Steve Huff first look: NEX 7 w/ comparison shots to E-P3

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by krugorg, Oct 12, 2011.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It looks like Steve had a visit from Sony to drop off a production NEX7 along with the Zeiss 24mm.

The Sony NEX-7 & Zeiss 24 has arrived! My 1st look and video! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

This combo is not looking any smaller to me... check out his image with the NEX7 (Zeiss barrel non-extended, of course) in front of the X100 and E-P3. I know it is still smaller than a DSLR (and I know this horse is well beaten), but seems like we are pushing the whole compact system thing.

photo-9.

2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I don't want to bash other systems, but really - it was what turned me off the NEX system. I have yet to find a more apt description than the one given by Kai (of DigitalRev), something like it looks like a camera "that has an erec+!on." Well said. :smile:

3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    It seems like it's going to be a great camera with a lot of innovations. If I was looking for a DSLR I would give the Nex 7 serious consideration as an alternative. But I'm not. I want a truly compact system and the Nex isn't it, not least because of the lenses.

If only Sony had joined Micro Four Thirds - just think, this new Sony body, a little bit smaller with a 16mp Sony sensor and paired with any Olympus or Panasonic MFT lens you like. Wow! What a missed opportunity!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    My god it's ugly! Why do Sony have to make it look like a 1980s component Hi-Fi tuner???

• Like Like x 1
  5. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    The reason why we all think nex is so big is because we came to mu43 with understanding that we are getting almost pocketable cameras. More likely than not most mu43 user will not like nex because they based their decision on size and sacrificed minor picture quality. But there will be people who will be stepping down from dslr who have not used mu43, they will consider nex because relatively they are getting smaller size for very similar picture quality.

I for one have e-pl1. I am happy with my camera because I know why i bought it. I dont need to defend my choice. Everyone of my friend who own dslr, bought the camera and barely use it because its so big. My friends are not professionals btw. But it seems these days the dslr has become the new "compact".

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Having used an EPL2 + VF2, I do want Oly to release a body that rolls the VF2 into the Pen. Mainly so I can stop worrying if I've accidentally knocked off or damaged a $200 attachment.

So, I do understand the appeal of the NEX7, but I'm in agreement on the lens size.

7. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl: I definitely prefer the 60's Hi-Fi look of the X100 and 70's Hi-Fi Pen. Now we just need a 50s H.H. Scott or Fisher look with some brass knobs.... Panasonic XF1?

• Like Like x 1
  8. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Sorry, my original post was before coffee, so a little more anti-other brand than I had intended. Just seeing the image was an "ah-ha moment" for me - the E-P3 w/ 20 can go nearly everywhere with me, but there are going to be a lot of places where I would not want to take the NEX/24 setup.

I think you summed it up very well here!

9. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I don't find it to be overly large, and I actually think that (with the Zeiss 24mm lens) it will knock the X100 off it's current throne.

Again- I will wait until it gets into the hands of "regular folks" and not compensated pimps.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think the NEX and the X100 are very different cameras. Having said that, the X100 seems to be coming off it's throne. There are quite a number for sale over at FredMiranda (9 open sales right now, with listed prices starting to reach below $1000 now).

Looking at Steve's photos in full view, I like the EP3 better than the NEX. NEX7 photo looked poor -- like the resolution itself is weaker, but then it's overly sharpened to compensate (look at the bark on the trees).

Not sure, though, what Steve might have done with the photos, as they seem to be the same resolution, which would suggest resizing, so they're likely not the best to judge from.

11. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    A lot of people got caught up in the X100 hype. It's a good camera but maybe not a great as some had hoped.

12. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i just saw that... im such a gear junky, and i want to love the nex7... but its so UGLY
    i dont care if it magically makes all my pictures sell for $100 a pop... i couldnt carry that THING around! lol

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    But if he just downsized to match the resolution, that would only make the NEX7 images crisper and more defined, improving the image and not degrading it. That means the higher resolution of the NEX7, if the quality and detail of the capture was just as good, would still give the NEX7 the edge when both images are resized.

I looked at the images myself, and I will have to agree. The fine detail of the E-P3 is crisper and more defined. The NEX7 is smudgier. But damn is it hard to find the difference! They are both very comparable, though I say the E-P3 has a very slight edge. Considering though that the NEX-7 image was downsized from 24MP... that doesn't say much for the NEX.

14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It just looks oddly out of proportion. I think the thing that is hurting the X100 is cost. It fits a real niche market in terms of price point. Granted, the E-P3 is also expensive, but look how far the price has dropped on the E-P1 and 2. Those of us who can't afford the newest model just wait for a price drop.

15. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    too funny, who care what the camera looks like? it looks like a camera. as long as if doesn't have My Little Pony or Hello Kitty decals on it, who cares? Unless you like that sort of thing.

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    ...and what if you do? :frown:

17. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Looking at the full size version of the three images in Steve's site, IMO, the EP3 looks the best when focused on the tree trunk itself. Image is exposed well and lots of fine details. Image looks worst in the NEX (for the reasons noted by WT21 above). The X100 image looks slightly underexposed, but still looks better than the NEX.

As far as bokeh is concerned, the NEX has the smoothest bokeh of the three, and the EP3 the busiest.

What I'm really interested in seeing is if the 24 mp Sony sensor will perform equally as well as the 16 mp sensor with high ISO stuff. From looking at the A77's samples so far, I'm afrait that it won't, even though the NEX isn't losing any light to the translucent mirror. But we'll see.

18. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Exactly! I'd rather not have an extra 12MP, that do nothing, cluttering up my hard drives, if the 12MP of my E-P3 will do a better job anyway. :smile:

19. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    The camera actually looks pretty good....

BUT that 24 is huge! Optimus prime! Could they have made it faster?

20. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    1400 for the kit, 1000 for a decent prime...I guess it's a bargain if you're used to Leicas?

• Like Like x 1