Stevehuff raves and raves about EM1 in his review

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 2
  2. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Steve raves about everything. I have never learned anything useful from his "reviews" except that some people get all the toys. The cheerleader style is very popular, however.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    That's just amazing. I've never seen the Huff praise any camera in a review.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    That's because he only reviews the cameras he like!
    I dig him!
    • Like Like x 4
  5. picturewow

picturewow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    Maybe it's because there are hardly any bad camera's and lenses nowadays.
  6. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    While Steve is pretty exuberant about the cam, I think he justifies it with examples.

He loves the cam and isn't afraid to show it :)
    • Like Like x 3
  7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Unfortunately, when a review is so obviously a product from a breathless *****, it ceases to be useful. Even the best camera is not perfect, and it would be of some utility to understand the camera's strengths and weaknesses, not just it's strengths.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just love how everything comes down to whatever camera and his Leica. Snooze. :rolleyes: I think the best and most even handed reviews are from fellow forum users.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Steve has entertainment value, but not much more. His purchase recommendations are kind of ludicrous, and I guess it has a lot to do with his all-too-obvious sponsorships. Still, I dig his enthusiasm. :wink: For the record, I don't think Ming Thein's assessments of the format are of too much value either, mainly because he doesn't seem to acknowledge any brand of body or lens but Olympus even exists.
  10. yehuda

yehuda Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    Damn right!
  11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Yep, classic Steve Huff.
  12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The EM-1 is clearly a very good camera. But no reasonably unbiased tester has demonstrated that IQ, IBIS, or anything else about the camera is significantly different from the EM-5 (except, of course, AF with 4/3 lenses and ergonomics). And the EM-5 is pretty much on par with the GX7 and GH3 in terms of IQ. Look at the Camera Labs Raw comparisons, and it's pretty much impossible to tell the difference between them.

So can the EM-1 get him "80-85% of the way there"? Probably. But so can most other high quality cameras these days.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Hey, Did you go to his site? Did you read his review of the GX7? He really liked the camera. So did Michael Reichmann. So did lots of other reviewers on other sites. They just didn't like it as much as the E-M1.

ALMANST Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    ON, Canada
    Entertainment value? :confused:

I've watched a good portion of his videos (only products I may be interested in buying) and my biggest complaint about his videos is how dull and vapid they are.

I don't think I've ever watched one of them in its entirety because all I seem to learn from them is that he must love to hear himself talk.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011 Gordon Laing wrote:
    "Look closer and I'd say the OMD EM1 enjoys a small advantage over both the EM5 and GX7 when it comes to ultimate fine detail. It's not so much that there's any more of it on the EM1 crops, but it just looks finer to me. Lines and scratches in the brickwork and woodwork are a little thinner and crisper and in some cases better defined, due no-doubt to the absence of an optical low pass filter."
  16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Well actually on this very forum one user has demonstrated the E-M5's superiority on noiseless LONG exposures ...
    unless they figured another reason out for the E-M1's noise here ;
  17. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    I have no idea what Ginobetti did in his testing of the E-M1 and the E-M5 to get those results he posted. Maybe he has a faulty E-M1.

But there is absolutely no way you see that sort of noise with an E-M1 with a 60 second exposure. If I do the same thing I find actually the E-M1 has slightly less noise. There is no point in me showing you 2 100% shots from the 2 sensors because they will simply look black with no noise.

However what I can do is show you the 2 histograms...

First E-M1....

And then E-M5....

The difference is marginal.

Neither histogram looks like the one posted for the E-M1 in your link.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    I dont find Steve's reviews amusing or great, but lets not keep on using variations of spelling to point out he's a f@nb0y...

... Says the guy who did it too.

But seriously, stop using the term.
  19. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Is there some approved synonym that accurately captures the meaning of that term that we should know about? Because sometimes, that particular term most accurately expresses the meaning of an individual who fawns over a particular piece of gear out of all proportion and perspective to it's true overall value, generally in entirely non-critical worship of a particular brand - and we need some efficient way of expressing this sentiment in our discussions.
  20. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013