Stevehuff's Nex 7 review- what do u think?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Bhupinder2002, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I just read the whole nex7 review by Stevehuff. To be honest the camera looks quite promising on the paper but something is missing somewhere . I mean the results havent blown me away or impressed me to jump in the Nex bandwagen . I am just wondering how many other people think like that..
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    maybe because most cameras today are pretty much the same in most peoples eyes in terms of that dreaded word "Image Quality"

Almost any current digital camera smokes their analogue equivalent of 20 years ago.

It aint about the camera... its about the photographer

The Nex 7 offers some things I can't get in my brand of choice in micro 4/3.... like built in evf and real control dials... but the native lens size really puts me off

4. pinholecam

pinholecam Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 20, 2011

Totally agree.
    There is no 'bad' camera at this juncture of time. All are good enough for most needs. ISO is easily usable at 1600 and depending on personal preference even 3200 and 6400.
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    For me, the most important quality of a camera is that I feel a bond with it and love to use it. The sensor image quality turns out to be very unimportant (to me).
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks Amin
    I fully agree. I don't know how to explain but I am really in love with Pen bodies ( Including Penelope Cruz Lol) . I can't take any other camera to bed with me just on the basis that it has something bigger( I mean sensor).I have Olympus EPL2 and I like it more than EPL3. I am gonna buy P3 next week and will do some street shooting in Melbourne.
  7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Pick a camera system, and stick with it. If you're always worrying what the grass looks like on the other side, you're never going to get anything done. If you already have a system, you'll see greater photography improvements by buying, in no particular order:
    -good support
    -good flash
    -better lenses
    -photography classes/workshops
  8. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

Totally agree with you. Why must we always look in the neighbour's courtyard? Maybe to confirm that our choise was the right one or for GAS or for lust:I don't know.
  9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Good review. Fair and balanced.

I agree that Sony should have just stuck the 16 mp sensor in the NEX7 body. That would have been awesome.
  10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
  11. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    It's a lot of money, about £1200 in the UK. I get the feeling its just another megapixel showboat, really, why would you need 24mp in a camera like that? If you want to blow pics up to billboard size get a full frame dslr.

That said, cameras like that will raise the bar for m43 so we should be thankful.
  12. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California

It's like having a pistol with a 7.62 round and a fixed scope!
    Cool and Deadly? Yes...but just take the assault rifle and call it a day.

That's just me...and yes I'm thankful. :smile:
  13. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    I have no idea what this analogy means, but I'm pretty sure it's the most sensible thing I've read in this thread.

I'm not sure why there's so much interest in a non-m4/3 camera in a m4/3 forum. Isn't there a Nex forum to talk about how great/awful it is?
  14. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    The NEX7 might be a decent camera but I don't care to read Huff anymore, too much hype and his pictures are boring.