Steve Huff Photo: E-M1 is Camera of the Year.

JamieW

Mu-43 Veteran
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/12/03/my-pick-for-camera-of-the-year-2013-the-olympus-om-d-e-m1/

It has everything one could want in a camera. It is a joy to use, to handle, to frame with. There are so many amazing lenses available for it that the choice is nearly unlimited in what you can do with it, and there are some flat-out astounding lenses for this camera, not just average quality lenses. The E-M1 “just works”.

The AF is blazing fast and accurate. The 5-Axis IS is the best in the business. The build is solid and pro. Weather, freeze and shock proof, and it really is. The EVF is the best in the entire digital camera world right now. The color it puts out is beautiful and the sharpness is very good, even for large prints. The lifetime and live bulb feature is one of a kind. The LCD is big and sharp and swivels. It is also the least expensive of the lot of cameras I have mentioned here. $1399 for a pro quality bullet proof body with the lenses available to do whatever you need. Olympus thought of and gave us their all, in one hell of a camera body.

JamieW

Mu-43 Veteran
haha, my trouble making days are long behind me. Besides, give them a minute and Panasonic will announce something even better. You've gotta love technology. :)

zapatista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Barber
Well if Steve Huff endorses the camera, I don't need to read anymore. Well maybe I'll check out if Ken Rockwell gives me permission to buy the E-M1 (through a link on his site that feeds his family).

radamo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rich
Or you could buy it from a link on this site and help Amin keep this excellent forum up. :p
RA

Well if Steve Huff endorses the camera, I don't need to read anymore. Well maybe I'll check out if Ken Rockwell gives me permission to buy the E-M1 (through a link on his site that feeds his family).

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
I hate it when people hate on SH/KR.

Admit it, part of you is jealous that they get to play with cameras all day and make a living off it.

Do I agree with SH/KR all of the time? Of course not. But...in a world where camera reviews focus on barely measurable differences in start-up times that, really, have no real-world relevance (just about every camera these days is fast enough), and charts in a studio, it's nice to have an average guy's opinion, who takes the camera, and puts it through its paces in the outside world.

JamieW

Mu-43 Veteran
Do I agree with SH/KR all of the time? Of course not. But...in a world where camera reviews..

Am I the only one who's internal voice immediately switched from Normal Guy to Hollywood Voice-Over right about here? :biggrin:

zapatista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Barber

Admit it, part of you is jealous that they get to play with cameras all day and make a living off it.

Do I agree with SH/KR all of the time? Of course not. But...in a world where camera reviews focus on barely measurable differences in start-up times that, really, have no real-world relevance (just about every camera these days is fast enough), and charts in a studio, it's nice to have an average guy's opinion, who takes the camera, and puts it through its paces in the outside world.

I feel complete and utterly shamed. I hope Ken Rockwell will forgive me.

Mstoeckle

Mu-43 Regular
Ohhh... That K. Rockwell... thae on e I used to go to with my dinosaur of a Nikon system... Good to see he's still pushing the Canikon systems, throw a Fuji X100 in there now I'm hip to small system.......Now I remeber why I went mirrorless. At least Steve Huff goes across brands of mirrorless and mirrored to weigh the newer options with advantages and disadvantages. Ohhh and he actually updates his sites, with actual product in hand! No cut and paste pics of Nikon gear.

dcisive

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I must admit I was surprised he chose the EM1, not because it doesn't deserve it, but because of his typical shooting desires. He has always tended to go with exotic or more expensive gear. On balance however he ain't wrong :)

zapatista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Barber
I must admit I was surprised he chose the EM1, not because it doesn't deserve it, but because of his typical shooting desires. He has always tended to go with exotic or more expensive gear. On balance however he ain't wrong :)

I'm absolutely sure that it has nothing...absolutely nothing to do with Olympus sending him to more exotic locales than Sony or Leica.

hkpzee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Patrick

I admit, I'm a closet SH fan! :blush:

Jokes aside, when I saw the finalists for Camera of the Year 2013, I knew he would choose the E-M1 unless he's out of his mind. Pure image quality aside, the E-M1 is able to do almost everything better than the other candidates, and like he said, "a camera is MUCH more than image quality (of which none of these cameras are lacking)..."

Now, I know fans of the GX7 will be peeving that it is not even included as one of the finalists... :eek:

wildwildwes

Mu-43 Veteran
Steve Huff's site was instrumental in speeding up my learning curve when I initially became interested in the M/43 format. His enthusiasm was amusing (even though his skills as a "professional" photographer weren't apparent in any of the photographs he posted). At the time he wasn't so blatantly shilling for EVERY piece of gear he "reviewed" (including used gear for which he posted links to). At a certain point his "review" style became very suspect as it was obvious that he got "paid" for directing prospective sales of gear through links to the various retailers he was partnered up with. That said, after reading a particularly nauseating "rave" I decided to post a comment as such following his rant. Well, suffice to say, I felt my comment was more objective in nature than he did and he promptly invited me to leave & not come back. As he put it, (words to the effect) it's my site and if you don't like it, you can take a hike! :wtf:

I too was surprised that he chose the E-M1 especially given his love of everything Leica... Its too bad that the internet has spawned so many self-professed prophets. Yeah, I'm a little jealous, but not that much!

dav1dz

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I thought A7r would have taken the cake this year for sure.

I actually like KR's writing on how to take better pictures though. Though I don't really FART like him.

SH did get to go on that trip to Isle of Skye... Along with all the other camera reviewers.

Nikstar65

Mu-43 Rookie
My dilemma is that I want to upgrade to the EM1 however stocks are Low in Australia for the Pro Kit Lens 12-40. So do I just buy the Body retailing at AUS$1445 or wait for the Lenses to be in stock.
I have the 12-50mm lens and have heard many reports that the fixed aperture on the 12-40mm is by far superior to the 12-50mm, however I do have the 17mm f/1.8, the 45mm f1.8 and 60mm f/2.8 prime lenses that would suit those low light conditions.
I would like to go travelling and think that a Zoom lens would be a great walk-around lens and easier to carry than having to change lenses all the time.
So do I give up the 12-50mm and pay an extra $700 for the 12-40mm or be happy with what I have in my kit and just get the body.
I have read so many opinions on this - it's starting to get by far my hardest decision with Camera Equipment.
Hoping someone in the same position as me give me some insight!

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
I thought A7r would have taken the cake this year for sure.

I really, really want to like the A7/A7R, but I suspect the reason it's not doing so hot in the "best of" competitions (or in the market) is the same reason I can't fall in love with it: The lack of glass...especially reasonably priced glass.

You can get a cheap kit (about $300 extra, I think) that gives you a ho-hum 28-70 3.5-5.6. That's neither wide nor long, nor fast...in fact...as far as the numbers go, it's the worst kit lens on the planet right now.

Then you have just 3 other lenses that fit, including a $1,000 55 1.8 (vs. the Canon/Nikon 50 1.8s flying off shelves for a little over $100), a 24-70 f4 for $1,200 (a full stop slower than the rest of the competition), and a 35 f2.8 for $800 (again, the rest of the field makes 35 1.8s - and in Sigma's case, a stellar 35 1.4 - for this much - or less - money).

I could certainly see myself wanting an A7/R, but I can't see myself wanting any of the glass available for it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom