1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Steve Huff reviews Olympus 17mm f1.8

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by LeoS, Jan 28, 2013.

1. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Mr. Huff's usual low key review :rolleyes:  I actually enjoy his reviews and his images look fine. I gather most of the complaints about the 17 1.8 were based on a lack of consistent sharpness corner to corner and maybe some disappointment that the lens wasn't as stellar as the 75. Most of Steve's shots are center-oriented so the lens should perform well for these subjects. If I need this focal length I'd give it serious thought, but I'm OK with the 17 2.8.

3. wayne

wayne Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    I was hoping to get a clear answer on his choice between the Oly 17mm, f1.4 and the Pany 25mm, f1.4. This isn't making my decision any easier...LOL.

4. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    If you need a particular focal lengths, it's tough.

I've read Steve Huff for a while now. He's preached a kit of 35mm & 50mm for his style of shooting. Obviously that works for him. So if you want him to answer the question of 17/1.8 vs. 25/1.4, he'll just tell you to get both.

5. wayne

wayne Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    That may eventually happen. I tried setting my 12-50 at both 17mm and 25mm to see which FOV I liked better. Right now I'm slightly leaning towards the 25mm but I like the size of the 17mm.

6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    The 25 is a stellar lens. If you like and use the 50mm on a full frame, you'll love this lens. Clearly one of the best lenses made for the system.

Which POV you prefer, though, is something only you can answer.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    IMHO,
    Reviewers are caught between a rock and hard place.

-If they give favorable reviews, we say they're doing it for free stuff or over enthusiastic, etcetera...

-If they give negative reviews, then we blast them for not being objective, biased, etcetera...

• Like Like x 1
  8. wayne

wayne Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2012
    There is actually enough difference between the 17 and 25 that I can almost justify owning both.

9. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Yeah. One gives you the 35mm equivalent, the other gives you the 50mm equivalent.

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    That's a very good comment. I liked the review and the lens.

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    :cool: 
    Same here.

12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Yes, I agree. I have both and love them both. The focal length and DOF difference create a look that are sufficiently different.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.