Steve Huff's Mini Review of the E-M10 and 12-40 f/2.8 lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gugarci, Mar 18, 2014.

1. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting review - the new sensor sounds really good. :cool:

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Steve Huff sounds more and more like a marketer and less like a camera reviewer every time I read him.

I thought it had the sony sensor and EM1 processor… Is there a new sensor?

3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yeah, Steve Huff is certainly into product promotion, as are most of the verbal pros who review gear. I am not sure that I agree with his marriage of the 12-40 with the E-M10 though; I find that combo not well balanced. He should have tried the E-M10 with O17 or O25 instead.

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I do like steve huff but its kinds like watching top gear... more for entertainment and curiosity than buyers advice. With him, keep in mind he tends to Not do reviews of things he doesnt like.. so its easy to come away with the impression of bias. Website traffic is the main business proposition so its no surprise.

• Like Like x 2
  5. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    He mentions that if you plan to use that combo buy the grip. Steve's reviews are based on real world shooting experience not shooting test charts. He uses the camera and lenses they way they meant to be used shooting real subject in real situations. I like his reviews but i also like the reviewes from DPReview and The Imaging Resource. YMMV.

• Like Like x 1
  6. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    I like reviews like Steves the most cause you get a real world idea of what it is about
    once you get to know his views a bit makes a lot more sense said this before in other post but its like numbers and things don't matter
    compare a Porsche and say Hyundai with same specs and they won't perform or handle the same so specs and numbers I can get off the manufacture site :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    I like Steve's reviews. He seems to tell it as he sees it ... which is all you could ask for. It's an opinion not a scientific test and he's up front about that. Lot's of real world images. Good luck to him and I hope he makes a killing from his site.

Looks like Oly have another winner on their hands. They can't do much wrong at the moment.

Now Oly please update your cameras to do 24/25p and we all will be very happy :)

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Makes me want an E-M10 all the more. I guess I need to break down and just get one.

9. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I like Steve Huff - everyone should have his passion for what he's doing. :smile: However, I learned to only quickly scan his reviews of new gear because it usually boils down to "this latest is the greatest" - which is kinda the point. There are only very few exceptions where he prefers the older one (can't even think of the exception, probably one of the Leicas). I tend to read in depth if he talks about something new in a camera, like the introduction of the 5-axis IBIS, etc.

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd rather read Robin Wong reviews. He's a photographer and not a salesman. I don't care if he's employed by Olympus, the proof is in the pictures.

• Like Like x 2
  11. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Proof in the pictures is a fair comment -
    Seal music tour and Steve Huff was the official photographer http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/who-am-i/my-portfolio-seal-concert-shots/

His homeless portfolio -
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/who-am-i/my-homeless-project/

His Leica M240 portfolio -
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/who-am-i/leica-m-typ-240-samples-gallery/

I particularly find his Seal music tour shots impressive as these were shot with a Leica M9 and 50mm. The Leica is not as easy to manually focus in low, constantly changing light such as that of a music tour. To get the shots that he did required a great lot of skill and intimate knowledge of his camera.

I respect his opinions and his reviews. I value that he doesn't just regurgitate what others say and is not afraid to go against the grain with his opinions which are based on real world shooting and not shooting a chart. e.g. he was the first journalist to public heavily criticize the initial X Pro 1 because the focus system and lack of good RAW support made it feel like a beta product to him. Fuji never sent him another camera after his XPro1 and XE1 reviews. Similarly he went against the grain and slated the Leica X Vario.

Steve also does something that I appreciate, he gives back to the community by allowing them to post/share their images/differing opinions/stories on his site - sure this is a clever tactic to draw numbers to the site no doubt, but there is a sincerity to it also. You get many reviews from established users, with conflicting opinions to Steves own and yet he still posts these and allows the community to make up their own mind.

Behind the scenes he organizes many photo walks, meet ups, hosts workshops around the LA area etc...
    Like his reviews or not, Steve Huff, Ming Thein, Robin Wong and many of these other photo-bloggers are photographers first and bloggers second. Hats off to them for managing to find a business model that still allows them to shoot and get paid doing something they love. I don't think we should call their credibility into question because they have found a business model that works for them.

Back on topic - his review is bang up about the EM10. For the money it's a great package. If I was buying a second m43 body, it would get serious consideration.

• Like Like x 4
  12. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Huff's reviews do tend to gush a lot over the equipment, but he does try to use the equipment as any other photographer would. I also like the pictures he posts - he'll take pictures in very ordinary situations and they always look interesting. I just take his reviews with a grain of salt - I'm sure his review work would dry up if he started criticizing the equipment.

13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser