ring to try, but I can confirm that a 72mm filter (Hoya Pro ND500) DOES foul the sliding flash brackets mounted on the 62mm adapter.

I've measured the narrowest gap between the two flash mounts as 73mm (compasses and a ruler).

I've measured my 72mm Hoya filter at 74mm edge to edge, so even if you could find an extremely slim diameter step down ring, it would still be fouling the mounts, in my humble opinion.

Think you would need a 72-67 step down and a 67-62mm stacked. The 67-62mm will definitely fit in between the flash mounts.

Last edited:

Dave in Wales

Mu-43 All-Pro

Hi,

I don't have a step down ring to try, but I can confirm that a 72mm filter (Hoya Pro ND500) DOES foul the sliding flash brackets mounted on the 62mm adapter.

I've measured the narrowest gap between the two flash mounts as 73mm (compasses and a ruler).

I've measured my 72mm Hoya filter at 74mm edge to edge, so even if you could find an extremely slim diameter step down ring, it would still be fouling the mounts, in my humble opinion.

Think you would need a 72-67 step down and a 67-62mm stacked. The 67-62mm will definitely fit in between the flash mounts.

Many thanks that's exactly what I was looking for.

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby

Hi,

Thanks RichardC!
Bobby

Latest threads

Top Bottom