Stevehuff Salutes the King - Oly OMD

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Bhupinder2002, May 7, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    That man salutes everything. :laugh1: Praised E-P1 when it was released, then praised E-P2, then E-P3, now E-M5. It's like he's on a payroll or something, always writing how amazing these cameras are and how good a deal they are compared to Leica so everyone should grab one through his referral links below the review asap... all that those people do are selling the stuff, they never really critique anything, good things are over-hyped and bad things are only mentioned as small, not important blemishes or simply ignored.

Not saying the review is useless of course, just that I'd take with a (huge) grain of salt. :smile:

• Like Like x 7
  3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I know and his Leica images are normally nothing spectacular which U can't get even with ur P&S camera leave aside MFT ..lol
    Its just for fun .
    Cheers

4. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Can't agree here, his images are quite good and he definitely knows how to get everything out of expensive gear, it's just that he's using them to make his slanted reviews look better so more people would buy gear through his referral links. :smile:

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    But...
    Then "we" get mad dare someone post something negative/disliked in a review....

6. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Only those that have already bought the reviewed product might get mad. Why would they read the review though since they've already made their choice? :smile:

7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yeah no kidding. Heh..I liked this part:

No doubt the next camera in 4-8 months will be the most fun camera to date. :wink:

8. Very positive review, almost too positive, although I'd find it hard to disagree with any of it. While the words were doing their best to sell the camera the same feeling wasn't really coming through to me in the accompanying images. Maybe they just weren't quite my cup of tea. Anyhow, it's nice to see a Micro 4/3 camera getting some good press.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    ditto.

but who in the world would buy (and review) a fairly expensive camera and displays art filtered images? (apparently, he is) He's got noktons for Christ's sake... take it for a better spin around!

• Like Like x 2
  10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Steve Huff is certainly a fan of m43. He has at various times "never had so much fun" with the G2, E-P2, E-P3 and now the OMD. Clearly he is a guy that just has a LOT OF FUN with his cameras. Can't fault the guy for being enthusiastic. I find his "reviews" amusing but he does tend to go a bit over the top sometimes. That said, if I am looking for a substantive review I tend to go elsewhere.

• Like Like x 2
  11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Overall good review for those who haven't used an E-M5 yet. And while it was a bit over the top at times, he did insert some particularly cogent comments in response to all the frenetic hype:

"So right up front…is the Olympus OM-D E-M5 a game changer in the world of digital mirror less cameras? Well, not really. Sure it has a great body, great controls, and it has all of the stuff we wanted to see but at the end of the day there is nothing really revolutionary about it. It doesn’t have any magic fairy dust sprinkled inside nor does it have anything amazingly special."

and

"With lenses like the newer 25 1.4, 45 1.8, and upcoming 75 1.8 even those who crave shallow DOF will have little to complain about. NO, you will not get the full frame super creamy DOF look but you can get nice results with the right lenses.... This camera no longer has all of those limitations many associate with Micro 4/3."

In this regard, this has nothing to do with the E-M5, he should have stated that all m4/3 cameras benefit from these lenses.... it is the lenses, not the E-M5 which allow better subject isolation and increased bokeh.

and

"WOW, I was impressed by the high ISO performance of this camera. It is a big leap up from the E-P3 so BRAVO to Olympus."

Yes, the IQ and lower noise is certainly a major step for those who have only used Olympus m4/3 bodies. However, the Panasonic G3 has had this wonderful IQ and great high ISO performance for going on a year now. So, for those who have been using the G3, this E-M5 sensor just brings Oly up to a standard already long-set by the G3. But for those who have only had Olympus m4/3 bodies, this IS a big deal.

I will likely reach for my E-M5 before my E-PL3 pretty much all the time now for better IQ, better high ISO performance, better stabilization, and no need to fumble around with the VF-2 anymore. Finally, Olympus has produced a body that I consider in the same general category as the GH2 and the G3 but with some nice new features - and that's a great thing! I'm looking forward to seeing Panasonic's future bodies in light of the E-M5.

We do need to remember that buying this body isn't going to make anyone a better photographer... that part is up to the shooter, not the camera.

• Like Like x 2
  12. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    He writes like a fanboy, but I think in general he's fair.

If you read his X-Pro1 review, he gives it major dings on the autofocus.

He's not a big fan of the G3 either. So not all his reviews are all "gush". It just seems like it because every other sentence contains a superlative!

13. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    This all coming from a guy who thought the IBIS noise was a mini fan cooling off the inside of his E-M5, So I take it for whats is worth....

14. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Steve Huff's reviews are like Homer Simpson's restaurant reviews, 7 thumbs up.

There aren't that many reviewers that review primarily mirrorless cameras. Thom Hogan does, but his reviews take a while to get out after the product ships.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    He spent a good while whining about the xpro1.... It's silly of anyone to act as tho his excitement about new gear is all a paid act. If you've read more than a paragraph of his reviews, you'd know hea a huge gear junky. Of course he's excited. Duh. Eye roll emote here
    He also complains about things. Pardon him for not being quite dpreview forum member-esque with his drama level over the negatives.

It's his opinion
    If you've not learned to read ALL reviews with a grain of salt. That's YOUR bad, not his.

People are so silly

Ok back to pouting about my em5 ;)

16. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Maybe it is because each generation gets better:smile:

I like the tone of his reviews, he doesn't seem to take himself too seriously.

17. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Just my 2 cents - I like Steve Huff. Rarely a brick wall in his reviews. :) I like his review phitos precisely because I could have made a lot of the shots, so I know what kind of images/IQ I'll get. Nothing too fancy or artsy where it's the photographer that shines, instead of the gear (not that I don't appreciate those shots!). He also doesn't shy away from built in art filters whereas others would barely even mention them. Too lowbrow for others, maybe. :)

And thanks to his E-PL1 review that I got into :43:

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  18. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

Because they want confirmation that they made a good buying decision?

Many buyers of camera equipment seem to have an irrational fear of buyer's remorse.

• Like Like x 1
  19. myeates

myeates Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2012
    I have read some of huffs reviews and like previous posters have said his photography is mediocre, given the gear the guy lays his hands on you would hope he would do better. Added to which the area he lives and travels across is bursting with images just waiting to be recorded, so it's not as though he struggles for poss material.

It is in the main a club for leicaphobes the biggest irony of which is most can't take a decent picture to save there life, but hey I've got a Leica so I'm a cool photographer. I have always said that you can have all the gear and no idea, I firmly believe if the likes of capa bresson et al were young men today they'd be shooting with micro four thirds, when you compare the quality it produces with what they could produce way back then it totally blows it away.

Added to which the size is perfect, the lenses are bloody superb particularly the 12mm, 20mm, 25mm, and both the 45's but hey I am biased as I own three of the four mentioned.

Just sayin.

20. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Steve's pictures are fine. Dude is not a pro photographer, he likes what he likes. What's not fine, is when he says these aren't really good pictures but I'm posting them anyway. If you don't think they are good pictures, don't post them.

Even DPreview posts art filtered pictures now, so in that way Steve is a pioneer.