1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Steve Huff just posted his RX1 review

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Amin Sabet, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Link: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/...view-part-1-an-intro-to-a-compact-powerhouse/

I won't hate on the guy for his enthusiasm, but this is becoming a pet peeve of mine:

If only getting great images easily were as simple as buying the next camera. I'd be ready to throw down my $3k right away. And Steve would be getting greater and greater results month after month :p.

On a related note, I'm not buying any cameras in 2013. Early New Year's Resolution. (Phone cameras don't count).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Like Like x 7
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    When they say stuff like this ; "... I could not get this shot with my Olympus OM-D because I did not have the right lens with me." I get annoyed.
    Had an argument with Kirk Tuck on the exact same point when he took the wrong lens and decided he couldn't focus quick enough on a cross-country runner. :rolleyes:
    If the RX1 had a built-in EVF even I would be looking to spend a huge wodge of cash on the thing!
    But it doesn't - so I'm not. simple as that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    This would be a great resolution idea for me that my wife would fully support!

On the other hand, I really would like to pick up a DP2M and a small m4/3 body would be nice. :biggrin: Hmmm... maybe I can get those purchases done before December 31, or modify my resolution to allow for selling other cameras to cover the cost of any new purchase.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That would be totally cheating, Kyle.

Now you're talking :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

5. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    I'll only say this. Would I buy one if I could? YES, IN A HEARTBEAT. Would I save and skip other fun things and pinch pennies for a year just to buy a pocket camera with a single focal length lens for $2800? Not in a billion years. I can't argue that it seems to be a wonderful camera, in the realm of Fuji X100 & Sigma SD2M only (arguably) better. But I'd have to win $2500 and not have kids' braces to pay for before I'd actually spend the cash for it.

For those who can afford it - enjoy! And share your shots!

P.S. On the EVF issue - both my mirrorless cameras have an EVF, and it's likely my next mirrorless camera will have an EVF, but so far I only use it 2% of the time. I wouldn't miss it on the RX1, but that's me.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Two things the RX1 is missing for me:

VF and 50mm lens.

Nice to see the camera, though, and I hope folks buy it in bundles, so it drives new FF mirrorless.

• Like Like x 2
  7. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    It might be expensive, but just think how much you would save on lenses if it was your only camera!

No wonder Steve Huff gets asked to review so many cameras, he likes 'em all!

I see his point about the OMD. I missed a great shot with mine today............because I didn't have it with me. The RX1 is so good that I'm sure if I didn't have it with me it would still get the shot. :biggrin:

Can anyone see why he was raving and wowing about the butterfly shot?

Despite my natural cynicism well done Sony for being first with this type of camera, it provides photographers with another option and yet more choice. I'm also sure it will prove to be a great camera.

8. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

Ken Rockwell has a lot to answer for.

Huff claims he works up to 14 hours a day on his web site and it is his sole source of income. The income arises from visitors to the site clicking on its adverts. Rockwell's site is also his sole source of income.

I have to admire them both. If talking nonsense makes them a living, good luck to them. I also talk nonsense, but it's all free. :wink:

• Like Like x 3
  9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I bet someone could program a 'random enthusiasm generator' to produce these style of reviews...add in a few keywords like model number and the brand, then various combinations of adjectives such as "leica-like" mixed with photography terms to produce the body of the work. It would be more efficient for those who use it as their full time jobs. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

10. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I can't say I have a particular problem with these writers...the trick is to understand who you are reading and filter accordingly. As far as I'm concerned its always interesting to read reviews like this about new gear, especially if its gear that in some way interests me...I'll always be able to gain at least something from these reviews.

Sick camera....brilliantly executed. Bodes well for the future where we may see a 50mm and EVF, and ultimately, a FF interchangeable lens compact. (The Holy Grail for many)

Bravo Sony for pushing boundaries and getting us closer to that.

• Like Like x 5
  11. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Man, I keep trying to forget this camera exists... thank God it's a 35mm fixed instead of a 50mm, or I'd be trying to figure out how to afford one! Full frame goodness in a compact package with a killer lens... I really hope we see more of this to come.

• Like Like x 2
  12. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't think I've ever made a new year's resolution I didn't break. As Oscar Wilde once said, "I can resist everything except temptation" and as Van Morrison once said, "It's too late to stop now".

Good luck on beating my record :)

13. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I never make resolutions....what's the point (I'm probably not going to keep them!)?
    Howvwer, that camera is very tempting, except for the lack of a EVF.

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Their stuff is free too! (unless you're making a Paypal donation to them) :smile:

15. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm sure the RX-1 is a wonderful camera... Notwithstanding that, BOTH Huff and Rockwell are what is WRONG with so called "professional" photographer "reviewers". They endorse just about EVERY camera that is about to be released and essentially are professional shills for the manufacturers and retail entities that DIRECTLY benefit from their blabbering. What's truly amazing to me is that ANYONE can start their own website and thus become a self-professed prophet (if willing to remain focused and diligent to the endeavor).

I don't necessarily "hate" on either Huff or Rockwell, but I do find their "review style" to be bordering on misleading and dishonest. That said, I did remove myself from Huff's mailing list after he figuratively ripped me a new hole essentially suggesting that I F-Off (words to this effect) after I posted a comment in response to yet another of his RAVES (in which I questioned his integrity, asserting the obvious; that his site is a huge income stream for him). This after receiving email updates from his site several times a day, often for nothing more than to alert his minion of yet another Leica lens deal at any one of the several retailers he provides direct links to (ka-ching...)

What's truly disturbing is just how many sheep-like followers these guys have -- it's as if they're waiting for their prophet to speak! It's like that ad on TV with the hot chick telling her friend that something is true simply because its on the internet (and then introduces her "french model boyfriend", who is actually a total unattractive dork!). One look at the images Huff posts with his reviews clearly evidence his photographic mediocrity.

There is none so blind as he who will not see...

• Like Like x 4
  16. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

AHahaahah I like it Cub and did u see shots in his website? They are even below average from composition point of view and sharpness and technical point of view as well. Leica M9 and Sony RX1 may be great cameras but I wont buy them simply because Stevehuff likes them. As Amin said , if buying next model camera will improve ur photography then life will much simple but its not like that .
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    So back to the RX1,.....
    I consider it to be a raw pioneer test - going where no one has gone before. Future versions of this type of camera (whether by Sony or someone else) will most likely be more refined....

If money were no object, I'd get one for "giggles & grins".....:smile:

18. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    So... He gets about $140 per purchase? (5%)
    Not bad :)

19. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Notice the one thing he doesn't rave about : AF speed.
    Read between the lines.

20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I can see how he'd get sick of those comments. As you said, it's obvious that he has a conflict of interest (COI) any time he reviews a product and asks people to use his affiliate links. I have the same conflict of interest here. However, understanding that the COI exists, there's no way to be certain that he lacks integrity. I expanded more on this here. When you post a comment on his site questioning his integrity, you're going after his sole source of income.

As I said above, I have no problem with his enthusiasm. It's a bit hard to take such that I don't end up reading his site often, but I don't have an issue with what boils down to "New toy... I love new toys". Where it crosses the line for me is the idea that you can get better results more easily with each new camera. This seems to come across in a lot of his reviews. I won't assume that he's being dishonest. Maybe he's just that enthusiastic. But as a concept, it's incorrect - you can hand some a Canon Rebel with the original EF 24mm f/2.8 and the other a Sony RX1 - 99% of the difference between their photos is going to come down to the person pushing the button.

• Like Like x 3